Author Topic: pup ate sock  (Read 6915 times)

Offline k9

Re: pup ate sock
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 07:28:34 AM »
thanks again for replys....gordon you have read that wrong we were on holiday when it happened and phoned the vet straight away and took their advice we have since come home from holiday and gotten more advice! no my holiday is certanily NOT more important than my pup!
the vets have told me to keep an eye on him which we certaniuly are doing all i wanted to no on here was if anybody elses pup had ate a sock and how long it took to come out (as i said eralier am startin to wonder now if he did def eat the sock with the length of time) certanily didnt come on here to get told 'my holidays more important than my pup!'  thank you to all else for replys.... :-)

Offline JulieM

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 10:41:37 AM »
Hi

So sorry to hear about your pup. Thought I'd share my experiences. Florence swallowed a plastic milk bottle lid a few months ago. We too were advised to 'watch and wait' as it can be more dangerous to induce vomiting depending on the size of object/ size of dog. The vet didn't do an x-ray as like you I imagine that it wouldn't show up on an x-ray. Our vet to watch Florence v closely and watchout for any vomiting, lethargy or if she stopped pooing as these could all be signs of problems. We were drilled to go to our local vet hospital with these signs. Florence was sick after about 4 days and so we took her to the hospital, she had an ultrasound and the lid was removed with a tube down her throat with grabbers on the end. She came out the next day no worse for wear for the experience.

I spoke to my friend who's a vet when Florence was having her lid nightmare and she said that soft objects like socks can takes literally weeks to pass through as they just lie in the gut and aren't as abrasive as harder objects, so a week doesn't necessarily mean it won't pass. If you haven't already I'd definately check with the vet what you should do if he suddenly has the symptoms above say in the middle of the night. I found having my emergency procedure in my head made me feel a little bit calmer. I really sympathise with you, I'd have much preferred to get on with doing something, but they say 'watch and wait' as it is overall safer than operating on every dog who ever swallows something.

Do ignore the other post that was mean- it was unkind and not at all fair  >:(

I hope the sock pops out the other end soon x   

Offline k9

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
juliem thank you so much for that lovely message-glad things went ok for your pup :-)

i think the worst part now is am startin to wonder did he or didnt he swallow it!  thanks again...

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »
K9, has the vet examined him and palpated his tum?

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »
No vets where you are, (we are on holiday ) >:(
Seems like thats more important than your puppy, >:( travel and find a vet
Always nice to welcome new members on COL, Gordon!
Perhaps you could introduce yourself, and your dog, in the 'Introductions' section  ;)  :D

Offline k9

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
no vet has examined him just been given advice over the phone....do you reckon if the sock was in him they'd be able to feel it? am just worried now that he didnt end up swallowing it!

Offline LottieLu

• Maisie ♡
    • Working Glass Jewellery
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 11:45:10 AM »
They might. I'd have thought the vet would want to feel for any possible blockage/discomfort it could be causing in the circumstances. Even if you think he may not have swallowed it a vet exam would still put your mind at rest. It's obviously worrying you.

Offline Clare B

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »
They might. I'd have thought the vet would want to feel for any possible blockage/discomfort it could be causing in the circumstances. Even if you think he may not have swallowed it a vet exam would still put your mind at rest. It's obviously worrying you.
Usually a vet will have a good abdominal  feel and can tell with the examination if an X-ray us advised or if it's a wait and see.

Offline k9

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 12:41:24 PM »
thanks yet again for all replies-just phoned again and they said just the same as they said before to keep an eye on him etc...

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
What's the betting that after all this, he didn't eat it in the first place? ;)
Anyway, I hope he is ok.

When we get to our holiday cottage or wherever, I usually try to find the details of a vet just in case of an emergency, I just think I'd rather not be rushing round trying to find one in a panic!
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2012, 08:05:14 PM »
Having read all of this it reminded me of a time when the lady who owned the flat we lived in shouted me to her room in horror one evening. Her lab pup had picked a glass up, carried it around, dropped it and then maybe ate some of the glass!!! I told her to call her vets and gave the dog dry bread then got him to drink some water. The vet was telling her to get me to do that as it made a dough ball to protect the lining of his gut. After that she sat up all night to see if he suddenly became unwell, as there was the possibility of the glass perforating his bowel. They did not want to operate unless it was really necessary but fortunately he was fine.

I will now make sure when I go on holiday with the dogs to get a local vets number the first day.... or with the internet before I get there .... so sharing this story has allowed me to better prepare in the future. :banana: :cool4:

Offline k9

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
thats something i have now learned now too-make sure you no where closest vet is when on hols...would still be interested in knowing if anybodys pup/dog has swallowed a sock and when it came out :-)

Offline DunbarKev

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »
k9, you and I are very different people!!!

If I had any suspicions that my pup had swallowed a sock I would not rest until all doubt was removed from my mind.  The sire of my pup swallowed a sock and had a long operation under anesthetic.

K9, I am wondering if your post is actually genuine.  No offense btw.

Offline Gordon

• Sleepy days
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 09:33:30 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one !! thinking this way

apologies to K9 didn't mean to offend you in anyway

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 09:41:55 PM »
k9, you and I are very different people!!!

If I had any suspicions that my pup had swallowed a sock I would not rest until all doubt was removed from my mind.  The sire of my pup swallowed a sock and had a long operation under anesthetic.

K9, I am wondering if your post is actually genuine.  No offense btw.

K9 says she has taken vets advice so not sure why you are pushing the point  :huh: Our vet gave similar advice re my Harry when he was a pup and he swallowed a rubber glove. The vet didn't want to see him and said as it was soft it would pass through, but gave me a list of things to look out for which I did. Yes I was worried and had some sleepless nights and needed lots of ressurance on here (which I got  ;)) but eventually the glove arrived and all was well.