Author Topic: new to cockers  (Read 1123 times)

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
new to cockers
« on: June 14, 2012, 08:31:57 PM »
hi im a newbie and reading your posts you all sound super friendly...im looking for info on this breed as decided to get one been looking around and think ive finally found the breeder which im going to at weekend..not used to this breed at all as i has a german shephard which sadly we had to say goodbye to last october :(...any info you could give me and tips would be greatly received xx

Offline LilahLoo

Re: new to cockers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:42:09 PM »
Sorry to hear about your last dog, always sad when they leave us.

My little lady was a breeding bitch, I got her when she was 6 - she's 8 in August. Her name is Delilah and she's blue roan and tan.

Cockers are wonderful little dogs, with so much personality - you've made a great choice, but then you'll fi d we're all a bit biased on here.

You will find loads of useful info on the various boards.

Natalie

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:45:55 PM »
thank you natalie..reading all your posts they sound so friendly and happy little things..cookie was my baby and i really miss her but the house is just too quiet xx

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:19:11 AM »
Welcome to COL

So sorry to hear about your loss.  :bigarmhug:

Like LilahLoo says we are all a little biased here  :005: but welcoming a cocker into our home has been the greatest decision we ever made. My Bingley is the most affectionate, sensitive and loving dog I have ever owned or known.

Good luck visiting the breeder at the weekend.

You will find lots of support and advice on here  :blink:

All the best

Jen

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:36:50 AM »
I think you are showing excellent
taste in your choice of pup ;)
I do hope you find the right
friend to heal your broken heart.
Please may I ask... are you looking
at workers or showstyle? Little
girl or little boy?
not that it matters, I'm just nosy :005:
steffxxx

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
Hi..edging towards a boy..don't really know difference between show and worker is there a difference I should need to know about..they're all very cute xx

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 10:35:01 AM »
http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=40635.0

This should help explain things. There are also separate photo boards for show and worker pictures, if you want to have a look and see the difference

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 10:37:10 AM »
Oo yes all cute but workers
and "showers" are quite different
and having different needs.
"Showers" tend to have more coat
and therefore need more grooming,
their build is different and mainly so
is their drive.
Workers tend to be more sparse coated
and more driven and most need more
excersise as they do come from working
lines and are busy dogs.
You could do a search on the forum and
you will lots of info on the differences :D
steffxxx

Offline annie1

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »
Sorry to hear about the loss of your shepard. I have two shepards who are in their teens and I'm dreading that day.

I've also got an 11 month old working cocker bitch who I rehomed at christmas time
and knew very little about them when I took her on.

This site and it's lovely members have been fantastic and have really helped me
 With all my cocker questions!

Good luck itn the search for your pup.

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 11:37:10 AM »
thanks steff for the info will do some more search...my cookie was only 8 which is early but the nerves had gone in her back legs it was very sad..she was the best dog just a bit scared i dont have one as good as her.. xx

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »
thanks steff for the info will do some more search...my cookie was only 8 which is early but the nerves had gone in her back legs it was very sad..she was the best dog just a bit scared i dont have one as good as her.. xx

The thing is you dont want to replace her, you want another companion.

Our spaniel died about 12 years ago and my dad refused to let us have another one, saying we'd be replacing her. I moved out this year and I got my puppy that I'd wanted for 12 years, my dad has now come to the conclusion that Katie isn't replaced. She's always there, never replaced, we just have a new family member :). My dad is wrapped around Charlie's little paws.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Lucy72

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
Our beautiful Labrador died last year and we waited until we were sure we wanted another dog.  I was very determined that any new addition would not be a replacement.

We did lots of research online about various breeds, taking into consideration that we now had 2 children, lifestyle etc.  We decided on a working cocker and it is the best decision we ever made, we got Roy just after Easter at 8 weeks old and he is an absolute joy!! :luv: :luv:

There is never a dull moment with Roy about, he is a real character and the most loving dog I have ever come across, he actually cuddles us !!!!

The puppy stage can be a bit trying (as with any breed) but in my humble opinion I would recommend cockers to anyone as long as you have plenty of time and love to devote to them.

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 01:49:37 PM »
I would never want to replace her..if I had the power I'd have her back..love everything about the puppy stage..I don't work so have the time to care and train one xx