Author Topic: Dog meet baby, baby meet dog...Any advice?!  (Read 979 times)

Offline Rufus01

Dog meet baby, baby meet dog...Any advice?!
« on: June 20, 2012, 04:39:09 PM »
Hello all,

I think it has been a good few months since I posted on here. The last time Rufus was having some checks but since then he has seemed much better and his back legs much stronger. Can't believe that in just a few weeks he will be 1 and we'll have to exit the puppy board. How time flies!

We are going to be welcoming our first child in to the world in 3 months. I wondered if anyone has experience of having a young dog at home (this will be our first born) and introducing a mini human?! Rufus has such a lovely temperament and we know he will be great with the baby but just wondered if anyone has any experience of avoiding jealousy/competition etc to make it as enjoyable for everyone as possible?!

Thanks
Anna  :D

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Dog meet baby, baby meet dog...Any advice?!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »
Congratulations and so glad that Rufus is getting better.

No real advice really but I introduced many years ago my 3 year old red setter to my little girl and out of ignorance allowed her to have a good smell of her all over when she came home but she knew she had to keep away from the carry cot - she would have got in it at the first opportunity!! :005:

I must admit, I used to love putting the baby in the pram and going for a good walk with the dog and it seemed to bond them somehow.

When my children were toddling and we have adopted the same with my small 18 month old niece, they were not allowed to go near the dog when she was eating or sleeping.

It worked, but like I said it was out of ignorance really!!  Does Rufus guard you if another dog comes along or does he allow you to divide up your affection?  That might be an issue you have to deal with before the baby is born.

Someone with more up to date advice will be along shortly.

Patx

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:47:47 PM »
Absolutely no advice I'm afraid but just wanted to say congratulations on your soon to be new addition  :banana: :bestwishes:  I'm also sooooo glad that Rufus is doing well. You joined col almost at the same time as I did and I've often wondered how he's been doing.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:51:32 AM »

I've posted these links for people before, but they give great advice.

http://dogsandbabies.wordpress.com/2011/02/07/how-to-not-magnetize-your-baby-part-2/
http://dogsandbabies.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/mamas-dont-let-your-babies-get-magnetized-to-dogs/
http://dogsandbabies.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/helping-toddlers-not-be-magnetized-to-dogs-part-3/

Honey was 3 when our first baby was born, but was very unused to children.  She has adapted brilliantly (though there were some hairy moments along the way!).

My main tips would be - make sure you get Rufus used to any stuff you will be using - Honey was terrified of the pram (which wasn't a biggy for us, as I use slings to carry both children, but would be tricky to deal with if you're going to take a buggy on dog walks). 
                               - make sure Rufus has a good "leave it" (as he will want to adopt socks, nappies etc as his!)
                               - make sure Rufus is used to the approximate routine you might have... so he needs to be used to you sitting on the sofa for chunks of the day not directly paying him attention (as whether you are breast or bottle feeding, you will be sat feeding for significant chunks of time) - possibly used to walks being at different times - used to you not heading straight downstairs in the morning etc

When we brought Isobel home from hospital, my OH carried the car seat in so I could greet Honey as normal.... we then did let her sniff Isobel once Isobel was on my knee.  We rewarded calm interest.  As Isobel grew, she was encouraged to give Honey space, to avoid Honey's bed etc.  But also encouraged to give her treats (with our help) from well before she was crawling - this meant Honey gradually associated her with positive things, while Isobel learned to respect her.  We did have some growls and a couple of snaps (Honey is very highly strung and has quite a complicated temperament, so I doubt this is a common experience!), which we were careful to respect - we didn't tell Honey off for growling but solved the situation for her - either encouraging Honey to move to somewhere she felt more comfortable, simply positioning ourselves between Honey and Isobel, or encouraging Isobel away, depending on the situation.  Honey still has the tendency to guard the bottom of the stairs, but she is very much more relaxed with our younger daughter (nearly 4 months), so we've obviously managed something right along the way (and Isobel is besotted with Honey, but alongside a healthy respect!). 

Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline JulieM

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
Hi

Anna- congratulations! All the very best with the new baby.

Thank you for the links Karma  :D. I'm expecting my second at Christmas and was going to post a similar post to Anna. When we got Florence I'd already got a 3 year old, but I was pondering on how to introduce Florence to the new baby.