Author Topic: Allergic to Hill’s i/d science diet?  (Read 3175 times)

Offline langcliffe

• Settle Music
Allergic to Hill’s i/d science diet?
« on: April 09, 2022, 09:48:14 AM »
Bramble is nearly 12, been diagnosed with pancreatitis, so was put on hill’s i/d about 2 years ago. She has now developed  bad diahorea/ colitis  and is ravenously hungry,, is on a probiotic and painkillers-and rehydration fluid.. I wonder could she be allergic to her food?  She whines at us constantly and we are getting increasingly tired sleeping on the sofa.. her lipids are high when they test them.. just wonder what we should do?
Linda & Allan
 www.settlemusic.co.uk
Thinking about Music....

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Allergic to Hill’s i/d science diet?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 12:16:02 PM »
As Ollie has aged his difficulties in eating has changed. Plus his daily medication does not help.

I was given a probiotic from the vets - I had expected to be a vet medicine product instead it was a high end brand dog food brand, it was called Bionic - it certainly made Ollie bionic poo wise.
In the end I returned to what always settled him down which was a product Lintbells YuDigest probiotic sachets.
When the dog is really bad you give one a day for 6 days - I always went 4 days then half sachet till finished the 6 sachets.

I make his meals and only add a handful of senior dry dog food with a Yumove tablet in one meal and the other a tip of the digest powder - no problems in last six months.

My only concern with Bramble is you mention her whining and tired which sound like pain, so maybe a trip to the vet before you change her present regime as Hills is complex.

Do hope you get her sorted.

Julie

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 12:12:42 AM »
Some dogs develop a condition called exocrine pancreatic insufficiency, (EPI)  after pancreatitis.  The most distinct symptoms are greasy, grey cow pat poos or diarrhoea,  weight loss  and ravenous appetite.  Vets are not familiar with it, as I know too well from personal experience.    The dog will not be producing enzymes to digest food, so the basic treatment is to supplement with replacement enzymes.
If this is relevant to you,  you would need to ask the vet for an epi blood test,  B12 and folates.  It’s not cheap , but is definitive.    Once diagnosed , and given the proper lifelong treatment,  they should return to normal .

Information is on epi4dogs website.  It isn’t a quack setup.

Gut problems are soothed with slippery elm or Dorwest bark.  Is there any blood is the poo?   Has he got acid reflux? I can’t comment on the Hills food.   I feel very strongly that you should see your vet asp.  and check for epi. Don’t agree to any invasive tests like endoscopy or biopsies  until you’ve checked this.   
If you aren’t satisfied with your vet,  try a different one.
Feel free to send me a private message if you need to know more. I’m not a vet,  but lived with a spaniel with epi  for eight years.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 06:16:49 PM »
I can also support slippery elm by Dorwest Bark it was something I used for years before moving to Lintbells.
I believe that slippery elm buts a lining on there digestive system to sooth.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 07:15:40 PM »
Another thought which the vet may have tested for is Cushings or atypical cushings. Steroids can cause a type of Cushings. 
He obviously is in discomfort or suffering from anxiety. Low B12, a symptom  in epi,  has many  effects, especially depression , confusion eg waking at night,  fatigue and digestive trouble.  My dog had all these,  and awful separation anxiety.
If future  blood tests still indicate chronic pancreatitis, maybe a food change is needed. I don’t like Hills food generally, tasteless, overpriced, and in some respects not suitable for all dogs digestive issues.. I think the I/d diet has too much fat for you (13.5).  An approved home made diet can be much better or commercial pancreatic ones.
I lost Bobby cocker to a kidney condition, no thanks to the vets,  and seeing him cry broke my heart. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.