Author Topic: pup ate sock  (Read 6914 times)

Offline k9

pup ate sock
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »
does anybody no how long it takes for a sock too pass through am pretty sure he ate it thanks?

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: pup ate sock
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
If he has eaten a sock I would take him to the vet ASAP and not wait to see if it would pass naturally. How old is your pup? I would ring your vet now

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 08:25:14 AM »
If he has eaten a sock I would take him to the vet ASAP and not wait to see if it would pass naturally. How old is your pup? I would ring your vet now

I definitely agree.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline k9

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 08:35:01 AM »
thanks for replys we phoned the vet as soon as it happened and was told to take him to vet and they'd make him sick unfortunately we werent able to get him to a vet as there was none where we were (on holiday when happened) so they just said to watch for any signs-sickness of food etc etc but just wondered if anybody elses pup has swallowd one and how long it took-now am starting to wonder if he did actually swallow it (even though i saw it in his mouth!) thanks again.. hes 5 and half months

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:45:09 AM »
Bella ate a sock once, very scarey, it was out of hours like things usually are, but emergency vets had us inducing vomiting.
How long ago since your pup ate the sock?
You really could do with finding a vet

Offline k9

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »
its been over a week now-so now am starting to wonder if he did swallow it as people i have asked reckons it would've past by now?

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 09:32:29 AM »
If it were me I would want a vet to check pup put for peace of mind. Is your pup showing any signs of being unwell, eating, drinking, passing motions okay?

Dont want to alarm you but the breeder we got Willow from told me a story of her friends dog that ate a sock and they didnt see the signs until it was too late and sadly he passed away.  :'(

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
my Little Bill at 3 months ate both ends of a rubber bone, luckerly for him he had chewed it into small pieces, showed up 9 hours later in his p, but kept coming for the next 48 hours, little but often,I did watch him closely.
My other cocker george then 3 is worst, last year ate 6 wafer bars,, wrapper as well, was made sick  at the vets within a hour of eating them, some wrapper still got into his system and came through 36 hours later.
Hope your little man is ok

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 09:58:44 AM »
Our previous dog, a Bedlington terrier once ate part of a wooly jumper. The first we knew of it was out on a walk when he passed some of it but it was left hanging out of his bottom. It was not pleasant for him or us as we managed t o gently pull out the long strands of wool.  He was fine afterwards!

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »
I don't want to be alarmist but I'd take the pup to the vet straight away for a check over.

A dear friend of mine lost her dog a couple of years ago. He had eaten one of her sons rugby socks. They didn't know he'd done so. Days later the dog became very poorly. Sadly it was too late.   :'(

Better safe than sorry. Let us know how you get on.  :-*

Offline siam

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 10:01:14 AM »
Our previous cocker swallowed a stretchy headband and it passed through him in 2-3days.

Offline Sherlock

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 10:34:42 AM »
Sherlock ate a child's sock a few months ago.  It came out seven days later.  He's eaten a plastic ball before too, and that was thrown up five days later.

Both times vet said keep an eye on him and ANY sign of discomfort go straight to them but that these things usually pass through one way or another and he didn't want to operate unless absolutely necessary.

Good luck, I hope you see the sock soon - I know how worrying it is.

Offline k9

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »
thank you all very much for replies-great forum :-)  did wonder about an xray but didnt no would it show up on it :-(  like i said now am wondering if he did def eat it with it not comin out yet and hes showin no signs of bein unwell....

Offline Clare B

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »
Vet and X-ray !! Must do, otherwise you may have a very sick pup, and if not then no harm done.

Offline Gordon

• Sleepy days
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »
No vets where you are, (we are on holiday ) >:(
Seems like thats more important than your puppy, >:( travel and find a vet