Author Topic: How to stop barking  (Read 1242 times)

Offline Nicola81

• Dexter
How to stop barking
« on: July 17, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »
So Dexter is 8 ½ months now and smack bang in the middle of being a bratty teenager!  He has started barking at every little noise he hears outside.   >:D Especially when the neighbours pull up on their drive.  He jumps up at the window and barks at them!  Luckily they know he is a big softie!  :luv:

What I am after is any advice on how to stop him barking, on command.  I know it’s his job to let us know if somebody is outside and I don’t mind that but I would love for him to stop when told to! 

Any handy tips?

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole"

Offline crazybailey

• Donator
Re: How to stop barking
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:54:14 PM »
Mine does the same....he knows to go to the kitchen when we say the word kitchen, so when he does his first woof we send him to the kitchen and he does a little moan and stops. We are doing this every time so hoping he might learn he gets sent away when he barks...not sure if this is the right tactic but does distract him from barking....
I'm normally on my phone, please forgive any typing errors!

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:12:26 AM »
My Papillon is a pain for barking at every little thing. He is only 18 months old and I have practised using the word 'quiet' in a firm way and then rewarding him with a treat. It is starting to work. I did this with my older Cocker too and I only have to tell him to go to his 'bed' in a firm tone and he shuts up and does as he is told - without a treat  ;) I intend training Alfie to recall to a whistle and that will include if he decides to become a barker. I suppose ideally, I should have all three doing the same thing and might go down the whistle training route now my new whistles have arrived  ;)

I have been reading about this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-Animals-Pet-Corrector-200/dp/B0051GO5WM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_piT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1BNU6FG35KH3R&coliid=I2XJNSCFZDDGME

The woman in our local pet shop was saying they had a lot customers raving about it but I am still not sure about how I feel about it myself. I was going to see if anyone else had posted on the subject.

I'll be interested to see what others post for advice.

Preferably, I do think the best option is to get a good recall. That way, whatever the reason, your dog will stop what he is doing and come back to you quietly. Easier said than done though  ph34r

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »

I have been reading about this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Company-Animals-Pet-Corrector-200/dp/B0051GO5WM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_piT1_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1BNU6FG35KH3R&coliid=I2XJNSCFZDDGME

The woman in our local pet shop was saying they had a lot customers raving about it but I am still not sure about how I feel about it myself. I was going to see if anyone else had posted on the subject.

Don't do it!!! If you do a search you will find lots of advice with regard to aversive training methods. I called in a behaviourist for help with Archies jumping at visitors and grabbing their clothes. I didn't do my research well enough and she used this spray within seconds of entering the house. I jumped a mile let alone Archie. He was really wary and calm while she was here and she was full of how effective it is. After she had gone I was left with a wound up, hyper, nervous pooch with serious trust issues. Despite the fact that i never used the spray myself, within two days his guarding issues got so bad he bit me. I have worked really hard with positive reward based training and we are doing really well now. However, ANY spray still winds him up  - polish, deodorant, etc. He leaps around barking and snapping if you so much as take the lid off.
Please steer well clear of this spray.

Offline black taz

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:31:29 PM »
I think the best thing is to move him away from whatever he is barking at.

earlier in the year, i went to see my friend who had a young border collie that was barking at the birds whilst in the garden and my friend was at a bit of loss what to do.  As i had just seen a Victoria Stilwell episode with a similar problem i suggested to my friend that we tried her suggested, which worked brilliantly.

As soon as Millie started barking, my friend called her in the house (which was treat rewarded as she came quickly and quietly), shut the door for about 10 seconds then let her out again she only had to do this 5 - 6 times and she didnt bark again.  Obviously the relied on a reliable recall.   

Offline starbybarby

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 05:50:58 PM »
Tell you what; one of my neighbours (Elizabeth...{name changed to protect the innocent!!!}) has a Jack Russell. Nice little dog. (Aren't they all?) BUT he would bark at just about ANYTHING, and in particular, the dogs whose garden backs onto his. 
She bought a thing from the Betterwe*r catalogue, which goes on his collar and emits a puff of air or something when he barks. Well, I kid you not; in a very short time he cut down to a couple of 'woofs', and now he STILL only does a couple of woofs, even when he's not got it on.
Brilliant! If only more people would make the effort!!!!!

Offline black taz

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 06:00:15 PM »
I think that works the same as the correction collar - avoid at all costs.

It may be worth checking out the sticky board on "Aversaries"

Offline RegalRustyCharm

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
Nicola81 - I am in exactly the same situation! Lucy is 8 1/2 months and very reactive to sounds when in the house. I have no clue how to stop her as nothing seems to get the message across. She won't come when called when she has heard something outside because she becomes obsessed on finding out what the noise is outside. I have tried limiting her to two barks then stepping in but she can't seem to stop at two even with me trying to distract her >:( I have tried the 'time out' method and removing her to another room until she is quiet. After a minute I let her back in but as soon as she hears another unusal sounds she off again!

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 07:28:54 PM »
We have this problem when someone knocks on the door.

The only thing that works is if I get crazy excited and run to the kitchen shouting him really excitedly, then OH answers the door while I distract him with a bit of training. Just sits, round the body, place, weaves etc. Slowly seems to be working. Obviously not practical 100% of the time. He responds well to it, and his reaction to doorbell/knock is becoming less excitable.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."