Author Topic: Bit confused re toilet training!  (Read 2814 times)

Offline **purpleprincess**

Bit confused re toilet training!
« on: July 16, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
I'm not sure what exactly I should be doing, whether it is me or Luca!!

He's really good in that he won't poo or wee in the crate, comes out to do so. We woke up at the same times this morning- 1am and 5am. I took him outside and I'm patient and wait and use key phrases, he cries and shivers and just will not go. Bring him in and then he goes!  :005:

Every 20 mins in the day and 10 mins after food/drink/etc I take him out and again, he cries, shivers and won't go. This morning at 7.30am I (Luca!) had a successful outside poo! But I'd been out there for 20 minutes and the way he was crying you'd think I was making him do something awful!  :o

Had the same after second meal, took him out and he was crying and shivering etc and just would not go. Come in and still hasn't gone, he ate an hour ago now. Surely he needs to poo!!

Do I just need to keep taking him out to get him used to being outside, I just don't want him to think we can spend ages outside then go when we come in. It doesn't help that it's wet outside either! Poor little thing!

Any ideas??!!!

Many thanks in advance! Otherwise, all is positive so far! I've been able to have a shower with no problems and he gets in his crate fine, and he sleeps in it all night (apart from the toilet).
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: Bit confused re toilet training!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:27:12 PM »
Do I just need to keep taking him out to get him used to being outside, I just don't want him to think we can spend ages outside then go when we come in. It doesn't help that it's wet outside either! Poor little thing!

IMO, yep pretty much! I don't think there is a quick and easy way to toilet train I'm afraid! Although I wish there were  :005:

We took Bingley out every half hour, and immediately after meals and naps. When he came home (December) it was freezing cold, snowing and raining almost all the time. I perfected a very unusual walking style, crouching over and holding a golf umbrella over him. Consistency is the key. As he's only been home a matter of days I wouldn't worry. He's still getting used to a big change and his mind is probably occupied trying to process all the new information.

After a few days Bingley seemed to click into his routine. I would watch him like a hawk, waiting for the signs that he needed to go, and dash outside with him. If you go outside regularly with him enough, he will go at some point outside. When this happens you need to show him this is the most amazing, wonderful and clever thing you have ever seen. Don't react to accidents inside the house, just clean them up and carry on.

Stick with your routine, and he will get there in time. The half hour intervals worked really well for  us, and he was toilet trained far quicker than I expected.

Good luck!

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
Take a big umbrella out with you - it might help!

I'd take him out as often as possible, so he gets used to going outside. Mine now goes in pretty much the same spot (he has a very limited space to go). I'm trying to get him to go on demand ("wee!" and "poo!" - people walking past must think I'm mad - we only have a tiny front garden on the street and people can't see him behind the wall as he's so small!), but he hasn't got that yet (because he doesn't need to go). I also read that you should praise the dog once they've been with lots of strokes, but not say "good dog" or "good boy" as they may then associate this with pooing or weeing and go at the wrong time!

Henry used to have a poo the instant I took him out, straight after each meal. I've recently moved him onto different food (Hills Science - free from vet - I know lots of people disapprove, so wondering what to do about that...), and now he sometimes doesn't go for hours after his meal. He's down from 5 to 4 a day now. It was also a bit runny from time to time when we first mixed the old and new food. I'd keep persevering by taking him outside and watching him like a hawk inside for any sign that he's about to go (sniffing around = wee, circling = poo!).

Did you wake him up in the night or did he cry? I'm trying out waking him up before he cries at the moment, so he doesn't associate crying with being let out. All a big learning experience for us all!

Offline lola B

• i am owned by Rosie the black cockerdile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:29:31 PM »
you have my sympathies Rosie did this and does this but you really just have to be patient i know it looks sad  :-\ but you just have to hold on i find that if i actually walk around even just in circles that helps but i am actually pretty lucky with Rosie she she has only had 3 accidents so far and no poo`s in the house the crate is going well also  :luv: although it is rough its worth it in the end when they look at you with those sweet cocker eyes  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:35:00 PM »
Yup, your doing it right. It's just a case of consistency and perseverance. Archie took AGES to twig. I thought he would never get it. Just remember to only use the key phrases when he actually goes! He needs to associate them with the job in hand. If you just keep saying them over and over before he actually knows what they mean then they won't actually mean anything. Don't worry, they all get it eventually.  :luv:

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »
Oh, you're probably already doing this but thought i'd mention it! We didn't play with Bingley during outside time at first, we really wanted his to associate outside=toilet time and I think it would have slowed the process down if we'd not done that. Treats and praise a plenty when they do go outside. We introduced the cue word once he'd got his head around outside=toilet.  

Like Sophie, we woke him and took him outside rather than waiting for him to get up himself.

It's so hard isn't it, when they're tiny and confused and don't know what you want them to do  :luv: he'll get there

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline TracyR

• Bella
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
Bella has been pretty good with wee's outside still have the odd poop inside tho, she goes poop twice a day usually after breakfast and tea its just a case of judging how long til Luca needs to go and ignoring the accidents, I find I have to walk my garden to get her to go sometimes as flowers etc are too distracting by half lol been 2 weeks and she wee's on command and accidents are getting few and far between. Keep doing what your doing and things will fall into place
Bella's fave chew toy x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
Your doing exactly what we did, We brought Riley home at the end of April he is now 5months old
I put him down at 10pm then got up between 1-2am  and 4-5am took him out, he actually did go straight away most of the time.
Didnt realise how quick this stage went until just thought about this today.

We know when Riley needs to go as he goes to the back door now and cries to go out or barks, depending on how desperate he is.
I think your doing great, would advise to stick to what  your doinng, it will twig soon Im sure.
I didnt use newspaper or pads as I wanted him  to know right away that the toilet was outside .

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
Brilliant, thanks so much everyone. It's just when you're standing there it gives you time to question!!! And being new to it all it's easy to question if what I'm doing is right or not.

Will keep going as I am, and will set alarm for 10 mins earlier to take him out.

:luv:

Offline 7733lily

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
I would just take him outside as much as possible not just when you want him to go to the toilet
Also, at this stage there is no point in giving commands for him to go until he actually goes as they will mean nothing....wait until he goes and then add the command whilst he is doing it....he will get there eventually, very early days bless him  :luv:

Offline lola B

• i am owned by Rosie the black cockerdile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 02:02:49 PM »
sorry to highjack the thread but how long is it between the time they need to go Rosie hasent had any more accidents but she hasent gone for 2 hours  :huh: is this unusual she walks around happily chewing things and rolling in the grass (even though it is raining) and she could do this for 20 minutes bring her inside no accidents then outside again in a few minutes and nothing again  :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 02:09:20 PM »
Nice big umbrella, warm fleece and lots of patience are essential for this stage. It honestly doesn't last long but it feels as though it goes on forever. Just continue in your resolve to show him outside is toilet place. Penny didn't cry to go out at night, just messed in her cage, then mashed it all well in, so it was a real muck out job! I had to experiment with getting the timing right and setting the alarm. We found making sure she'd done a poo last thing at night and then getting her up around three worked okay. Then sometimes I forgot to set the alarm and she just slept through. We had more messing in the cage than I was expecting, but once she was able to go to around 6am (at around 12 weeks, but we didn't get her till she was 10 weeks and she wasn't house trained at all before that as she came from a kennel) she never looked back and hasn't had an accident in the house since  :luv:

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline TracyR

• Bella
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 02:15:35 PM »
@ lola B I've found lot's of sources saying they should be able to hold it for an hour for every month but I think it all depends on the pup how much they've ate and drank and what they're doing, playing (running around like a mad thing) seems to = more frequent visits to the garden  ;)
Bella's fave chew toy x

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 02:38:53 PM »
sorry to highjack the thread but how long is it between the time they need to go Rosie hasent had any more accidents but she hasent gone for 2 hours  :huh: is this unusual she walks around happily chewing things and rolling in the grass (even though it is raining) and she could do this for 20 minutes bring her inside no accidents then outside again in a few minutes and nothing again  :huh: :huh: :huh:

Looking at my doggy diary (haha!) it's about 2 hours between wees and poos for Luca at the moment, even though am taking him out regularly.

All a learning curve huh!!

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 03:21:08 PM »
Ha ha, I'm writing it all down in the diary too! Last week I was too sleep deprived to remember when he'd been out  ;)