Author Topic: How do you know if a puppy will be a roan?  (Read 10621 times)

Offline Davyboy16

• Jasper 2002-2011, miss ya mate.
How do you know if a puppy will be a roan?
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »
Hi everyone,

We are looking for an orange roan boy, Jasper who we lost last year was a blue roan and we could tell from the first time we saw him he was a roan. We have seen a litter on champ dogs, the dad is a blue roan and mum is a orange and white, the breeder is saying the pup boy left is an orange roan but at only 4 weeks its difficult to tell.

I know colour isn't the main concern but once we are happy with health and temperament colour is important as we really want an orange roan.

I have heard something about the colour of their feet changing from pink to black is an indication that they will be a roan but I'm just unsure if this is correct.

Can anyone help me with this please.

Thanks,

Craig.

Offline beanbag

Re: How do you know if a puppy will be a roan?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 08:03:52 PM »
I dont know if theres an official way  (im sure there is) but the little girl we are getting is a chocolate roan adn the breeder has sent us pictures each week (we see her every 2 weeks) of her and how she is changing....The white fur gets darker and some of her big brown markings have merged together. Its really hard to explain haha  :005:

Offline karen488

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 08:13:51 PM »
Bingley was supposed to be B & W, but he is either ticked or light blue roan. He had pink paws. He is close enough to the colouring that I wanted. Wouldn't let it worry you too much, it's difficult with blue roan would have thought it was nigh on impossible to predict with oranges (our girlis orange roan)  :huh:

Offline beanbag

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 08:17:08 PM »
Thats somethine else i was told actually, the colour of their nose and pads on their paws. If they are pink they will be White and organe for instance. So if my pup had pink pads she would more than likely be white and chocolate. The darker their pads the darker the pup will be....I think.... :huh: :005:

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 08:17:44 PM »
I have a B&W ticked and a light blue roan.

With Charlie (B&W) his paw pads were petal pink as a small puppy, they eventually went dark as he grew older, he still has tiny pink patches between his toes :luv:

Dexter's paw pads were black when I picked him at 5 weeks old, my understanding is that the roans have darker paw pads early on.
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline ElvieMogs

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »
There's some info and photos on this website that might help you.

http://www.powerscourt-cockers.co.uk/advice_pages/parti_colour_development.htm

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
Ellie is an orange roan but compared to some orange roans I have seen she is very unroany.  She is mainly white with orange ears, an orange cross on her back and a ring of orange at the base of her tail.  She does have roany bits in her white but they are not dark.  Her pads and nose are pinky brown.

When we were looking for a puppy we went to see a litter where the mum was orange roan.  She was so orangey she looked like a marmalade cat, there was barely any white on her.  

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 08:46:48 PM »
I understood it to be solid black paws/nose indicated a roan, any pink ticked/black & white....
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
Do the ticked have patches of solid colour on them, or just flecks of colour in the white.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 08:51:32 PM »
I understood it to be solid black paws/nose indicated a roan, any pink ticked/black & white....

yes thats right  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »

yes thats right  :shades:

Or solid brown! Archie is orange roan and has brown paws and nose not black.  ;)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
Hi, this was Jinley at 4 weeks (I think) she had black nose and black feet, which is how the breeder knew she would be a roan.

At 6 months

When not caked in mud or fox poo now she looks like this, but is constantly changing colour and markings

Pat x

Offline Rowan Liver Roan

• Rowan Liver Roan
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 10:55:38 PM »
Rowan is a chocolate roan but had pink pads and still has a velvety pink/brown nose - still no black paws or nose at 14 months. Our breeder said she had the double liver genes. I'm not sure how this fits with the equally gorgeous oranges though.
Proud to be owned by a cocker spaniel.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 11:03:42 PM »
Hi everyone,

We are looking for an orange roan boy, Jasper who we lost last year was a blue roan and we could tell from the first time we saw him he was a roan. We have seen a litter on champ dogs, the dad is a blue roan and mum is a orange and white, the breeder is saying the pup boy left is an orange roan but at only 4 weeks its difficult to tell.

I know colour isn't the main concern but once we are happy with health and temperament colour is important as we really want an orange roan.

I have heard something about the colour of their feet changing from pink to black is an indication that they will be a roan but I'm just unsure if this is correct.

Can anyone help me with this please.

Thanks,

Craig.

A bit of a long shot, but if they have a photo people on here might be able to advise?
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 11:38:22 PM »
I can't speak for other colours, but Clover was meant to be black and white - I especially wanted a black and white puppy! However, when she turned one year old, someone told me they thought she was a light blue roan. I looked it up on a cocker breeders website how to tell the difference, and it seems that if she had solid black pads then she was a light blue roan - and she does, so she is!  ;)  ( If she had any pink on her pads she would be a black and white. I can't remember what it said about pads in relation to a dog with a ticked coat now!) Whatever, I love how she looks now and I don't care what colour she is described as!  :005: Good luck with your search! 
To know them is to love them.....