Author Topic: Eating everything.... advice please  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Salty24404

Eating everything.... advice please
« on: July 20, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »
Mr. Jarvis Cocker (full name for naughty boy... ;) )has been a little monkey over the last two weeks. He is 10.5 months and has been really good so far. Dont get me wrong, he used to steal knickers and daughters toys etc but this all stopped about 3-5 months ago. The past 2 weeks he seems to have regressed and is eating anything he can get his jaws on.  This week

Monday - jumped up and ate the kitchen sponge, (
Tuesday - chewed around the wooden fire place (tabasco worked well)
Wednesday - Ripped up the edge of carpet. Tabsco again!!
Thursday - letters/post shreaded
Fri (today) - He has ripped all the outside off his tennis balls and had a go at my kitchen stool.

This is all really unusual behaviour for him, i thought that if they were going to destroy the house they would have done it before 10.5 months old. Am i incorrect with that. 

He is left in the house for 3.5 hours max. He has managed this perfectly until 2 weeks ago. He is walked before i leave the house, then at lunch and then at tea.  Before i leave for work i give him a frozen kong and leave chews around the house. He has loads of toys but doesnt really like dog stuff, although we try to encourage.

I cant think why he has changed recently, food stayed same. Ill his teeth are adult so cant be teething.  Also he had to be castrated at 7 months  due to medical reasons

Is there anything else i can try? Or do i have to spray my whole house with tabasco sauce??!!

Thanks xx

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: Eating everything.... advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »
It sounds like he is going through the secondary teething stage  :shades: :-\ 
If that is the case his renewed chewing/eating stage will tail off again soon...in the meantime you could freeze a clean damp flannel to help him or try some frozen carrots.  ;)

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Salty24404

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »
Also forgot to mention..... another strange thing he did this week was run home from the park on his own one morning. Nothing scared him or anything like that. He just pegged it home. Poor hubby ran home after him in panic. Im just finding his behaviour very strange. he seems very hyper (more than is usual for him - which is a lot anyway)

Offline Salty24404

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:17:27 PM »
secondary teething??!! OMG i thought it was bad enough the first time!!!!! OMG OMG. :005:  I hope that is all he is, i was quite considered that he'd starting using drugs from his recent behaviour!!

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:36:12 PM »
Sorry this made me giggle a little as I remember trying Tabasco with my last cocker when he was a puppy - little devil loved it >:D :lol2:.

I agree with secondary teething, he is hitting the teenage stage now too which could explain a lot :shades:

x In memory of Barney x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:52:52 PM »
Teething and hitting his teenage phase I should think >:(

Back to basics with training I am afraid as he will push the boundaries with you - Coco was a nightmare from 7-13 months and took no notice of what I said  >:(  Totally exasperating but we got through it finally - now she is only moderately exasperating  :lol2:
Julie and Watson

Offline rubytuesday007

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:34:12 AM »
Sounds all like teenage cocker behaviour combined with secondary teething! Sorry that is no help... But it will pass

Offline LinziS

• Erin
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »
Tilly is going through this at the moment too and driving me potty...she destroyed 2 of her beds the other night ripping them to shreds...has demolished or killed every toy...has been chewing on the corner of the skirting yesterday too >:D....and has developed cloth ears :005:...just another phase in the world of cockers...just hoping it passes quickly

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline jen1876

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:15:47 AM »
Was just about to post a similar question...my Jasper is nearly 11 months and last night ate the back door mat!! He hasn't done anything so silly for ages. Secondary teething, omg :o...he was a nightmare first time!!  ph34r

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 11:58:15 AM »
Archie is the same. He's always been pretty destructive with any soft furnishing being a real favourite, but in the last month or so it's become much worse. He now only has access to the kitchen and whichever room I am in! When I leave him he is shut in the kitchen. I have found deep heat spray really effective to stop him chewing - just make sure you spray it with pooch well out of the room. Archie just sniffs and walks away (grumpily) from anything I have treated with it!!

One thing I do when I leave him is give him a treat ball but I also leave "his" handbag on the breakfast bar with the handle hanging down. It is an old bag with all the metal cut off. It has lots of pockets and nooks and crannies and I hide lots of tiny treat in it. When he gets bored of the treat ball he hunts for the handbag, pulls it down and then rummages around forbthebtreats. He is quite often still chewing away at it when I get home!

Fingers crossed it doesn't last too long!

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:04:17 PM »
Couldn't Archie think all your things have treat bits in for him xx

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
Couldn't Archie think all your things have treat bits in for him xx

:005: so THAT'S where I'm going wrong!! Actually he's not interested enough in food or treats for that. He quite often leaves the treats on the floor once hes got them out!  :dunno: He thinks everything is stuffed with foam or hollow fibre and he looooooves unstuffing things. I have to try to occupy him with things that's aren't fluffy filled to try not to encourage him.  ph34r

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »
Rowan is 11 months now and until two weeks ago, I thought I'd got off lightly. She'd been the perfect pup, liked a bit of a chew on fingers when she was 8 weeks old. However, in the last 2 weeks she has eaten half my livingroom carpet plus my wooden fireplace. She also has these cloth ears others speak about. Being the soppy mummy that I am, I think something so beautiful and loving as her couldn't do these things for no reason so let her off by saying "it must be her season coming" (she's not had one yet). Although not nice to hear of other naughty pooches, it does help to know it's not just her it happens to around that age plus there is an end to it (hopefully!!!)
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.