Author Topic: Is it normal...  (Read 1592 times)

Offline **purpleprincess**

Is it normal...
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
...to feel like you're going one step forward, two steps back with a cocker puppy?!

We were doing so well with going off to another room, coming back, building it up and Luca was getting there with this. We even got up to going out for an hour and a half- been working on a little routine, and building it up. Now I can't even leave the room without him crying and barking! And yesterday I popped out for 30 mins and he'd got himself into such a state! When he's stressed he does a runny poo and smears it everywhere!  :o

And with toilet training, I was spotting the signs and taking him out, and he was weeing within 5-10 mins and all was going great! Now, he just sits there and whines, then wees when we come in!!!

He had his second jabs today, so in a week I'll be able to take him out  :lol2: he's gagging to get down on the ground and walk.
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: Is it normal...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »
Only two steps back?  ;)
Totally normal if Archie is anything to go by. Luca is still a baby and it's really hard for them. Once he's out and about I suspect it will be easier to leave him because he wil be quite tired and happy to snooze. That was what happened with Archie and he's a really clingy pooch even now. He's one today! I never had any luck with a kong but I got a treat ball which he loves. I hear him batting it around the kitchen as I walk away when I leave him. It will get easier.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »
I can't help with most of your post unfortunately but whatever you do make sure you are consistent.

Charlie is very clingy - if I move, he moves. It was more noticable when we were on holiday, if someone was holding him and I wondered off he'd almost be snapping himself in two to pull to get to me.

If he messes too much when you are out, have you considered crating him. It might work as his little safe warm den for when you are out?
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
Only two steps back?  ;)
Totally normal if Archie is anything to go by. Luca is still a baby and it's really hard for them. Once he's out and about I suspect it will be easier to leave him because he wil be quite tired and happy to snooze. That was what happened with Archie and he's a really clingy pooch even now. He's one today! I never had any luck with a kong but I got a treat ball which he loves. I hear him batting it around the kitchen as I walk away when I leave him. It will get easier.

I might try a treat ball then and see if that helps.

I'm hoping he'll be happier to be left when I leave him once we start walkies.

What's funny though is that if I leave him on the sofa and go and make a cuppa he's fine. Yet, leave him in his pen and make a cuppa- all hell breaks loose!!  :005:

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »
I can't help with most of your post unfortunately but whatever you do make sure you are consistent.

Charlie is very clingy - if I move, he moves. It was more noticable when we were on holiday, if someone was holding him and I wondered off he'd almost be snapping himself in two to pull to get to me.

If he messes too much when you are out, have you considered crating him. It might work as his little safe warm den for when you are out?

Everyday doing the same thing!

He has got a crate, it's in the kitchen with him when we go out. He's happy to be crated overnight, no problem. But not so during the day  :huh:. The smearing poo doesn't happen a lot, and is in the kitchen so easy to clean up. He just won't be in his crate with the door shut in the day  :huh:

Offline lola B

• i am owned by Rosie the black cockerdile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 03:36:10 PM »
poor you toilet training is going alright for us but as for being left alone she freaks i have been trying to get her used to it but she just wont get the message that i am not migrating to africa!!!!! when i am taking dishes of the table and she`s in her crate i walk out tp the dish washer only in the back kitchen and she has a heart attack over it. also i always crate her when we are eating so she knows she cant have attention during meals she got on good with this until 2 days ago and ever since she hates it  :huh: i dont have a clue why so no you are definitely not alone on that one  >:D

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
poor you toilet training is going alright for us but as for being left alone she freaks i have been trying to get her used to it but she just wont get the message that i am not migrating to africa!!!!! when i am taking dishes of the table and she`s in her crate i walk out tp the dish washer only in the back kitchen and she has a heart attack over it. also i always crate her when we are eating so she knows she cant have attention during meals she got on good with this until 2 days ago and ever since she hates it  :huh: i dont have a clue why so no you are definitely not alone on that one  >:D
Well saying that about toilet training, each wee since my post has been ace! I've said "be quick" and he seems to get it.

It's funny isn't it! I've been doing the leave the room, come back only when he's quiet etc etc. but just doesn't happen. Neighbour has commented that he's found his voice  :embarassed:

I've got 5 weeks until I have to be back at work. I've tried going out every day- even going to the gym  :005: I really don't know what I'm going to do  :'( hate hearing him get all upset.

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 05:54:31 PM »
Just had 30 minutes of me going out and leaving him  :lol2: no noise at all, and no mess.

(I knew he was quiet as I sat outside the front door on a stool with a book! Things we do eh?!  :005:)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »
The leaving thing is so hard! I've managed to go out a couple of times for 20-30 minutes (never food-shopped so fast in my life!), and I too waited outside the door for a minute to hear if he was barking - thankfully not, I think. Otherwise, I've left him in his crate and gone and watched TV in another room for an hour, but that's when he's sleeping anyway, so doesn't really count! We try to put him in his crate a few times a day. If he barks I sit near the cage and say "shhhhhh" and "it's okay" in a reassuring voice and eventually he settles down, making cute-but-pathetic grumbly noises. "I don't really want to lie down mummy but I guess I will, since you're there," he seems to be saying. I then creep away when his eyes are shut!
The first week if we did it sometimes he'd just bark his head off. Once the neighbour knocked on the very thick brick wall I realised that I couldn't crate him when he was really excited, so now I'm careful about when I do it. After meals seems to work (if he's been out already). Or after frenetic playing times.

I must make more effort to leave him for longer periods. Our last dogs could go a good few hours without worrying, although I don't really remember what they were like as puppies. The crate training does seem to make things harder sometimes, but I'm persevering with it as I'm sure it'll work eventually (and I'd rather he ate his bars and his toys than my furniture!).

I'm sure it'll get better with Luca, just persevere - small steps! For me it does seem to be getting gradually better (although last time I made a comment like that he woke me about 4 times during the night!); he's now 12 weeks. He's having his first night away tomorrow (at my mum's as we're going to the Olympics - yay!) so that'll be an interesting experience. I've ordered an identical crate for him, so hopefully it won't feel too alien, and I'll take his toys. I'm also going back to sleep there, so I'll be there to let him out and comfort him if he's freaked out.

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 01:16:09 PM »
Same with leaving Madoc. We've not tried leaving him alone in the house but he is not happy in his crate or puppy pen by day unless he's asleep & boy does he let us know! He's happy going into a different room to us as long as its his choice. It's a different matter if we shut him in the kitchen for any reason

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
2 hours today with no problem :shades: no doubt in a couple of days it'll be two steps back again  :005:

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
still VERY young. You will get there but don't expect too much. They are still babies. Just be consistent. Ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good. :005:
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 05:23:01 PM »
still VERY young. You will get there but don't expect too much. They are still babies. Just be consistent. Ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good. :005:

Thank you  :blink: