Author Topic: Eating poo  (Read 603 times)

Offline bessymate4eva

Eating poo
« on: June 30, 2012, 09:30:16 PM »
Chester has took a fancy to eating horse poo while out on walks. Today I caught him and he knows its wrong so he starts running away with it in his mouth as though its a game  :005:. its disgusting but I suppose on the plus side he doesn't tend to eat other dogs poo. Have also tried luring him away from the poo but he just runs back to it  :005:. anyone else have this problem?

Offline JeffandAnnie

Re: Eating poo
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:37:01 PM »
Be careful - one of Annie's sisters died after eating horse poo; the horse had just been wormed. 

Offline maddy74

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 10:06:11 PM »
Willow was a little sod as a pup for eating other animals poops  :020: :020: Fox poop being her favourite. I have heard horse poop can be harmful due to the wormer....

She has pretty much grown put of it now at 18 months  although she does have the odd rabbit dropping sometimes but I think thats because it resembles her kibble to look at  :005: :005:

Offline Chocolate Hero

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:59:32 AM »
can defiantly relate to that. Cat poo caviar in our house. its a disgusting habit. have to shut litter tray away when hes on the loose.  :020:  :005:
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline woody

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:39:30 PM »
Woody is partial to horse poo, what i do if I see it ahead is distract him with a treat so he doesn't notice it and run past it and once we are ahead of it give him the treat. This has worked for me.

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »
Maisie is a horror where horse poo is concerned. Turn your back and whoosh, it's down the hatch. She prefers hers freshly cooked, preferably warm and steaming....

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:01:24 PM »
William and Louis eat it pretty much every day out in the New Forest. You can't avoid it with around 4,000 ponies living there ph34r

It seems to appeal to them more during spring and early summer, a bit less so during winter. The New Forest ponies are drifted (rounded up) once a year in the autumn and some of them are wormed then, but some are never wormed. I know when my local area has been drifted and walk the dogs elsewhere for a few days afterwards just in case they're attracted to horse poo with wormer in it, but they don't seem to be.

Lots of people ride in the New Forest too and I expect their horses are wormed regularly, but unless I were to muzzle William and Louis on walks it's a risk I have to live with.