Author Topic: Kidney disease  (Read 3086 times)

Offline chriswilliams

Kidney disease
« on: January 22, 2022, 10:43:24 PM »
I’m so sad, number 3 of our blue roan babies from the same breeder in Rugeley has gone across the rainbow bridge before time, all with kidney disease, why oh why do these breeders still get to sell puppies with a high coefficient. Isn’t it about time the Kennel club stopped this practice. Our last one was only 6yrs old, this one was only 9yrs. Please please stop inbreeding.😓

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
Re: Kidney disease
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 11:09:33 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss. Most responsible breeders carry out health tests and work hard to eradicate inherited health conditions. Was your dog from health tested parents?

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 07:34:34 AM »
How heartbreaking for you to lose your beloved doggies at such a young age.  I do feel for you.  I think the answer is definitely health testing.  I viewed a litter of blue roan puppies at a breeder in Stafford nearly two years ago and both the parents had a huge amount of health tests.  The breeder showed me all the paperwork, certificates etc.  It was fantastic.  For personal reasons I didn't actually purchase a puppy, I had recently lost my husband and my Cocker and ultimately decided it was not the right time for me to have another puppy.  I now have a 3 year old rescue blue roan who is completely wonderful and at my age this was the right decision.  There are excellent, caring breeders out there who are not just in it to make money, when and if you feel ready to have another dog in your life.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 09:27:54 AM »
So so sad. I too , lost my beautiful Bobby to a kidney problem aged 8. He was from top breeders, tested for the usual, 6% coefficient, so might not be genetic.  However,  yours sound too much of a coincidence. Have looked up their inbreeding on the kennel club cocker health list? Do report your dog, and also tell the breeder. It’s fair to let them know because it’s better than rumours spreading.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Toofast

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 09:53:06 PM »
All of my girls are DNA tested clear for FN, prcd-PRA, AMS and AON. I will only use a stud dog that is also DNA clear of these horrible diseases. I am NOT a KC accredited breeder, I believe DNA testing is the correct and responsible thing to do !
DNA testing for known hereditary diseases is the most responsible thing to do if you intend breeding from from your girl or boy.
It is a shame than not enough people looking to buy are not aware of the hereditary conditions that our pets can be affected by. Unfortunately there are still many problems that DNA testing can not prove and there are many illnesses that can not be avoided.

I have attached a link about FN familial-nephropathy
https://www.antagene.com/en/no/familial-nephropathy-english-cocker-spaniel-breed

Offline chriswilliams

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm sorry for your loss. Most responsible breeders carry out health tests and work hard to eradicate inherited health conditions. Was your dog from health tested parents?
Yes, unfortunately when we bought all 3 we had never heard of coefficient scores, they were all KC registered with a distinguished ancestry and all parents were health tested. After we lost Lily at 6yrs we looked into it and all had a high score, our 4th Luna is from a different breeder and we checked the coefficient before getting her. When we got Lily we had a big problem getting any paperwork and we are not sure that everything was ‘kosher’, we were give many strange excuses by the KC registered breeder but we trusted her because of her involvement in show judging.

Offline sueneil

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 07:16:12 PM »
I'm very concerned the breeder is involved in showing/judging especially as I am the health and welfare officer for The Cocker Spaniel Club. We have a code of ethics for breeders/owners who are members of the Club. I am totally committed to health checking and testing and do all I can to encourage everyone to test and report their results and to be open and honest when selling puppies.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 10:35:38 PM »
Very sorry for your loss.

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 10:00:54 AM »
I’m so sorry for your loss and sorry that you’re going through this again; it’s heartbreaking.  Is the breeder aware?

John

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 02:12:33 PM »
I too am so very sorry for your loss - this really does make you think of the pitfalls finding our four legged friends, Ollie was a rescue so he came free of knowledge of test etc.

I hope sometime you can find another four legged friend.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed