Author Topic: Naughty Impatient Mummsy :)  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
Re: Naughty Impatient Mummsy :)
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
I got Lottie from a litter of 10 pups, and had the pick of the 6 (all black) that were not reserved yet.  It was so hard but in the end
she really picked me!  :005:
Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »
I spoke to Penny's breeder before the pups were born. She had two pregnant girls and as I wanted a girl we agreed that if there was a 'spare' girl born i.e. one that the breeder didn't want to keep herself, she could be mine. It was a nerve wracking wait but when she phoned me and offered me Penny I was over the moon. Sadly, Penny's wee litter-mate didn't make it, so it was brought home to me how vulnerable new-born pups are.

I was like you, Charlene, in a fever of excitement, and hoping against hope Penny would be okay because there wasn't another pup available. I even went as far as phoning another breeder just in case Penny didn't make it! But happily she did  :luv:

Although I didn't have a choice, I went to meet her a couple of times - loved the kennels, liked the breeder, and those waiting weeks were the slowest EVER!

I think I gave the breeder the deposit on the first visit.

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »

Surely plenty of reputable breeders essentially have their pups "reserved" long before birth - we're always advising people that it can take a long time to find a good breeder as they often have waiting lists long before the actual mating takes place...
I'm not sure why there's an issue about Charlene having one of the five (the exact one to be selected later) black boys reserved for her...

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Evadee

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »
Charlene you are doing nothing "wrong" at all, gosh it seems it is an emotive subject though doesn't it?  ph34r

With our Tia we visited and reserved her at 2 weeks old. 

With our new boy Jake, we verbally reserved him at about 5 days old (this was the same breeder and the same parents as Tia) I sent a cheque in the post for a deposit (I was not asked, I volunteered this) we obviously already knew the breeder, had built up a relationship and trusted them.  The breeder chose him for us out of the two chocolate boys (we wanted a chocolate boy) and I trusted their decision.

We were fully aware both times that things can "go wrong", with Tia she was the last one to be reserved in the litter. But with Jake there were still other pups unreserved for a while so I guess we would have chosen another one, as it happened they were originally a litter of 7 but they sadly lost a little girl in the first 24 hours  :'(

Both times we would have accepted it as fate and meant to be whatever happened,

It sounds to be like you have started to build up a great relationship with this breeder  ;)  I think sometimes it's difficult on a forum and statements can seem a tad blunt sometimes, I don't think anyone means to rain on your parade  ;)

Bet you are counting the days to viewing them all  :D

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »
I am really pleased that you are so excited about your new addition - personally I think you are mad!  ph34r :005: but then I don't think I am as dedicated a cocker owner as most on here are!

(BTW - and I am not trying to pour cold water on your excitement - have you done plenty of research about handling an adolescent pup and an 8 week old in the same household? I have no experience at all and I know plenty on here do, that's all)

The best of British to you - 8 weeks will fly by!
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »

Surely plenty of reputable breeders essentially have their pups "reserved" long before birth - we're always advising people that it can take a long time to find a good breeder as they often have waiting lists long before the actual mating takes place...
I'm not sure why there's an issue about Charlene having one of the five (the exact one to be selected later) black boys reserved for her...

Perhaps its because the Breeder hasn't actually met Charlene  :-\

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2011, 07:14:22 PM »

Nobody is trying to rain on anyone's parade or saying there's an issue as such - just giving a tiny reality check about the vulnerability of newborn litters and the risks of firmly reserving pups this age, especially when breeder and future new owner haven't even met yet. I don't actually think there are many breeders who "reserve" puppies long before birth - what breeders might do is draw up a list of potentially interested puppy seekers before the birth but that's not the same as reserving pups. It's an emotive subject and even breeders won't agree on everything eg I don't see the point in letting people visit a litter at 2 weeks old because pups barely have their eyes open at that age and will be sleeping most of the time but other breeders like Charlene's obviously feel differently, c'est la vie.

