Author Topic: Riley and an update on our circumstances  (Read 6468 times)

Offline Megatron

• Donator
Re: Riley and an update on our circumstances
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »
I'm really sorry things didn't work out for you. I understand where you are coming from as I love Meg so much I often wonder what it would be like having a second dog in the home. I guess we should just enjoy what we have and not always want more! Good luck to you and Diesel. I' m glad the pup is happy in his new home.

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2011, 04:26:57 PM »

Charlene, Sorry to hear things have not worked out with Riley, but he is still in your close family and you can see him.  As Diesel grows older you might find they get on better together. I think you made a hard but sensible decision, and you thought of Riley. Glad to hear he is now a happy pup and settling in with your OH Mum and Dad.

It will be good to hear from you again on the forum, and pics etc of Diesel as he grows up.   Take care and please don't be too hard on yourself.

Erica, Dylan & Jessie.

Offline Kaz

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »
Hi Charlene,

Was wondering how you got on with the new addition, obviously everyone will have their opinions on the situation, but at the end of the day it has nothing to do with any of us. We have all made mistakes in the past, is Diesel your first dog? Anyway here's hoping that peace resumes quickly and maybe enjoy having him all to yourself.

Don't worry about OH he will come round, they usually do... Maybe the dogs will get on later in life if they meet on neutral ground. Either way, hope both dogs are feeling a bit more settled as are you and your OH.

Kaz

Offline Manster62

• Dylan and Daisy
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 04:42:20 PM »
Hi Charlene,

Good to see you back on here, even if it isn't the best of news.

I'm so sorry that things didn't work out - and as many others have said, it can happen at any time. I had fears of Dylan rejecting Daisy when we got her. Thankfully he didn't, but it could have so easily gone the other way. Personally, I don't think that age necessarily is a major factor.

I think you were incredibly brave to make the decision to re-home Riley and hopefully, in time, your OH will come round to things. You never know, at family gatherings Diesel and Riley might even get on, once Diesel realises that he's not coming back to live with you.

Don't be too hard on yourself (though I know it's not always easy). Be happy that Riley has a lovely home where he seems very happy and enjoy Deisel every day.

Welcome back  :D

Mandy, Dylan and Daisy xx
Dylan - b: January 2010  and  Daisy - b: March 2011
RIP Meggie - b: February 1997  - d: December 2009

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2011, 04:57:43 PM »
 :luv:

loads of love to you all - you got a pup, things didn't work out but you made a brave decision and rehomed the pup and the best thing of all is that you rehomed him to a loving family, part of your own family where you can keep an eye on him and still love him  :D ;)

well done for posting the update too - some wouldn't have

Glad to hear that Riley is settled in his new home and that Diesel is getting back to his normal loving self

:luv: :luv: :bigarmhug:

Offline starboy

• Site Member
  • Theo and Apollo
    • Starboy
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2011, 04:59:32 PM »
So sorry that things haven't worked out with Diesel and Riley. It must have been so difficult deciding to let him go but at least you will still have contact with him. I'm sure you Oh will soon come to terms with what has happened and will be popping along to his parents on a regular basis. Welcome back  :D
From the Darby family

Offline Darwin

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2011, 05:16:57 PM »
Sounds as if you've had a horrible couple of weeks.  So here's a  :bigarmhug:
No one can predict how two dogs will react when they're introduced.  You've done everything you can and now you're ensuring both Diesel and Riley have the best cocker life possible. 

Offline aliceandlouis

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
Hi there Charlene - really sorry to read all that you have been through in the past few weeks - sounds like an awful time for you all, so hugs all round  :bigarmhug:

However, I applaud you and your OH for the decision you have made - you kept Diesel and Riley's best interests first and foremost in your thinking and made the only decision you could have under those circumstances for the welfare of both dogs.  It will take some time for you all to adjust after all that has happened, but in the end I am sure there will be two happy,well-balanced little cockers bringing joy to those around them - which is the best possible outcome for all concerned.

It will be nice to see you on the forum again and read more about Diesel's escapades and development.  Welcome back  :D

Offline black taz

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 05:41:21 PM »
sorry it hasnt worked out for you getting a second dog  it must have been heartbreaking for you.  Some dogs are made to be in a "multiple" dog family, some aren't.  Personally i dont think it has anything to do with age, more temperment, so even if you had waited another year exactly the same thing could have happened.

