Author Topic: sleeping habits  (Read 486 times)

Offline lola B

• i am owned by Rosie the black cockerdile
sleeping habits
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:27:25 AM »
ok so before this Rosie was sleeping from about 11.30 12.00 to 7 or 8 in the morning but lately she started becoming a bit of a cockerdile at night she wont settle i think it because she could see me and just wanted to play so i made the decision to move her down stairs i knew because we hadent done this in the beginning i should take it slow so i would settle her and she would fall asleep and i would get up and leave the first night she got up over 9 times crying and i would go down and settle her again the next nigh was a lot better and she only woke about 6 or 7 times the next night only 5 so i was pleased and thought within a few days this will be fine but the next night it was 5 again and the next night i started getting tired and so moved into the sitting room so i could hear her easier and wouldent have to walk all the way down stairs but she still dident improve any for the last week it as been the same every night and i am getting sick of it. i am doing something wong should i just ignore her if i do how long do you think it would take to get her to settle ???? lots of questions but please reply i am getting desperate  :-\

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: sleeping habits
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:10:06 AM »
Oh you poor thing! It sounds as if she's got well and truly used to sleeping upstairs and is finding the adjustment very hard. You probably should ignore her, but this is easier-said-than-done - especially if you have neighbours! If you don't have neighbours I'd put in ear-pugs and try to ignore her. Does she need to wee or poo in the night too? Maybe you need to start from scratch and set your alarm every few hours to take her out? Oh, the sleep deprivation must be driving you crazy  :'(

I would recommend trying to play with and train her a lot in the evening so that she is knackered. You may well already be doing this, but maybe she just needs even more play time.

I assume she's also teething, so could be in some kind of discomfort. Has she lost any teeth yet? Some people have recommended some gel to sooth their gums. Henry is chewing a lot on a piece of a cardboard box - seems to soothe his teething quite well (although he doesn't have problems at night).

Good luck!

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
has she got anything warm and snuggly to comfort her? Sandon went through a period of not sleeping a while back (he is only 4 months that makes him sound old!) and I bought a microwavable warmer for animals thats not chewable (apparently  :huh:) and put it under his bed - it worked a treat. What about putting the radio on too as some background noise for her?
I personally would try and ignore her which is totally easier said than done but she will soon realise that it isnt working and settle (hopefully) Sandon is teething too....I leave him with a stagbar at night so if he feels he wants to chomp on something he can!
Not sure if thats of help really as im a beginner at all this!!

Offline Juno

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
I moved Juno from my room to the kitchen by gradually moving her crate each night over a period of about 10 days.  Each night I moved her crate a little further away - so from next to the bed to the other side of the bedroom, then just outside the bedroom door, then on the landing, then down into the kitchen.  She might find this less stressful?

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
Ear plugs and ignore it is my advice - we've never had this problem with Ozzy as he slept downstairs in the kitchen in his bed in the pen and we've never heard a peep out of him even on the first night, but we have had problems with other pups. We've, never, ever got up to a pup in the night - he/she has paper to pee or pooh on if they need to.  I know loads of people do get up to let their pups out at night, and that's fine, if it works for you, but we were advised not to when we had our first puppy 30 years ago and we never have - it's not something we wanted our dog to ever get used to.  We've only ever had crying for the first couple of nights.  Sorry if that sounds harsh to anyone - but sleep deprivation is not something I can cope with! :005:

Offline Black Beauty & Silverfox

• Miya
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
Hi

I could mail you some training sheets 'a veterinarian's proven method' if you think it may help, based on hard rules for earlier results.

Mel.

Offline lola B

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »
thanks for the replies i will try the teddy thing the first night i moved her down i slept there with her the next night i slept with her for half the night and left her the rest of the time and well you know the rest  :shades: i will try ignore her but i have young brothers and i dont know how much they can stick of her shouting how long should it take ??? yes she is teething but no teeth out yet but i dont think that is the problem  :-\ she does need the toilet in the night although she dident need it last night  :-\ i dont know i am a bit confused :-\

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:13:43 PM »
thanks for the replies i will try the teddy thing the first night i moved her down i slept there with her the next night i slept with her for half the night and left her the rest of the time and well you know the rest  :shades: i will try ignore her but i have young brothers and i dont know how much they can stick of her shouting how long should it take ??? yes she is teething but no teeth out yet but i dont think that is the problem  :-\ she does need the toilet in the night although she dident need it last night  :-\ i dont know i am a bit confused :-\

Can certainly see your problem if you have young brothers in the house...earplugs for everyone maybe? ;)  I've been wearing them for years as OH's snoring used to keep me awake... now if I don't wear them I wake myself up with MY snoring!!! :005:

Offline lola B

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 01:23:28 PM »
after crying for 2 hours straight last night Rosie slept until 6 when sadly she pooed in her crate and cried to be let out but i am still pleased and i feel way better after a proper sleep even if it was only 6 hours  :shades: