Author Topic: Yelp while out on a walk  (Read 480 times)

Offline polarbear

Yelp while out on a walk
« on: October 29, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
A very odd thing happened today on Cooper's walk. 

We were on a grassy public footpath walking merrily along when all of a sudden Cooper started yelping as though in severe pain and he backed away.

He was off the lead but right by my side.  My first thoughts were that he had got his foot stuck in a trap or he had been bitten by a snake - the yelping was that bad.

I persuaded him to let me approach him, I was trying to stay calm but I was panicking, and I rolled him over to check his feet and tummy but there didn't seem to be anything wrong.  I scooped him up in my arms (he was wet and muddy - yuck) and cuddled him and he was shaking.  After a few minutes he seemed fine so I set him down again and he walked off merrily with no limp or anything wrong.  Since then he's been fine.

So what could it have been?  I looked over the grass thoroughly but couldn't see anything.  Could it have been a nettle sting do you think?  Or a thorn that immediately fell out?

I know it's unlikely anyone will have an answers for me but thought I would post as it was so odd and frightening I feel a bit shaken by it.  :huh:

Offline fionad

Re: Yelp while out on a walk
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 02:33:40 PM »
I expect he stood on something sharp like a thistle or something. It hurt like hell but didn't cause any damage. Lexi has done this once or twice.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »
Coco starts hopping when she treads on a thistle or something like a sharp stone or holly leaf.  ;)

If you can't see anything and he is fine now, that is probably all it was  :D
Julie and Watson

Offline jessika

• Ozzie
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 05:56:20 PM »
Like people above said, he probably stood on a thistle or a stone, be sure to check between the pads of his paws for small stones :)

Follow Ozzie at  instagram.com/ozzie_cockerdile

Offline Snoo

• Clover, DOB 17/05/11
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 07:06:36 PM »
That is exactly what Clover did one day in a grassy field back in the summer, and I too thought she had trodden on a thistle (she has done that several times before and hobbled for a bit until the pain went) or been bitten by an adder - however, this time she didn't hobble, and it turned out to be a dreaded grass seed which had got into her ear, which the vet removed. She did hold her head on one side and shake her head a fair bit so if Cooper is not doing that hopefully he hasn't picked up a grass seed but might be worth checking him over thoroughly. I am paranoid about those after that particular episode and Clover's recent two ops to remove grass seeds from under her skin.....
To know them is to love them.....

Offline polarbear

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 08:30:53 PM »
Thanks for everyone's reassuring replies. 

As you say, it must have been a thistle or a stone and hopefully not a grass seed.  I've not seen any head shaking or ear rubbing since though.  I checked him over when I groomed him and there's no sign of anything untoward.

Thanks again  :D