Author Topic: can't do this anymore  (Read 9615 times)

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
Re: can't do this anymore
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 05:33:01 PM »
Have pm'd you the info, just change and adjust it as per your situation/dog.  Good luck!  Lesley x
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »
No advice sorry but, wish you luck
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »

Just to say that, with actual SA, rather than just a bit of noise, proper professional advice is your best bet.  Geordietyke's info will probably be the best advice you will get from a forum, but as none of us can actually see the full picture of your pup, other advice you may be given could actually make things worse.

Assuming the behaviourist attached to your vet is properly qualified and uses positive methods (unfortunately anyone can set themselves up as a behaviourist with no training at all!), it could well be your best bet.
 :bigarmhug:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline black taz

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »
no advice to give, but i don't think there will be many of us on here who havent felt like a failure at some point with our puppies.  Taz didnt have SA, but he was a holy terror until i changed his food (he was on Bakers, changed to Hills Scientific) he calmed down within days. 

Look for all the positive stuff rather than the negative (i know it is really hard when you are exhausted) and build on the good stuff.

Hope the behaviourist helps, and take care of yourselves.

Offline sands

• My pretty girls!
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »
Can't offer any advice but I just wanted to wish you luck and say hang on in there because it'll all be worth it in the end  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Wee Benji boy 10/2/1994 - 8/10/2009
Sweet dreams my wee man

Life's too short to worry about muddy paws!

Offline sine

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 04:37:56 PM »
well today is another day. thanks again for all your encouragment.
Mylo slept for 3 hours in his crate un til something wakened him and he cried non stop--so anothernight on the couch for me, he wouldn't return to his crate at all and l was too tired to argue  :'(
However .. this morning we received  Geordietykes training programme and David and l have agreed to stick rigidly to it 3 x daily. I guess it will take a few weeks to see a big improvement
We have decided not to let him up on the couch or on our knees to sleep ( l know we are bad and shouldn't have started this  :luv:) and all treats and food to be given in his crate.
we have done the early stage of the training x 2 now and he is asleep in his crate no fuss at all.  :D
so if you all don't mind l will keep posting with progress and for advice to help me on the path to a happy puppy--and mummy and daddy.

Strangely enough we had him out in the car earlier today and left him for 1 hour (crated) and when we crept back to the car he was sitting up quietly... bet we look very suspicious creeping almost on our hands and knees aroung the side of the car peering in windows  ;)

Offline maddy74

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 04:57:06 PM »
I know I posted the other day just checking in to see how its all going, it does sound like you are making progress.  :D

I thought when we had Willow at 8 weeks it was going to be a bed of roses and was was surprised with all the HARD work involved. We had a trainer in and it was the best thing we did. As long as the family as a whole decide the plan of action and you all remain consistent then im sure it will be fine. My OH used to get Willow from her crate in the night and start talking to her and when I used to let her out i wouldnt talk to her at all apart from to give her the que word to go and then tell her she was a good girl and back in her crate.

What i found hardest was when I had really tried with her and OH would come home and let her away with something I hadnt and all my good work was wasted, we had many a row about that  but we do things the same now.

It will get easier I promise you , i look back to this time last year and it was awful  :-\  Now 12 months on we have a cracking little doggy.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »
Excellent news, little steps and repetition is what's needed.  Keep posting with updates so we can see how you are getting on :D
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck and to keep us posted.  Top Barks had a good thing on here re SA too if you search for it, and Karma always has good advice.

Poor you and poor wee doglet.  It won't go on forever.  I assume you had many, many sleepless nights when your children were babies, and you didn't regard them as spoilt?  Same difference with a baby dog really.

Offline dawn

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 06:19:46 PM »
Sounds like you're exhausted. Do you know someone who could come round and play with Mylo during the day? Say once a week and you could catch up on some sleep, or does she need to be with you all the time.

Remember it puppyhood won't last forever and will get better. :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
So glad that things appear better today and that you following the good advice you recieved...it will make all the difference to you and your little boy in the long run..and then your stress levels will come down.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline sine

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 03:09:18 PM »
Well we had a good night last night   :lol2:, Took Mylo out for a walk and kepy him awake as much as we could in the evening. He went into his crate at 10.30pm with a bit of persuasion and we slept till 8.30am,  :cool4:  there was not a peep out of him until he saw us this morning :cool4: . So back again to Geordietykes training plan and we are on step 3 now, where l think we will be for a day or 2 but hey progress has been made.

My 21 year old son came down this morning--he is a bit wary of dogs and not was at all sure about us getting one--he went over to Mylo and said " l love that dog"  my heart melted for the 2 of them as he played football with him in the lounge for a bit. Mylo was the better player  ;).
So we are much happier today and more rested progress has been made,

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
Great news, well done Milo
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »
Fantastic news...you are obviously making good progress.
Well done to Mylo and you for your hard work.

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »
Well done to you all, sounds like you are making progress already. Nothing more to add or any advice to give but just wanted to wish you luck

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."