Author Topic: Puppy and lead  (Read 574 times)

Offline LaurenandAlfie

Puppy and lead
« on: September 30, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »
Hi so I have a 12 week old cocker :) we got him a week ago his name is Paddy he is black with a white stripe on his chest.

I was looking for advice on my puppy and his lead this is what he does: as soon as I put the lead on he chews it and even when I try to walk him round the garden, im just looking for some tips on what others have done. Do they snap out of it? after a few times or do you keep attempting everyday. This is my 3rd attempt at the moment maybe I need to keep going with it :P Im not really sure.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: Puppy and lead
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
Will read the replies to this with interest as Ozzy still tries to chew his lead, and he's 20 weeks now!  :016:

Offline Mel B

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 01:23:51 PM »
My pup is 14 weeks now.  Before she was allowed out I used to walk her around the garden in her collar/lead and she chewed it so because of this I bought a fine chain lead as I didn't want her chewing threw when out on a walk particularly on a busy road walk.  To be honest when out on a walk she is more interested in whats going on around her rather than chewing so I have been able to go back to using the soft material lead.  Henry my other cocker was actually worse on walks as a pup and went through a few material leads.  They do grow out of it but mae consider a fine/light chain lead for peace of mind particularly when on pavement walks.

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
As soon as you put the collar & lead on you don't move until the pup is calm, sitting or standing, don't try & walk while they are biting at the lead. Even if you only take one step as soon as they bite you stop & don't move. Once they have stopped the jumping/ biting you take as many steps as you can, if they bite do the same stop and they go no further. You may only walk 5 meters but they soon catch on.
I used treats as they were walking along so they were at the heel position stopped every couple of meters and praised them for good walking (verbal praise and a treat) no stroking as not to encourage the jumping/ biting again.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
As soon as you put the collar & lead on you don't move until the pup is calm, sitting or standing, don't try & walk while they are biting at the lead. Even if you only take one step as soon as they bite you stop & don't move. Once they have stopped the jumping/ biting you take as many steps as you can, if they bite do the same stop and they go no further. You may only walk 5 meters but they soon catch on.
I used treats as they were walking along so they were at the heel position stopped every couple of meters and praised them for good walking (verbal praise and a treat) no stroking as not to encourage the jumping/ biting again.

Thanks - I'll definitely have to try this, as Ozzy is a nightmare on the lead!  I have tried the stopping trick, but he doesn't seem to notice, and is quite content just to lay down and chew the lead for as long as I'll let him!

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 02:31:42 PM »
You could maybe use a treat to help, our routine at the moment - I get mine to sit before I put there collar & leads on they then get a biscuit each. We go out the door and again I get them to sit and get a biscuit, we then start our walk, any messing from either we all stop - they sit and look at me like 'what?' then were off again.

The Dogs Trust & youtube have some good videos on getting ready & going on walks, pulling etc.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 02:53:51 PM »
You could maybe use a treat to help, our routine at the moment - I get mine to sit before I put there collar & leads on they then get a biscuit each. We go out the door and again I get them to sit and get a biscuit, we then start our walk, any messing from either we all stop - they sit and look at me like 'what?' then were off again.

The Dogs Trust & youtube have some good videos on getting ready & going on walks, pulling etc.

Will have a look at the Dogs Trust one - I used theirs to get Ozzy to 'down' and it worked really well.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 03:56:16 PM »
Pippa used to chew her lead.  When she did, I would pull the lead taut and give it a tap so it vibrated in her mouth.  She didn't like the movement and so soon stopped doing it.  I don't know what others think of this as it isn't a positive training method but it didn't scare or hurt her - she just didn't like the sensation.

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
What about putting some anti bite spray on the lead? Didn't have this problem with Harry but can understand you frustrations.

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
What about putting some anti bite spray on the lead? Didn't have this problem with Harry but can understand you frustrations.

Anti-bite spray - what a joke  :005:!!!  Ozzy licks it off!!!  >:D