Author Topic: Puppy viewing tomorrow!  (Read 16835 times)

Offline Darwin

Re: Puppy viewing tomorrow!
« Reply #180 on: January 31, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »
Just think of the knowledge you have gained and when the time is right you'll be able to use this so that you'll be able to find the right cocker spaniel.  Good Luck.   Hope to be welcoming you back to COL in a year or so.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #181 on: January 31, 2012, 02:38:19 PM »
I know you're a man... but am going to send you a big  :bigarmhug: anyway.  Its hard when you realise that something you really want is just still out of reach, especially when its as cute and snuggly as those pups  :luv:  But you've made the right decision I think for you and for the pup, consider it an even bigger incentive to go and and get involved in the family business asap  ;)  Am sure when the time is right you'll find the right pupster for you and you'll have a fab life together.  Hope this isn't the last we hear of you on here  ;)
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
« Reply #182 on: January 31, 2012, 02:47:56 PM »
Well done you for taking your time to make such a difficult decision many puppies are bought in haste when people are on emotional highs .

you will know when the times right. you have proved that whatever dog is lucky enough to come to you will know how much you have considered it's future. Then you can have consistant quality time to grow and train together and enjoy each others company .

All the very best with the family business
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline karen488

« Reply #183 on: January 31, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
Being able to take a dog along to work is a world away from the hours you would be leaving it for now and sounds like a world in which any puppy would be very happy with. Wishing you every bit of luck for the future. :)

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #184 on: January 31, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »
Have to commend you on your decision...think it was the right one too. Lots of people rush into getting a cute puppy without the thought or the resources to see it through and then these poor dogs end up in rescue centres waiting for their forever family. This way when you do get your dog you will be fully armed with all the info and be in the right place to give a pupster a wonderful life and get the enjoyment/companionship you deserve.
Keep us updated as things progress

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #185 on: January 31, 2012, 04:51:08 PM »
Aaaw McFly under your present circumstances I think you have made the right decision  :blink:

:bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Lynn

Offline maddy74

« Reply #186 on: January 31, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »
I think you are doing the right thing Mcfly  ;)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2012, 06:49:43 PM »
Mcfly

Agree with everyone else re your decision - it must have been really difficult.

What I did for about 6 months before I made the final decision to have a dog was write down all the occasions that I would would be out for longer than 2 hours (unless at my local pub when she comes with me!), when I went away for a weekend and would I be able to take her with me?

I also tried to go for a walk twice a day, come rain or shine, feeling rough or not.  Not for long and sometimes only round the block, but more to make the effort.

Use the next few months as a time to plan for a new start in the family business as well as your new addition.  Keep in touch with the breeder and when the time is right you can ask if they are planning any litters.

Keep in touch!

Pat

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2012, 07:07:12 PM »
Pat makes some very good points. We didn't really have to consider these when we got Ruby as we have always had a dog (nearly 30 years together) so have always been used to having a dog to think about..... our working hours and leisure time (ie) nights/days out, weekends away holidays etc.

When the time is right I'm sure you'll know (and find your perfect pup) Good Luck  :luv:
Lynn

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2012, 07:11:32 PM »
Good for you, it's takes a lot to be honest enough with yourself and realise that the time is not quite right.  Very easy to let your heart rule your head, and I admire you for making such a balanced decision.  When the time is right, you will have already done your research and you will be well prepared, making for a much happier enviornment for you and the pup.  Good call McFly.

Offline McFly

« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »
Some great advice on here, and lots of very nice posts too - thank you all very much.   :blink:

I'm really disappointed, but I know it's for the best.  I spoke with the breeder today and she was very understanding and agreed with my concerns, saying the time the pup would have been left alone was borderline too much. 

The timing just isn't right for me - but I will definitely be getting myself a pup ASAP, and at least I have now found a good breeder, so when the time is right I can get one of her future pups. 

I shall definitely be sticking around here despite not getting a pup right now, I still enjoy reading about other dogs and gleaning as much info as I can for the future.  I also love looking at all the photos you all post up on the forum!  :angel:

I'd just like to thank everyone who have contributed to this thread, you have all helped greatly in various ways.  :blink:

Offline McFly

« Reply #191 on: January 31, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »
Forgot to say, the suggestion about helping at the animal rescue centre is a great one.  I'm going to get in touch with ASSISI and see if they need anyone to help out - I'd be more than happy to take a dog home the odd weekend!

I'm also considering getting another cat, as my ex took poor old Dexter too!  :lol:

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #192 on: January 31, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
Best stock up on a nice new camera and get practising so you are ready to post plenty of pics for us all when the time comes  :D :D

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #193 on: January 31, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »
Hi McFly, a cat may be a good idea. They are not as dependent on you as dogs, but are very affectionate and good company (I have 2 !!) Ruby certainly needs much more company/ time/ training/ walking and attention than the cats!
Lynn

Offline Evadee

« Reply #194 on: January 31, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
Forgot to say, the suggestion about helping at the animal rescue centre is a great one.  I'm going to get in touch with ASSISI and see if they need anyone to help out - I'd be more than happy to take a dog home the odd weekend!

I'm also considering getting another cat, as my ex took poor old Dexter too!  :lol:

Cats are fab, I am slightly more into cats than dogs if I'm totally honest  ph34r  no flames please!   Cats are the perfect pet, independent, not too demanding, you can go out all day and leave them, cuddly when it's cold and they are so clean!  They also don't smell unless you have more than 3 in the house  :005:   That is if you like them  :005: