Author Topic: How Did You Choose Your Puppies Names?  (Read 7502 times)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
How Did You Choose Your Puppies Names?
« on: February 22, 2005, 03:41:34 PM »
We should get our baby in 6 long weeks. We have been discussing names since conception! And are no nearer agreeing. OH has now said that as it's a girl I can choose her name but when we get the next one(??) it'll be a boy and HE'LL choose his name. I'm not sure what I am more concerned about, planning a second puppy before we've had the first  :blink:  or what he'll call it going on the names he's come up with so far!! He'll call after a football player!!  :(

Any way names I like are:
Rosie
Lottie
Bonnie
Millie
Ebony
Poppy

He likes:
Roxy

And the kids are no help either!! How did you choose and did you change your mind once you got him/her home?

Offline scooby's mum

• Site Member
  • Scooby & Misty's Mum
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 05:44:58 PM »
The kids chose Scooby's name - my little boy Aaron is absolutely mad on Scooby Doo and when we decided to get a pup he said it had to be Scooby for a boy or Daphne for a girl - so we had to get a boy  :D  :D  :D  Husband said no way is he calling a dog Daphne.

Anyway, we are now (hopefully) planning for a second pup in 6-12 months time (once Scooby's 1 and over his operation).  We hope to get a bitch and have already told Aaron that my daughter Amber can name the next one, and she hates Daphne - thank god  :rolleyes:

Still am a little nervous though over what she'll choose - if I had my way Scooby would have been called Elvis (I can even put his hair into a quiff) or Enrique (after Iglesias), cause I adore him - but I suppose they're even dafter than Scooby.

Everyone laughs when I tell them Scooby's name - but I think it's cute  :lol:

Good luck in choosing - let us know (what colour is your pup?)
Love Joanne, Misty & Scooby

Offline Laura

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 05:49:59 PM »
Brogan came from mixing up the letters of Orange = Erogan.  The E looked like a B so then got changed to Brogan  :D I didn't like the name though but wrote it down anyway and then it grew on me and after a while just couldn't imagine anything else  :P  Brogue the Rogue!

My daughter wanted the name Bailey for Brogan - so when we picked our 2nd pup - she nagged for that name again.  When Bailey came home - we discovered the breeder had also given him the pedigree name of Bailey's Prince - oh and yes I do enjoy the tipple as well occasionally  ;)  :lol:  
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

sweetie

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 05:59:56 PM »
jasper was oh choice although i did like it,i wanted to call him kit,glad i didn,t now,he looks like a jasper,mabel was going to be gracie-may,but when i saw her again,she looked like a little old lady with a scarf on ,and mabel came to mind,and stayed,she really suits it,and we love it  :lol:

p.s. love the name daphne,scooby,s mum ;)  

tracee

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 06:04:32 PM »
amber got her name because of her colouring
 cambell got his because his  dad was called haymish and we wanted something scottish
  mena got hers because im welsh and wanted a welsh name
  i have no idea why i called harvey,    harvey he just looked like a harvey
  devon got her name because it was unusual .
i never name ours until we get them after a while a name will just pop in to my head

Offline padandmurph

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 06:05:08 PM »
When we chose our first puppy we tried to find a name that me, my husband and our son could all agree on.  I came up with quite a few nice ones, my husband suggested Dave and my son wanted to call it Dick (he was only 5 at the time!).  Obviously I didn't agree with either, then one of us (cant remember who) said Paddy and it just seemed to suit the puppy and we went for that one.

With our second puppy, I had set my heart on the name Monty before I had even seen the dog but my husband suggested Murphy. It goes so well with Paddy that I couldn't refuse and we got a tag engraved before I could change my mind again!

So now we've got Paddy and Murphy and I'm glad we settled on those two.

It's very difficult to find a name that doesn't sound too silly and one that the whole family agree on. I do think that Lottie sounds nice.

Good luck!

Offline Jo & Dennis

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 06:07:15 PM »
Hi

I like Millie.

Holly was going to be Millie but we decided on Holly because she was born on Christmas Day so that helped. I agree though we went through this it is a nightmare 'cos you just want everything to be right. Hope the time till she comes home doesnt drag too much for you I'm sure you wont be dissapointed when she arrives, just enjoy looking forward to her arrival.

Jo, Dennis and the gorgeous Holly

Holly's Mum & Dad

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 06:08:21 PM »
We put all the names we liked in a bowl and picked them out until one was left (very technical)  :D .
Cayley.

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 06:32:07 PM »
:rolleyes: Was'nt sure what to call Georgie and a friend at work was thinking of names for her new grandchild and came up with Georgia, the name Georgie then popped into my head :blink:   Daisy's kennel name is Powerscourt Petit Fleur so I was looking for a flower name and decided I liked Daisy also I remember as a child having an aunty Daisy who was really nice.   :D

PS I love Millie, Rosie and Lottie - not much help am I  :rolleyes:   Hope the time soon passes for you x  :)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 06:33:56 PM »
My daughter chose Molo's name - she was 3 at the time, and made it up - but when we looked it up it turned out it is a real word in the South African language Xhosa, Nelson Mandela's native tongue - and it is a "friendly greeting" - what better name for a ECS?  :lol:.

We had decided on his name by the time his breeder got the KC names sent to her - so we chose Muscadet (the litter were named after fine wines) as Molo could be considered a shortening of his KC name  :)

Why not let your children decide......you can be a bit adventurous with dogs names, as dogs don't get teased in the playground  :ph34r:

Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2005, 06:41:34 PM »
For the dogs we've had over  the years:

Floyd after Pink Floyd

Harley after the bike

Sasha because its a soft sounding name which is short for Alexandra (which
means black...and she was!) Very convoluted I know!

Scully after character on the X Files (OH to blame :rolleyes: )

Oscar named by my son after tv prog called Oscar and Friends

Cats we've had have been

Ted because thats what all the Sark lads used to call each other...but it got lengthened to Mr Bear :lol:

Moose after Mork the Moose on Northern Exposure

Libby (bizarrely chosen by OH)

Indie cobbled out of Cagebrook In Dreams which was Sasha's KC name

Thomas after Thomas the Tank Engine (my son again)

Toby after Toby the tram engine (my son again)

My horse over the years:

Fred because his show name was way too long :lol:  ie Prestatyn Morning Light :lol:

Oliver, TinTin, Sox and Gamble because they were already called those names :D

http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2005, 07:06:01 PM »
Well the kids seemed to have the final say with both our dogs :lol:

The kids were very young when we got Goldie and because she is a golden lab they wanted that name and nothing else :rolleyes:

Lottie is my daughters puppy, her 13th birthday pressie. She made a list of names but decided on Lottie very quickly and stuck with it.

Good Luck with the choosing......I have a preference for Lottie though :rolleyes: ...no surprise there. :lol:  

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2005, 07:52:38 PM »
Our baby is solid black and I think Ebony is looking a distinct possibility. Someone on here suggested it when I first posted that she'd been born. Eldest son left home next weekend and was most miffed we were getting a dog as he was worried Gizmo our cat would be put out. Nick (15) just doesn't want a 'woosy' name. Adéle (12) is a Mummy's girl and will agree with anything I like  :D I have suggested that we wait til we get her but OH says "NO, she needs a name". My in laws have always had Scotties and Westies and had Scottish names for them. The current one is Angus. Previously they had Hamish and Jock who they lost within 6 months of each other. A friend quite seriously suggested Jessibelle  :huh: Oh well I guess we'll sort something out in the next 6 weeks!

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2005, 07:55:10 PM »
:) How about Cinders?  think thats quite pretty for a black female  ;)  
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Annette

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2005, 08:42:18 PM »
Sorry no help to you at all from here. Our new pup is to be our son's. He wanted him to be a friend so he chose Buddy as a name.

We only collect our pup this Saturday so it's too early to say whether we will change it once he arrives, but I doubt it, though I have been known to refer to him as Bud already.

If our dog turned out to be a girl we would have been in the same position as you, though Bella was considered for a while.

For what it's worth, I like Bonnie (do you think I just have a thing for names beginning with B, my son is Ben!!?)

Hope you can soon decide. Let us know!

:P