Author Topic: Bringing Puppy Home  (Read 783 times)

Offline Rufus01

Bringing Puppy Home
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:04:02 PM »
Hello all, and happy Friday!

In less than 2 weeks my husband and I will be bringing home our lovely new pup, Rufus. The drive home will not be too long- about an hour, but I wondered if anyone has advice on how to make both the drive and things at home as relaxing as possible for him (he's been to the vet a short drive from the breeder's but I think that's it) ? From reading similar qns in old posts, it seems taking him straight in to the garden at home is a good idea...We are visiting him tomorrow and I know the 12 days afterwards will drag!!

Any thoughts on first day would be great

Thanks
Anna x

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
Re: Bringing Puppy Home
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
AS you are seeing the breeder tomorrow it may be worth thinking of questions ready, they can tell you what experiences Rufus has had. I found ours really helpful and looking back wish I ahd thought ahead a bit as I was a bit over come seeing our puppy to think straight! On the visit before we brought pepper home we took an old t shirt of mine for him to sleep with to get used to our smell. Good Luck

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:37:26 PM »
We found a DAP diffuser in the room the puppy sleeps in a good idea. It worked for ours.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Rufus01

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »
Great thanks did you find the tshirt helped as I am taking an old towel tomorrow so he has our scent?

I've heard lots of mentions of DAP diffusers but not too sure what they are or where you buy them?

Thanks

Offline Beezzzkneez

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:02:07 PM »
The towel idea is a good one, I slept with her doggy fleece blanket for a couple of days so it had my scent and the breeder used that blanket to rub down a couple of Maike's littermates. It seems to have helped her settle in and bond well with me. Decide on how to bring your pup home - I wanted to bring Maike home on my lap but took the crate as a precation. I was glad I did as she was way too energetic to safely travel on my lap, but once she was in the crate with her blanket she just snoozed the whole way home.
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »
Try not to arrange to pick the pup just after he's had his breakfast (or lunch/dinner) - some pups will be sick in the car otherwise.  Ideally if the breeder is able to let the puppy have a run round in the garden whilst you are there it will help for a easier journey as Rufus will be ready for a bit of sleep and there will be less chance for any toileting accidents in the car.

Have you decided what the night time routine will be? Will Rufus be downstairs, in a crate etc or upstairs with you for first nights etc?
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Rufus01

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
Thanks that's helpful - our breeder has been brilliant and said she will give him breakfast then we'll head over around 11am once he has been to the toilet, and had some exercise. Then when we get home it will be time for lunch!

I think we are going to crate train him, and at the moment the plan is for him to sleep downstairs. However, I am tempted to put the crate in our bedroom for the first few nights as I'm so aware he might be quite scared. I don't want that to become the norm though, so I'm undecided...I know that there are differnet views on this, and any advice gratefully received!  :D

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:19:08 PM »
re DAP diffuser: it stands for Dog Appeasing Pheramone. It apparently makes dogs feel chilled because it's the same pheramone a lactating bitch gives out, so the pup is comforted. Just type it into google and you'll find places that sell them. Alternatively you can usually buy it from the vet.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »
Hi, we picked up Dexter up at 10.30, our journey was shorter (15 mins). I had a fleece which we rubbed on his Mummy before we left and he sat on my lap with the fleece as good as gold. When we got home OH took our older dog out and I took Dexter into the garden so he could use the facilities, explore and have lunch in peace  ;)

I also spent time introducing him to his crate, he ate in there to start with and we played with him near and in it, and the Mummy scented fleece went in there - he quickly took to it as his place. We have the crate in our bedroom as Charlie sleeps in our room, so it's where Dexter will end up sleeping. I would start the crate where you want him to sleep as moving it after he's settled there might unsettle him. He did cry for the first few nights and I laid next to the crate to settle him, after a few days he settled straight away.  Now he just wakes up and cries at 4-4.30 am to go out for a pee.

Good luck with your new pup, I hope the next few days go quickly for you  :D
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline karen488

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:00:53 PM »
Darcey was crated in our room at first. She never cried. Think it was reassuring for both of us. Good luck. It's such an exciting time!!!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 10:23:07 PM »
When we got Willow home after about an hour and 3 quarter drive she weed in the garden then then as soon as we got her inside she did a huge sloppy poop.  :005: :005: Although i can say at the time I was not laughing, all over my THEN cream carpet. lol

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
I would start as you mean to go on, put the crate where you want it to stay otherwise he may get confused. He may settle in it in one place but then if it's moved you have to start over IMO.

I feel the same about paper training and puppy pads, my puppies have always gone straight outside. I did try pads with one of my litters as they were too young to go outside but the pads were dragged all over the house and then shredded :005:
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »
I would start as you mean to go on, put the crate where you want it to stay otherwise he may get confused. He may settle in it in one place but then if it's moved you have to start over IMO.

I feel the same about paper training and puppy pads, my puppies have always gone straight outside. I did try pads with one of my litters as they were too young to go outside but the pads were dragged all over the house and then shredded :005:

i also agree this and this is exactly what i done with Diesel, although Diesel does not have a crate he has only always had a bed in the kitchen diningroom. The OH wanted to let him sleep in our bedroom when he cried a little on the first night however i said no as he would get used to it quicker and after the first night he was excellent.
As for toilet training i took him outside straight away and the one time i did put a puppy pad/training pad down he just chewed it.
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11