Author Topic: useful books  (Read 1480 times)

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: useful books
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
The one I'd definitely recommend is the Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson. Not a training book as such but in my eyes a must read for any dog owner :D

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Training by Pamela Dennison is another good book I've read.

Ignore any that talks about dominance/pack theory (ie the Dog Whisperer!) or that suggest using aversives in training :blink:

I really enjoyed reading the Dog Whisperer and I thought that the pack theory made a lot of sense several years ago when we had our first retriever, and seemed to work well, although our retriever bitch never showed any signs of wanting to be dominant anyway. That theory was fashionable then, but, has been discredited now, I assume.  Why is that?

That is a whole new topic - if you look on the behaviour board you'll find plenty of threads relating to Dominance theory (and the Dog Whisperer) and why these methods have been totally discredited  ;)

thanks Helen - I'll have a look

:doh:  Just realised that the book I was talking about is the Dog Listener - the one by Jan Fennell and Monty Roberts, although that is about the pack theory as well.  Has this book been discredited as well?

Offline CherryT

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 12:40:32 PM »
Thanks everyone, some great ideas there.  I shall definitely get Jane Simmonds book and have a look at some the others as well - this is fun, like having a whole lot of new friends!  Lily Freya - how is Gracie Mae settling in?  Did she cry much last night?  I am soooo envious!

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 12:47:52 PM »
:doh:  Just realised that the book I was talking about is the Dog Listener - the one by Jan Fennell and Monty Roberts, although that is about the pack theory as well.  Has this book been discredited as well?

I've been lent that and am currently reading it while I leave Luca for periods at a time! I like the way it is written. Some of the things I find a bit old fashioned, but overall quite like it as a read. I like reading about the dogs!
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
It's not so much a case of particular books being discredited, but the whole dominance theory approach.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 01:01:01 PM »
I honestly believe that this site is way better than any book you will ever read because you get so many different viewpoints and not just one from the person writing the book. Stick with us Cherry  :005: ;)
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 01:01:16 PM »

I've been lent that and am currently reading it while I leave Luca for periods at a time! I like the way it is written. Some of the things I find a bit old fashioned, but overall quite like it as a read. I like reading about the dogs!

yes - anything that promotes pack theory or dominance theory has been debunked - here is just one link on it

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2009/6361.html

helen & jarvis x

Offline **purpleprincess**

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
Interesting stuff.

We'd already decided before we got Luca that we were going with the more modern positive reinforcement methods, after all it's what I use with the children I teach.

The woman lent me this book and the Cesar Millan book, I read 2 pages of that and put it down!! It's interesting to see the difference as well in her 11 month old puppy and my 13 week old puppy, based upon the different methods we've used!
Owned by Luca, the chocolate roan cocker spaniel :)