You have done the right thing by both dogs though, and at least you can see Riley on a regular basis and know that you have found a good home for him.

take care, and extra cuddles for Diesel

Offline Sharonb

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 06:11:19 PM »
I am sorry to hear about Diesel and Riley but I think you have done the right thing and I am sure Riley will have a great life like Diesel does.
We got Bella when she was 2 and a half and my mum got her sister. They also lived with 3 other dogs at the time. I had visions of them always being best friends but about a year ago Bella would start to growl at Tilly when she came near anyone she was sitting with and then eventually would pin tilly down. It was so upsetting and so I had a behavourist come round (mentioned a lot on here and a few COLers seem to go to her seminars). she was great and gave me lots of good advice which we did but Bella was so unhappy and it wasn't fair on tilly either so we made the decision that we would not take them in each others houses. Bella now seems much happier and we meet every week for a long walk and they get on great but I know that I can never expect anything more, so hopefully if introduced again one day on neutral ground Diesel and Riley will be able to share walks.
Sharon x

Offline Millies_Mum

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 06:13:42 PM »
Oh Charlene!! , what a rollercoaster time you have had over the last few weeks!!  :'(

I'm truly sorry that Diesel and Riley did not see eye to eye, but take comfort in the fact you KNOW that little Riley is in a good and loving home and you can still see him and watch him grow up.  :luv:

I can't imagine how you and your OH felt having to make the heartbreaking decision but I amongst others am glad to see you back online and hopefully the fantastic COL'ers can help get you through this with their support!  :bigarmhug:

Love n hugs to you all

Heather xx

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 06:17:09 PM »
 plenty of these Charlene  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

I spoke out as I did, for this very reason  :'(  ......for you too, aswell as both the pups   :'( 

Without wanting to patronise you Hun - you are young & I could see the pitfall & heartache ahead of you. I would say it again too, if the situation arose - if it could stop someone from feeling the pain you & especially your OH feel right now, then it would be worth it.
Life is a lesson - every minute of every day, opportunities come along that can help mold us to the person we choose to be - some lessons much harder than others. This, I guess, a most painful one for you but because of where you have been, you too will be able to give advice & use the lesson you have learnt to help someone else from making the same mistake  :angel:

Advice from others on the forum is quite often first hand knowledge & experience & given to help, not to mar anyones happiness   ;) :luv:

By ignorance we mistake - by mistakes we learn  ;)

glad you have come back hun   :-*    it is never my intention nor place to upset a fellow member to leave the forum  :016:

Hi Charlene,

Was wondering how you got on with the new addition, obviously everyone will have their opinions on the situation, but at the end of the day it has nothing to do with any of us. We have all made mistakes in the past, is Diesel your first dog? Anyway here's hoping that peace resumes quickly and maybe enjoy having him all to yourself.

Don't worry about OH he will come round, they usually do... Maybe the dogs will get on later in life if they meet on neutral ground. Either way, hope both dogs are feeling a bit more settled as are you and your OH.

Kaz

Whilst I respect what you are saying Kaz & understand your meaning, surely a public forum isn't the place to air your views, thoughts, wishes & to ask advice if you think it has nothing to do with the people you are communicating with - even asking someones opinions is inviting them to have 'something' to do with the subject   :dunno:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 06:36:14 PM »
Well, I think it's great that OH's parents have Riley so he can still be part of your life as well as Diesel  :D I know you may feel down at the moment but it sounds like a great solution and wish you, Diesel and Riley lots of great times ahead. And lots of photos please  :shades:

Offline Wenco18

• Donator
  • With Lottie and Lola in North Yorkshire
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:44 PM »
 :bigarmhug: Sending big hugs to you Charlene  :bigarmhug: You can't beat yourself up about this, you went into it with the best intentions.

Console yourself with the fact Riley is still going to be a part of your life and that away from your home they may well get on really well.

I am facing exactly the same possibility for things not turning out when I fetch Lola home on Tuesday.
You gave it time and came to a conclusion that sadly was not what you had hoped. How will we ever know unless we try?

You did right turning back to COL you and Diesel belong here, we enjoy hearing about what you are getting upto. :005:

ps hope you got your car sorted as well

Wendy, Lottie and Lola x

Lottie dob 26/04/09
Lola  dob  10/10/2011

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 06:42:31 PM »
:bigarmhug: Sending big hugs to you Charlene  :bigarmhug: You can't beat yourself up about this, you went into it with the best intentions.

Console yourself with the fact Riley is still going to be a part of your life and that away from your home they may well get on really well.

I am facing exactly the same possibility for things not turning out when I fetch Lola home on Tuesday.
You gave it time and came to a conclusion that sadly was not what you had hoped. How will we ever know unless we try?

You did right turning back to COL you and Diesel belong here, we enjoy hearing about what you are getting upto. :005:

ps hope you got your car sorted as well

I echo your sentiments Wenco.  And, just want to wish you lots of luck with bringing Lola into the fold.  :luv: :luv: 
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx