Author Topic: Ball games  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Cathymac

Ball games
« on: November 11, 2021, 04:43:07 PM »
Hi,

I wondered if people could suggest a few fun things to do with my puppy while out on “ off the lead”
Walks.
I was thinking about getting the Kong squeaky balls to throw but a dog trainer said jumping low to retrieve a lot wasn’t good for a little puppy’s growing bones.

Bess our show cocker is almost 5 months old.

Does anyone have any game suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Ball games
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 04:56:51 PM »
I have a four month old working cocker.  When out off the lead, I started out by hiding several of her  toys for her,  just throwing them down when she wasn’t looking.   Then we would walk past and if she found one,  lots of praise.  Now when we go out, she is actively looking for hidden toys, zig zagging across the field and using her nose.  I find that this does tire her out a lot 😀
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Cathymac

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 07:49:28 AM »
Thanks for this!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 09:52:04 AM »
I also throw a ball for her when she is on the lead so she can see it.  Then I walk away with her in the opposite direction.  Then when I release her, she knows the ball is somewhere around but has to use her nose to locate it.  I think this more challenging for her than just throwing the ball for her to retrieve and she really seems to enjoy it.   We don’t go very far as she is only 4 months or do too much but I think it is more tiring for her.   There is also no chance of her jumping up to grab the ball before it lands.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline Cathymac

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 06:32:54 AM »
Thank you!