Author Topic: Help- is he just marking???  (Read 532 times)

Offline max2011

Help- is he just marking???
« on: April 08, 2012, 08:13:35 PM »
We have come to Devon for a week staying in a pet friendly lodge. The problem is that max keeps weeing inside something he hadn't done at home since early December. He is sniffing around all the time so we think he can probably smell where an other dog has been and is marking his territory. It is stopping me being able to relax and enjoy myself as I am taking him out practically every 30mins to stop it happening again.

Has anyone had a similar experience or got any advice. I really hope his toilet training hasn't gone backwards and going to be like this back home. thanks

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Help- is he just marking???
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:10:17 PM »
It sounds like marking to me. I think it's adolescent male behaviour triggered by being somewhere new that smells of other dogs. Hopefully Max will get used to being there and the different smells and will then stop marking and you'll be able to enjoy the rest of your holiday :D

Offline maddy74

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 12:50:36 AM »
Willow was toilet trained and my friend came round with her dog and Willow weed inside about 4 times within a few hours, I think it is all to do with scent marking.  :-\

Offline cfordham2710

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »

Yup, sounds like it.  If you see him about to do it, tell him no, and take him outside.  He probably won't want to wee, he just wants to leave his mark.  If he doesn't wee, then just try the 'no' when you see him eyeing up a likely area and distract him with something else

Offline abkb

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 02:27:49 PM »
My mum's bitch does this when they go away and stay in a cottage.  She's fine when back home though so don't worry, and enjoy your holiday!
Karen, owned by Molly B the blue roan show cocker, D.O.B 02/08/2011, and Finley the orange and white show cocker, D.O.B 19/01/2013

Offline max2011

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17:55 PM »
Thank you. He hasn't done it again so assume he has realised this is our temporary home and not to wee inside. Much more relaxed and having a great first holiday with a dog.