Author Topic: Routine  (Read 704 times)

Offline Dylan11

Routine
« on: December 13, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
Looking for advice regarding organising a routine for our 12week old Jasper.We have had him 4weeks.We have managed to arrange for me or my partner to be around for the last 4weeks. One of us will be around until 4th Jan. We have left him alone for max 2 and Half hours in preparation for both of us working. He has had the odd accident in his crate when we have left him.What I need is a routine when I return to work 2days per week from 7.15 til 3.15. Partner will be around til 8.15 although he will have to take 3kids to take to breakfast club. Should we have a routine 7days per week or just the days I work?Also what time to give meals and take for walks. All advice appreciated

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
Re: Routine
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:29:52 AM »
I'd say its a very long time to leave a pup still.  Can you arrange for someone to pop in to break up the day? (a dog walker/friend/family?) He still needs a meal around lunchtime and will also need to be let out for a few toilet breaks.  7 hours IMO is way too long to be left in a crate  :-\ 

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 08:45:01 AM »
I completely agree. 7 hours is an awfully long time to leave him at 14-15 weeks (I have a 15 week old now and can't imagine leaving him that long - he would go stir crazy and would be very lonely too). Even with someone coming in to let him out of his crate part-way through the day 7 hours is a long lonely time for him even if it is just for 2 days a week.

It's a struggle when you are working - I know this first hand. For 2 weeks out of 5 my oh works away and for those 2 weeks it means a lot of very early mornings for me so that I can spend time with the dogs before work. You will need to take Jasper for about a 15-20 min walk before he is left in the morning and then I would suggest feeding him once you get back, hopefully then he will sleep for a while. You should, by now, know roughly how much he tends to sleep during the day. The other issue you may have is if he is sleeping a lot during the day he may become more active and demanding in the evenings and even at night :( It is very difficult with dogs and routines. My oh's son works shifts so some mornings they are woken up at 4.45 if he is on days, other days it's 6.30 if he comes in from nights and then other days we ideally want them to sleep longer - needless to say they are not keen so I find we are getting up fairly early all the time.

If I were you I would try to find a dog walker who can get him out halfway through the day and spend some time with the little fella - good luck :)
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline EmmaF

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:48:47 AM »
7 hrs is too long for such a young dog.

I have my dog walker come in 3 times a week for all my dogs and my bro has lulu the other days.

Most dog walkers do puppy play for 30 mins. It's not too expensive. Then when she's old enough maybe take her out on walks. It's done lulu a world of good being out with someone else other than me and meeting all diff dogs (other than the other 17 dogs we spend our time with when training  :lol2: )

The times no ones there try a stuffed kong or treat ball. This was her 4th meal as she was feed 4 times a day til she was 16 weeks old.

Lu also has a puppy pen around her cage so she's got more room when I'm out which I just fold away when it's not in use.

Offline Beezzzkneez

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »
We left our pup for 4 - 5 hours a day from the very beginning, but on the days we both work all-day (which is only twice a week) OH pops home for lunch so Maike gets some stimulation and exercise and her meal. We also don't keep her locked in her crate during that time but babygated in the upstairs hallway with her crate and a load of blankets, some toys and a filled kong so she can keep herself entertained. I would say it's quite important that someone pops in for her lunch, especially at the beginning. If you don't have anyone who can do that, maybe a pet sitter might help.
Bee

Maike is our lovely golden working Cocker, born 12/07/11

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »
Don't worry about keeping the routine the same 7 days a week.  Dogs learn pretty quickly which day it is.

they will know by your actions whether you are going to work or staying at home and will act accordingly.

7 hours does seem a long time to keep a puppy crated, but i do know others that have done so with someone in at lunchtime for a walk.  My collie cross was left for about 6-7 hours a day a three times a week, but she was about 5 yrs old before i started leaving her that amount of time.

Offline Dylan11

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
Thanks for comments I can probably come back at about 11am from work to let him out and then hopefully get a friend to let him out again at 1pm. It's not easy I have already dropped a day maybe I might have to think about working weekends then I will be around during the week.

Offline Dimples

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 12:20:28 PM »
I wouldnt worry too much. It generally works out ok.

I agree with all the others - 7 hours is far too long for a young one. However as they get older it can be extended.

As for routine. Robbie has 3 routines in his week:

Mon / Tues / Fri - he comes to work with me and its a set day - 8am walkies /8.45 -11am quiet time / 11am walkies / 11.30-1pm quiet time / 1pm till 1.30 walkies / 3pm home time

Tues/Thur - he stays at home till 9.30am - mum picks him up for day until 4pm. Then home time.

Sat/Sun - lay in days - walkies rarely before 10am then whatever the day brings us.

Robbie knows exactly what days are what by what clothes i put on and my actions in the morning. Sounds crazy but he just does.

They have to fit into your routine basically and my advice to you - is have a routine for the days you work and then another for those that you dont. If you are in the same routine 7 days a week you'll be doing early morning walks every day!!  :005:

Good luck and welcome to the forum xx
Denise - lucky mum of gorgeous (and cheeky) Robbie xx

Now 9 years old