Author Topic: Chewing  (Read 629 times)

Offline Tillymai

Chewing
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »
Bear is 8 months old and has always been a terrible chewer. Until recently he's been quite happy satisfying his chewing urge on doggy things, his toys, bed and the copious amounts of nylabones, rawhide chews etc that we get through. However, recently he's turned his attention to household stuff and has managed to chew a hole in the curtains and in the arm of the sofa  >:D >:D

He never chews non-dog things if we're around and he's pretty good and will 'leave' if I tell him too, but the second my back is turned he's straight back to chewing. He is crate trained and I'm having to resort back to putting him in his crate every time I leave the room (we had been starting to give him a little more freedom), the sofa incident happened in under 10 mins whilst I put the washing away upstairs....

I never tell him off when he's chewed something, I just quietly pick up the pieces and carry on, but how do I teach him what's ok to chew and what's not? Or do I just have to keep him in his crate every time I'm not there until he grows out of it? Will he grow out of it?

E x