Author Topic: "normal" weight for 7month cocker pup?  (Read 4450 times)

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
"normal" weight for 7month cocker pup?
« on: January 06, 2012, 03:55:46 PM »
Hi All,

Just been to take Pup to the vets to be weighed and get more worming tablets and she is 7.3kg at about 7.5months.

She has grown about a kg in the last 5weeks but everyone says she is small for her age. The receptionist thought she was still a puppy (which to us she is!). Just wondering how much more she is likely to grow and when they stop growing!

She is from working strain if this makes any difference.

Thanks, Emma

Offline cfordham2710

• Donator
Re: "normal" weight for 7month cocker pup?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 05:36:18 PM »

Our Skye is 7 and she weighed 13.6kgs before she was ill.  Most people when they see her say something along the lines of "OOO what a lovely puppy......."!!!!  There isn't really a right and wrong weight, depends on each dog like people

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »
Betsy weighed in a 9.6kg on the 29th and she is 7 months old, but there isn't really a right or wrong weight for your puppy at this time.  I 've had to cut down Betsy's food now that she has been spayed.  Apparently they are prone to put on weight now.   :'( :'( :'(

Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:12:02 PM »
Molly was 7.4kg when weighed at 7 months

Offline maddy74

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:20:36 PM »
Willow is a year now and weighs about 10kg. I worry she is under weight.... Not sure really.

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 08:36:36 PM »
There have been a few posts about puppy weight, the answer is they vary wildly.

My boys are show type males. Dexter is almost 7 months old and weighs 9.2 kg, his older brother Charlie is 2 years old and weighs 13 kg, I am expecting Dexter to be around the same. Their parents weren't huge.  My friend's adult male is a few months older than Charlie and weighs 15 kg, but he is longer and taller - they both look perfect for their frames.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline pennylopey

• Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:10:14 PM »
It does vary loads, Alfie is a big lad and was 11.6kg a month ago, but he had had a massive growth spurt as a month before that he was 9.8kg.
Missing Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 09:19:53 PM »
There really is no answer to this... Cockers can vary a lot in their size and weight, especially in the working lines...

The key is whether your pup has a defined waist, possibly to the extent of being able to see a couple of ribs near the waist - you should definately be able to feel ribs.

Working Cockers especially can go through a very "ribby" phase at this age where owners struggle to keep weight on, but this does pass...  ;)

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
Roxy was 7 months old on boxing day, I had her weighed on 8/12 and she was 11kg. My friend is one of the vets we see and I asked about her weight, just to be sure and she said similar to Karma, a nice waist and able to feel her ribs is ideal.
I saw a 9 month old cocker today and he was tiny compared to Roxy - makes no sense :huh:
Funny how we worry about our fur babies  :luv:

Offline mkidd

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 10:11:31 PM »
Maisy is just 7 months and was weighed at the vets last week at a smidge over 7kgs

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 09:59:52 AM »
I have 2 workers,  a girl at 19 months and weighs 9.5kg and an 18 month old boy who is 13kg.  I wouldn't worry sbout her being small,  working cockers aren't supposed to be enormous anyway

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 02:23:34 PM »
Jinley was weighed yesterday and she was 9kg.  (she is 5½ months)  She has put on 2kg every month since I have had her and she is longer and taller than others her age.  The Vet nurse said I shouldn't be concerned as she could feel her ribs and she is very active on her 2 runs a day. 

As of today, she is on a 100% raw diet so I will be keeping a close eye on her figure for a while adjusting meat/veg ratio if needed.

I went through the same dilemmas when I had 2 baby tortoises, they had to be weighed every month as fast growth and the wrong food cause deformities,bone disease and a shortened life.  After 3 years of nurturing they were stolen in the summer - but hopefully their good start will help them later in life - wherever they are! >:( >:(

I am a firm believer in what we give them now, will help them in later years ... if only I could get my own diet in order  :005: :005:

Pat x

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
I think I've got a monster. Archie was 5 months old last Sunday and weighs 11.2kg!!!!!!
Ribs all feelable and vet seemed to think he was fine when we popped in for wormer yesterday. Just wondering how big he's going to get!

Offline Pisky

• Pippa
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 06:29:57 PM »
Thanks all!

She is definitely on the smaller side but doesn't look too skinny anymore - just petit and in proportion. She did go through a very skinny stage but seems to have filled out a bit more now.

Have had conflicting advice on when to spay from our vets - the one who did her booster puppy injections at 11weeks said 6 months but then when I tried to book her in for it at 6 months the two vets there that day both said about 3.5 months after the end of her first season so we are having to wait.

Just worried now that it will be sods law that her season will coincide with when we are on holiday or something like that! Will boarding kennels take them when in season? Hopefully she will be all sorted by then - when do they normally have their first season?

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »
You will get differing advice and views on spaying.  Personally I've given my girl 2 seasons and she will be spayed 3 months after (shes in season now so Im camped out at my parents house with my intact boy for a few more days lol! ) Some people get theirs done before the first season but there has been a link to incontinence. Bitches go into season anything from 6 months, I have heard of some going to 18 months before their first, all perfectly normal.  My girl a few days short of her first birthday.