Jane

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »
I can see where you all are coming from and it's good to get breeders inputs also
Although we haven't met yet she has drilled me as such about me my partner our situation our house and diesels temprement and seemed happy enough with our arrangement of our home and hours and current dog - I think that due to me gettin to know the studs breeder also and her confirming that she also would be happy to sell a pup to me meant that she had a second opinion of me (all be it over the phone) - she did say that it is best to pick one when litter 4 weeks but to one down to meet her and the mum and so that I can see I I would be happy with her and the mum. We have had about 3 or 4 hour plus conversations which is more than we had with diesel breeder - we were asked no questions.
She has said that she is happy to sell me a pup with the conversations and questions answered and that I will have pick of the litter when I go down when I decide o choose which pup all be it at 2 weeks or the recommended 4 weeks - I automatically took a shine to her after our first 1 hour convo as it seems she did me - we talked about lots of different things. Also I have said that I would also visit the studs breeder with the pup and diesel as I also took a shine to her. Like I say I am happy for any feedback - and appreciate it :-)
Diesel has been a great pup and still is - he never has chewed the furniture was excellent with toilet training all his training seems to be great and both me and other half are in this together. Diesel has been am easy puppy to deal with and I know that having 2 may be difficult but I am extrememly dedicated as is OH - we have spoke about having the two so young and also spoke with the breeder(s) about this also. They seem to be happy with the way we plan on dealing with it and that we are not going into it blindly - I do understand that some people don't agree with getting 2 so close together and I'm sure there will be times that I'll put up a post for issues that I come across with two where some will say told you so  :005: but our animals will always be for life and I would never consider a second one if I thought that we couldn't cope with it
As Jane said you are all only trying to ensure I know what I'm letting myself in for - the exact reason I joined this site if for advice all be it for the good comments and the ones that may seem to 'rain on my parade' If you know what I mean  :luv:
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Loudon

• Donator
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2011, 08:23:43 PM »
And now a word of warning about black cockers - you can't see them in the dark.

Ha, ha I don't think you are joking. My Lucy is a dark blue roan and her daughter is a light blue. I was out with my pal Rob and Bria his golden lab  and my two along the Clyde Valley and it was getting dark. I said to Rob " I have lost Lucy" as I could only see the other two.

But there she was up the path looking back thinking "Why is that idiot shouting my name, I'm here". She just does merge into the background.  :005: A solid black must be impossible to see at night.  :lol2:

I wonder if these flashing led collars are any good?  :huh:

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »

Perhaps its because the Breeder hasn't actually met Charlene  :-\

That is what's worrying me  :-\.
Cayley.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2011, 08:59:20 PM »
I am so pleased for you Charlene and can't wait to see pictures of Riley.

I found Ellie on the day that she was born, in that 'a puppy was reserved for me' and I was to have first choice when the breeder let us go to see them at 5 weeks.  There were blue and orange roans in the litter, I wanted a blue roan just like Sophie who we had just lost, OH wanted an orange roan and the breeder wanted me to have an orange roan as she thought I would be comparing if I had another blue roan.  The breeder was so lovely she said I didn't have to make my mind up until I saw the puppies.  She made my mind up for me by meeting us at the end of their lane with a gorgeous orange roan of hers (she did tell me she did it deliberately).  Ellie is orange roan.

Stock up on your thermals for potty training.  We brought Ellie home on the 30th December, the day she was 8 weeks old.  The breeder had sent her home with a little fleece jacket which was a godsend as it was freezing cold.  Have to say when I look at the jacket now I can't believe Ellie was ever small enough to wear it.  She loved that jacket.  And she loved the garden.  She had the free run of it from day one and as she was snuggly warm in her fleece it was nothing for her to be out there for up to an hour.  Conversations with OH ran like this:  'It's your turn now, no it's not I did the last one, no you did not I did, well I have to go out now, well if I do it will you keep bringing me hot drinks'.  We were so muffled up when we were out there we would have bounced if we had fallen over.  Ellie, she thought it was great.

Will there be some way of identifying Riley when you choose him.  I only say this as I know someone who bought a black labrador puppy.  She went to choose him at about 4 or 5 weeks and then went back for him at 8 weeks.  The puppies all looked identical and when she went to bring him home she asked the breeder how she knew which were the ones people had chosen.  The breeder owned up that she didn't, she just made a note who wanted a boy and who wanted a girl, then when they came for them she gave them a boy or a girl.

Wishing you many many years of happiness with Riley and Diesel.  I walk next door's golden cocker and her and my orange roan look lovely together.  Just like your two will.

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2011, 10:01:12 PM »
The breeder text me tonight to let me know pups are all doing great and that they all have little soft colleges collars so she can tell them apart :-)
My name is Diesel

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2011, 10:01:58 PM »
Cayley - can I ask how it worries you - just curious sorry  :-\
My name is Diesel

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2011, 10:05:34 PM »
Oooooh errrrrr this thread has gone quite strange  :shades:  

I didn't pick Quinn, he was born and he was mine before I'd met any of the litter, he was the only gold boy so I didn't have to choose.   I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with having a puppy reserved at all - I'd been waiting absolutely ages for a gold boy and was promised he was mine if he was right for us.    

With Indie I had pick of the girls and I hadn't met the breeder until we went to view.  

Offline black taz

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2011, 10:14:43 PM »
with regards the black dogs in the dark - the flashing collars work fine.