Author Topic: garden puppy woes!  (Read 609 times)

Offline sarahm2008

garden puppy woes!
« on: July 14, 2012, 04:31:27 PM »
Well little Sandon is growing in confidence daily (had him 8 days!) but now he has well and truly discovered the garden and I have now realised just how much ivy we have.
I thought the stones were going to be a nightmare (which they are!)but on looking around today we have absolutely loads of ivy which he is very interested in - I have read varying opinions about how poisenous it is. Im going to try and get rid of it all but its going to take me a while.
Help! >:(

Offline max2011

Re: garden puppy woes!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
Hi, I too have lots of ivy disguising my fences. I tried to keep Max away but he was very interested in it and has certainly eaten lots of leaves and stems. Luckily he has been fine and grew out of it so I haven't had to remove it. He's had a few tulip bulbs too!!

When they are small they seem to want to chew and pick up everything in the garden, but this does seem to have stopped now. Also Max likes to carry a ball around in his mouth which prevents him putting anything else in it!!

I would be interested to know how poisonous it is supposed to be as we are moving soon to a brand new house and I do like covering my fences with something.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: garden puppy woes!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:58:23 PM »
This Dog's Trust factsheet about toxic plants includes Ivy and Tulips http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/_resources/resources/factsheets09/factsheetpoisonoussubstances09.pdf

I know autumn hasn't arrived yet (even though it feels like it most days) :005: but acorns, conkers and toadstools are attractive to some dogs and can be dangerous. It's also the time to plant bulbs in tubs or in the ground but when both William and Louis were puppies I didn't dare plant any bulbs in the back garden as both of them kept digging them up and trying to eat them >:(