Author Topic: What age to choose a puppy with show potential?  (Read 1106 times)

Offline *Jes*

What age to choose a puppy with show potential?
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
Hi

I have been looking for a puppy which I may be able to show and have been offered the choice of 3 from a reputable person when they reach 8 weeks old.  However, another breeder has offered me the opportunity of owning one of her breeding, but the puppy in question is less than a week old and I have to give an answer straight away if I would like it. Is this usual for this to happen?

I like the breeding of both litters.  Which would you choose?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: What age to choose a puppy with show potential?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »
No breeder can possibly select a pup with show potential at only a week old - it's just not possible. Also any breeder that demands you give an answer straight away when pups don't even have their eyes open isn't someone I'd personally feel comfortable with - it doesn't matter how good their breeding is ph34r

A good, experienced show breeder can guide you in the choice of a pup - they won't expect you to choose the pup yourself & generally they won't select the pups with the most show potential until 6-8 weeks. And even then there are no guarantees - pups showing promise at 8 weeks old won't necessarily end up as suitable for showing but you're giving yourself the best chance if you're guided by someone experienced ;)
Jane

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »
Have to agree with Jane on this one.

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 12:02:14 PM »
Hi

I have been looking for a puppy which I may be able to show and have been offered the choice of 3 from a reputable person when they reach 8 weeks old.  However, another breeder has offered me the opportunity of owning one of her breeding, but the puppy in question is less than a week old and I have to give an answer straight away if I would like it. Is this usual for this to happen?

I like the breeding of both litters.  Which would you choose?

Any help would be appreciated.

Havent got a clue about showing. But having to give an answer straight away smacks of double glazing salemen imo
Proably would tell them that you are interested but will leave it until the pup is older again imo

Offline black taz

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
From personal experience, pups can change so much upto 8 weeks old (and of course after).  When i viewed Taz at 3 weeks, his coat looked perfectly fine to me.  At 8 weeks when i collected him, he had developed a little cowlick each side of his torso.  Its not noticeable now, but he would have never been suitable for showing.  I guess had i have wanted him for showing/breeding i would have pulled out of the sale, but he was never intended to be for either purpose.

I would therefore give a definate no to the week old pups.

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 10:32:44 PM »
Totally agree with Jane ..

Also like black taz one of our girls (we have three ) at eight weeks looked perfect for the show ring until she developed a ' mis-marked' ear at nine weeks . We love her whatever but the patch got bigger and bigger and we think it's quirky and sweet but it's  not correct  for the show ring . Our youngest Dora is also not show potential as she has odd coloured eye lashes one side is White the other brown . Did not happen until three months .

Coat changes can happen very suddenly in puppies  as they grow and ones at a week old with no eyes or ears open yet need to be given time to make sure that is all ok first .. I'd say be patient a good breeder will guide you  if they know you are looking to show after all it's their kennel name in the ring so it's in their interest to help and guide you with a good show puppy .. but even at eight weeks they can never be a guarantee but a week !  :shades: not for me   

Good luck with your search and future showing

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 07:54:25 AM »
I would pick the one from the person I trusted the most :shades:, the person who would offer to  help me in the future and who would be 100 % honest about the pitfalls of picking a show pup.
I cannot imagine how anyone could pick at one week ;) whatever the demand was for their breeding.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 08:24:30 AM »
I would pick the one from the person I trusted the most :shades:, the person who would offer to  help me in the future and who would be 100 % honest about the pitfalls of picking a show pup.
I cannot imagine how anyone could pick at one week ;) whatever the demand was for their breeding.

Totally agree  ;)

Plus I would be very wary of someone wanting an  immediate decision  ph34r

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!