Author Topic: "normal" weight for 7month cocker pup?  (Read 4479 times)

Offline kalami

• Site Member
Re: "normal" weight for 7month cocker pup?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

Have had conflicting advice on when to spay from our vets - the one who did her booster puppy injections at 11weeks said 6 months but then when I tried to book her in for it at 6 months the two vets there that day both said about 3.5 months after the end of her first season so we are having to wait.

Just worried now that it will be sods law that her season will coincide with when we are on holiday or something like that! Will boarding kennels take them when in season? Hopefully she will be all sorted by then - when do they normally have their first season?

We've already had Molly spayed, she was done at 7months. We had bella done at 7 months also

Offline sez87

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 09:30:06 PM »
Hey,
I had Lucy weighed at 7.5months and she was about 7kg, the vet does'nt have any concerns & thinks she wont get above the 10kg :)
She's going to stay diddy, which means still lots of room on sofa to snuggle.
Her mum was quite small but her dad was on the larger size.

Offline cfordham2710

• Donator
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 06:18:01 PM »

Have a look at:-

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-health-advice/further-information/pet-obesity#body-condition-scoring-leaflet-amp-posters

have a look at the body score indicator.  This will give you an idea as to what you are looking for

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
My chunky pup is 26 weeks old and approximately 12-13kg
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 10:49:59 PM »
My chunky pup is 26 weeks old and approximately 12-13kg

Wow, that is a lovely chunky pup!  :luv:

My Skye is 16 weeks on Monday and weighs 6kgs.......Autumn is 3 this year and weighs 9.6kgs

Offline karen488

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 02:28:11 PM »
Willow is a year now and weighs about 10kg. I worry she is under weight.... Not sure really.

Same with Darcey, but am not going to try and fatten her up as she gets spayed in Feb and presume that that will sort it.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 07:59:49 PM »
I have a 5 month old working cocker pup and she weighs 8kg but I would say she is definitely on the lean side.

Hope this helps.

Chloe

Offline PennyB

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 08:47:09 PM »
It doesn't really matter if your dog is small for their age as its an arbitary figure anyway. As long as a pup is gaining weight it isn't a problem.

I have small cockers - they only weigh in as adults at 10 kg yet the standard is considered more but it is a normal weight for my 2 ;)

some vets don't always appreciate the range of sizes a cocker is as they don't know the breed.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline jen1876

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 09:59:40 PM »
Jasper was 9.2kgs   ph34r at his weigh in last week (20 weeks old!). We have the problem that people think he's a lot older than he is...last week we went to a different training class than usual and were told by the trainer what a dog 'of his age' should be able to do. When I pointed out that he was actually only 4 months old the trainers jaw nearly hit the floor. In fact she then went on to question whether I'd actually got a springer rather than a cocker  >:(  as 'cockers that age are never that big'

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
Diesel was always a bigger pup although not heavy in any way he is more leggy - When we got riley he was short and stalky and when he was weighed 2 weeks ago at 4.5 months old he was about 7 kg
Diesel is 9 months old and is about 13.5kg

He was moving up a half kg every week between 5 and 6 months

They come in all shapees and sizes and there is not a specific wight they should be - so dont worry :)
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 01:05:44 PM »
They come in all shapees and sizes and there is not a specific wight they should be - so dont worry :)

Exactly, so long as they look healty (not too skinny, not too fat) then that is great.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)