Author Topic: You take a pup home on the day he/she turns 8 weeks don't you?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline Chezer

My friend  has reserved a Cocker Spaniel puppy which was born on the 10th June and she's collecting puppy tonight she says it's 8 weeks now but surely it's 8 weeks old on this Sunday the 5th.  She says her breeder said the pups are available now from the 30th the 8th week?
Is this right? I've told her to wait until Sunday!
Archie 4/9/2009

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
Re: You take a pup home on the day he/she turns 8 weeks don't you?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »
If it was me I would wait the full 8 weeks so yes I would wait until Sunday  :luv: x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »
Yes, it should be a full 8 weeks. We collected Alfie a day early as the Sunday meant all the family could spend the whole day with him and get him settled. I certainly wouldn't have asked had it been more than a day early. 3 people collected their puppies on that day too. :luv: :luv: :luv:

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Mel B

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:51:42 PM »
I don't think a few days before they are 8 weeks makes a great deal of difference as long as the litter is making good progress.  I am picking up mine the weekend before they are 8 weeks - this would have been on the Tuesday - so she will be 7 1/2 weeks - some prefer to take their pup around 7 weeks.  As the pup has been reared outside I want to get it into a home environment sooner rather than later so that it can get used to all the usual goings on.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:58:55 PM »
Puppy should be 8 weeks old and that one is 7 so, yes, the breeder should wait until Sunday  :-\  Sounds like the breeder has a very loose understanding of what the 8 weeks rule is  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline bentley1984

• cookie monster
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:15:07 PM »
I don't think 7 weeks is as bad as everyone else...years ago 6 weeks was the time to pick a pup up and then there was nothing wrong with that I've had pups earlier then 8 weeks..don't it'll make her pup worse off then anyone else who are 8 weeks xx

Offline Chillis

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:24:42 PM »
Think makes him day over 7 weeks?

Offline Juno

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »
I don't think 7 weeks is as bad as everyone else...years ago 6 weeks was the time to pick a pup up and then there was nothing wrong with that I've had pups earlier then 8 weeks..don't it'll make her pup worse off then anyone else who are 8 weeks xx

Could be wrong but I think I remember reading on here that it's against the code of ethics for UK breed club members to let the pups go before 8 weeks and illegal for licensed breeders to do so?  Even if pups are perfectly fine having left the litter early, that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do...

Offline karendorman13

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
My pup will be 7 weeks and 5 days when we pick him up but that is only because of my husbands work commitments and is the only viable day we can collect our little guy at a reasonable time and our breeder lives 45 minutes to an hour away dependant on traffic. We were originally getting him at 8 weeks and 2 days but my husband will be working 12 night straight from the 8th of June. The breeder is only allowing us to have him because we are experienced dog owners. i also remember when we got our GSD when i was younger at 6 weeks and Vida was fine   

Offline Evadee

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:15 PM »
We got Tia at 7 weeks and 6 days and Jake at 7 weeks and 4 days.

I don't think a few days matters too much, there is a theory that 7 weeks is better than 8 weeks.

Offline DunbarKev

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 10:08:32 PM »
Juno, you are correct, licensed breeders must wait 8 weeks before releasing the pup.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 10:15:17 PM »
We got Tia at 7 weeks and 6 days and Jake at 7 weeks and 4 days.

I don't think a few days matters too much, there is a theory that 7 weeks is better than 8 weeks.

There are also alternative schools of thought, that believe it's better for pups to be with their mother & siblings for far longer  - up to 12weeks in fact  :shades: ;)

The longer the better, is best I feel  ;)
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »
I have taken home pups at 7.5 weeks, 8 weeks, and 9 weeks, and only from my personal experience, the ones at 9 weeks of age have been much easier pups to live with initially. Mainly due to being more settled due to that extra maturity.
I do agree with some comments though, that 7 weeks used to be an acceptable age to bring home a pup :D

Offline jmanagh

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2012, 11:01:33 PM »
We weren't allowed to have Eddie, a Papillon, until he was 12 weeks old. Our breeder said that toy breeds need longer to mature before being rehomed. I don't know if the Kennel Club stipulate this as she was an assured breeder.

Mum also to Basil - Black show type DOB 31/03/2000 and Eddie - Brown and white sable Papillon DOB 01/01/2011

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 07:24:43 AM »
Pops was 7 weeks and 6 days old when we got her  :luv: however Tessa our Springy was 6 weeks old, this has always been the case when we have had working Springers, from three different breeders over the years. Whilst I think 8 weeks is about right we have never had any issues with the younger pups that we have had at all  ;)