Author Topic: Could scream :-(  (Read 2234 times)

Offline YvonneC22

Re: Could scream :-(
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 09:06:54 PM »
This thread is sort of going round in circles. Punishing Alex isn't the way to solve the problem because he won't understand what you're doing so you need to find a way to stop him getting to the vegetable patch in the first place. If you can't fence it off could you instead restrict him to a different area of the back garden for the time being? If not, then I think taking him outside on a long line is the only answer at the moment and finding interesting things for him to do inside and out so that his puppy energy and curiosity is channelled into more constructive and rewarding things, which will also help build a strong bond between you (or whoever does the training and plays the games) and Alex.
Completely agree with Elaine. I don't really understand why you want to 'punish' him, when there are lots of alternatives :-\ Surely it is better to show/give him something better to do and avoid the need to 'punish'  :-\
Cover up the raised beds until next year, when he has matured, and he has been given a better, alternative, past time  :D

I Think this "punish" thing has been mis understood!! Makes me sound like I'm horrible to him! I thought that teaching him good behaviour is good and rewardable and bad behaviour isn't acceptable! (Like with time out for a toddler) Obviously I have it wrong  :-\
I have removed the problem (veg patch) and have no problems now.

Thanks all  :D

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »

I'm obviously doing something wrong as everyone is giving me common sense advice, I'll just have to spend more time (if its possible) supervising him.   :-\

That will be where you're going wrong  ;)

I meant that I spend all my waking time with him as it is unless I need a loo break or have to cook. I Didn't mean I don't have time.

Offline henryjack1dogs

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 09:16:33 PM »
Lovely plants and veg plots don't go well with cockers, unless high off the ground or fenced in.  They just love doing what they shouldn't be doing!

I hope next year when he's a little older and that veg plot is not so attractive to him, you will be able to start again. :)

Everyday life is busy and you can't be watching him 24/7, he will grow up, just ride the early months they eventually grow out of some of their naughtiness.  :)  have fun!

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
Puppy's dig big holes that's what they do & enjoy, our garden is one big muddy hole - 2 pups trying to dig up the house, they aren't being naughty, they aren't disobeying us they are doing what pups do!

If you have a nice garden you want to keep that way you fence off or supervise the pup outside. Or don't leave him outside long enough to become destructive! Out for a pee & straight back in the house.

Offline Bibby

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 10:15:50 PM »
I feel for you with this, when Poppy was a pup the veg was perfectly safe - she hated it, however flowers and plants were another matter! The longer I took to put them in the ground, the quicker she dug them up! Keep the faith - they grow out of it, and I think you were right in the OP - you probably just need a hug and to be told you're a good mummy!
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2012, 08:28:30 AM »
Pleased that you've solved the problem :D

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2012, 02:43:44 PM »
Glad you've decided to get rid of the veg patch - you've saved yourself a lot of stress!  I'll bet you've got one disgruntled pup now looking for somwhere else to commit mayhem!!  >:D :005: :luv:

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2012, 04:18:52 PM »
Yep  :005:

I'm sure he'll find something  ;)