Author Topic: First walk ..I'm exhausted!  (Read 1244 times)

Offline black taz

Re: First walk ..I'm exhausted!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »
jan,  start the recall training asap (follow the recall sticky) i did when i got my lab and she is really good off lead.

With regards to the ball launcher, try my suggestion of drilling a hole through the handle end and put a hook of some type through it that way you can hang it from a bag so you dont have to carry it.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »

If your Cocker is ball obsessed, can I offer some words of caution about ball launchers - don't use them on every walk, and don't over-use them - it was one of the things that seriously led to Honey's utter obsession with tennis balls (to the point of guarding them, digging them up on walks when she's sniffed them out from 6 inches of mud, refusing to return them, shredding them, stealing them from other dogs, burying them in the garden and bouncing up and down beside us if she could smell one on one of us...)

They're great things if used carefully, and most dogs love them, but if your pup has already proven to be fairly ball obsessed do be careful not to unleash a beast...  ;)
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »

If your Cocker is ball obsessed, can I offer some words of caution about ball launchers - don't use them on every walk, and don't over-use them - it was one of the things that seriously led to Honey's utter obsession with tennis balls (to the point of guarding them, digging them up on walks when she's sniffed them out from 6 inches of mud, refusing to return them, shredding them, stealing them from other dogs, burying them in the garden and bouncing up and down beside us if she could smell one on one of us...)

They're great things if used carefully, and most dogs love them, but if your pup has already proven to be fairly ball obsessed do be careful not to unleash a beast...  ;)

Have to agree with Karma here. My girls love the ball but know that when I put it in my pocket that is it.  Game over.  ;)
After it is put away the girls accept it and they then run off and do lots of sniffing and exploring, which I think is important too.

Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
Karma thanks for those words of caution but I think we are dealing with her obsession a lot better now than a few months ago. We now put tennis balls away when we are in the house. Occasionally we play find the ball with her in the house/garden which she loves (I think....but this was one of the reasons for putting them away...I thought her wagging her tail the whole time she was hunting for them was a good thing ..she was happy....but now from reading on here I can see that it can mean she's stressed too). Whenever I take her for weekend walks off lead I don't take the ball and now that it's dark in the evenings I don't take it then either. She gets it when the boys take her during the day or when I take her in the mornings.

Took the 2 of them off lead today and it was still a problem but more from the 2 muddy dogs to wipe and get into the car point of view. Also Bobby wasn't keen to walk when Roxy was running to and fro. Didn't help that she bundled him over a few times poor baby.

We have been taking them for separate walks as much as possible and I am working really hard on her lead walking to try to get the pulling cracked before I have 2 of them doing it!

Will check out the recall thread though BlackTaz - thanks for that :)
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.