Author Topic: Frogs 🐸  (Read 739 times)

Offline abzy0309

Frogs 🐸
« on: September 12, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
Reggie just caught a frog in the garden and brought it to me still alive..... Ewwww.

Are they harmful in anyway? I know snails are and there has been a lot on our local news recently about watching your dog in the garden because of certain things!

Abbie & Reggie

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Frogs
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 10:11:46 PM »
Was it definitely a frog and not a toad?

Both emit slime that tastes bad but toads also have some toxin containing glands that can cause dogs to froth at the mouth and become ill in extreme cases. But usually a few licks are enough make a dog realise that frogs and toads taste disgusting and they drop them. So I expect Reggie will be fine.

My first Cocker brought a frog to me one evening but was clearly uncomfortable about the taste of it and dropped it, then spent some time licking his lips as if he had a horrible taste in his mouth. It didn't make him ill though.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
Re: Frogs 🐸
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 10:20:14 PM »
Can't help you, but would be good to know, we get a fair few considering we live up a hill and not near any ponds, but thankfully mine don't know what to do with them and just look at them or growl and run off lol

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »
Charlie caught a tiny grass frog last year but he spat it out within seconds, I think he got as much shock as I did. No ill effects.

I'd just keep an eye on him.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
I'm not quite sure if it was a frog or toad :-/

He def didn't like it....he dropped it and then I had to catch it!

Abbie & Reggie

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 11:37:00 PM »
Mr Kermit looks like he has a grin on his face saying "Phew!! that was close"   :lol:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 12:20:31 AM »
Hard to tell from that photo but does look like a toad to me if skin is rough then its a toad if skin is very smooth then a frog.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 07:12:27 AM »
 Thinking a toad as we don't have a pond, the nearest water is a little away from our house and I read frogs don't travel far! Also he waa very brave too, not moving when i went close, especially after he'd been attacked by a Cockerdile!! He was smooth though as far as I could see, but he was very wet from the rain! Who knows!

Reggie's ok so far  :D

Abbie & Reggie

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »
Glad he is ok - need eyes in the back of your head with these inquisitive pups, don't you  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline dawn

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 09:29:03 AM »
Wow, that toad looks bigger than I expected!  :005:

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »
It's a good job I am brave.... More than I can say for my OH!!

Abbie & Reggie

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
Well done for picking it up, I would have run a mile screaming :shades: I hate the things and anything else reptilian >:D
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline airyfairy76

• Site Member
    • Facebook page: A Spaniel's Tail
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 05:24:18 PM »
Lottie met a tiny little frog in the garden the other night - I have to admit I closed the door before she could bring it in, as I live in my own and am not good with wee beasties!

Don't know what the frog thought - she didn't touch it, just danced around it like a loony, play bowing....  :005:

Offline PopPops

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 07:59:56 PM »

One of my cats cannot leave the toad alone which lives at the bottom of our garden, and annually has had to go to the vet for a shot to dry up the saliva pouring from his mouth as it tastes so disgusting. I know when he's done it, I wake up to this miserable cat who is drenched from chin to foot.

Frogs - no problem, no dribbling, and the frogs scream indignantly for help. I've rescued a few off the stairs in the middle of the night who are severely fed up with being carried about by cats. So they're not poisonous but they're very noisy when cross.  :005:
Pops the Womble: November 2012 to February 2017. Forever loved and missed Poppet.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »
love the frog/toads expression  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----