Author Topic: Frustrating  (Read 959 times)

Offline YvonneC22

Frustrating
« on: October 28, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »
Alex has been good in the toilet training area, not made mess in the house for about 6 weeks and has started letting us know he wants to go out.
Today however he's poo'd in the dining room 3 times while the door is open?!  >:(

The rain doesn't bother him and has never been an issue  :huh:

It's Sooo frustating, if it is that the bad weather starting to put him off then I'm gonna be in trouble for the rest of the year.
 :-\

moan over  :005:

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
Re: Frustrating
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 04:16:34 PM »
Oh no!!!  Perhaps poor Alex has a bit of a tummy upset - I'm sure he'll be better tomorrow - they do seem to go backwards sometimes!  :luv:

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 05:09:11 PM »
Agree with Piph, sounds like the little fella has tummy problem. Are his poohs diarrhoea or normal?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 05:11:47 PM »
As has been said, are you sure he does not have a poorly tummy?

Otherwise though, he is still very young - they will often have setbacks and I have read that you should not really expect too much until they are about a year old.  :o You could just go back to basics for now - taking him out frequently and praising like mad when he performs outside.  I am sure he will be back on track in no time  ;)

Sounds like he is doing pretty well generally - Coco took bloomin' ages to housetrain  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 05:12:00 PM »
It can be so frustrating.  You think they've got the idea....then they remind us they are really still puppies.

This weather doesn't help either does it?

Hope all gets well. Xx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 06:29:38 PM »
Hi Guys,

His poo's are normal??
He has just gone out and done wees in the rain no problem?!

No mess since?

I'll see how he goes tomorrow.   :lol2:

thank you

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
If pups are healthy they do sometimes have relapses - just because they're quite young still

And, yes, sometimes, even though they enjoy walking in the rain doesn't mean they enjoy going to the loo in the rain
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 12:46:51 PM »
If pups are healthy they do sometimes have relapses - just because they're quite young still

And, yes, sometimes, even though they enjoy walking in the rain doesn't mean they enjoy going to the loo in the rain

I think that when they are reasonably trustworthy we sometimes get a bit complacent and forget to watch them all the time.  Ozzy has had several wee accidents indoors the last couple of days, but that's because we were being less than vigilant.  It's a bit of a pain when they won't whine or bark to let you know they need to go out - Ozzy just sits at the patio door for a bit, and if we don't spot that he's there he'll wee on the mat!!  >:D  Anyone got any ideas about how we can train him to make a noise when he needs to go out?  :005:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:52:49 PM »

I think that when they are reasonably trustworthy we sometimes get a bit complacent and forget to watch them all the time.  Ozzy has had several wee accidents indoors the last couple of days, but that's because we were being less than vigilant.  It's a bit of a pain when they won't whine or bark to let you know they need to go out - Ozzy just sits at the patio door for a bit, and if we don't spot that he's there he'll wee on the mat!!  >:D  Anyone got any ideas about how we can train him to make a noise when he needs to go out?  :005:

I'd be interested in this too.

Charlie goes to the back door which is in the kitchen and paces...if I don't hear him pacing then I'm stuck. Usually I'm on the ball though, he's 15 months old and has cried to go out maybe twice...
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »
How annoying for you! No advice really, other than wondering if he's got a dodgy tummy (as others have suggested). The only accidents Henry's had a couple of months ago were when he weeed inside because he had a slight bladder infection. If Alex doesn't normally do it it could well be a sign of an upset tummy. Or perhaps he's teething and feeling in pain? It could just be a minor blip - some dogs do relapse a bit.

I also remember some people saying that having the door open is bad for house-training, so perhaps you could leave the door shut, which might then remind him that he has to tell you when he wants to go out. And then when he does go when he's outside do the excessive praise again.

By the way, did you ever contact his breeder about the pedigree?

Offline YvonneC22

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »
He has been fine today, no accidents at all  :lol2:

Must have just just been a bad day yesterday.
I'm quite lucky as he scratches the back door or whimpers and paces near the door.
If Im In the living room and he isn't asleep on the sofa next to me I know he must be at the back door and needs to go out  :005:

I don't know how you would get them to let you know  :huh: cant offer advice I'm afraid