Author Topic: 12 year old arthritis/howling - any help please.  (Read 5114 times)

Offline Teddy2019

12 year old arthritis/howling - any help please.
« on: July 24, 2020, 08:59:33 AM »
Hi all,

My parents’ cocker Is 12 years old and he struggles to get up when lying as well as when he wants to lie down when standing. He also struggle to jump up small things like steps and into the car. Does anyone have any help to ease the pain for him? He has been to the vets and it hasn’t made much difference. I have seen gylco tablets seem to be good but expensive. Has anyone had an success with these?

Also he will be asleep or lying around then all of a sudden will get up and cry/howl until told to stop. It’s like he feels lost and doesn’t know where anyone is. He will constantly cry and howl through the night as well. Has anyone else experienced this or have any solutions?

Thanks

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: 12 year old arthritis/howling - any help please.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 11:01:07 AM »
My cocker is over 12 and was showing some signs of stiffness etc and I went with Yumove - it was last Autumn and he is really improved...however I don't think he showed the height of pain and discomfort your dog seems to be showing.

It was signs that he was not comfy when lying and not wanting to jump puddles etc when out walking and the odd limp etc.  Nor can I say they ease pain they are herb based.

The crying sounds like bad pain and I think a trip to the vet and possible proper meds....Meloxican or something.

Whatever did the vet say!!

Just to add that yumove is a supplement containing Glucosamine for joint care along with other supplements
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 01:47:35 PM »
PLEASE,  don’t tell him off!  :huh: I‘m quite sure he wouldn‘t howl or cry unless he was distressed.
If what the vet prescribed isn‘t helping then I would also suggest a return visit and ask for pain relief. Lots of older dog suffer stiffness and have trouble getting up and down but pain and stress which you describe, while he‘s not moving, needs to be investigated.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 11:09:32 AM »
Back to the vet. Dog is in pain and being told off? He is asking for help, not being a nuisance.

Offline Teddy2019

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 11:53:28 AM »
He is old and we understand he struggles. He is fine once he is sat with you or can see you. He will go and sit in a spot or if he can’t see you he may start to howl until he is told to stop. He doesn’t cry or howl about his legs it is only when he can’t see anyone. We think he has separation anxiety but recently he has got worse as mentioned above. He has always howled at night usually about midnight then he goes back to sleep. However nowadays he will wake up and howl throughout the night and we are struggling to get sleep.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 12:42:14 PM »
Could he also have a touch of dementia? I personally would be back to the vet.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 03:50:43 PM »
I know this might be not to every ones liking - but if he struggles if you are out of sight and settles when he sees you/is close by.....could you maybe try and place his bed in your bed room.

We had my late Nan's old corgi when Nan passed and it was similar in she would not sleep...and she was struggling, I had her bed just outside by bedroom door and left it open - she would lie on the carpet watching and then sleep, then go and lie on her bed.  I think it was security in her old age. We are in a bungalow so there were no stairs.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mari

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 12:17:44 PM »
First priority should be to manage his pain. It sounds like supplements will maybe not be enough. Medications should possibly be added to his treatment. Talk to the vet again and make a plan for the future. There are several options for medical management of joint pain. Veterinary diets with added glukosamine and chondroitin can help, so can supplements. But at a certain point medications, like veterinary NSAID's, are needed too. There are veterinary diets aimed to help cognitive function as well, not too familiar with these, but they can be worth considering. Either way the pain relief is very important. Dogs don't want to show weakness so if he is howling and struggling visibly that means another trip to the vet is necessary. Hope you can figure out a good treatment plan with your vet. It is not easy when they get old.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 04:05:36 PM »
It sounds like dementia to me.
helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
Is he deaf?  My old dog, Coco became restless and distressed at night when she went completely deaf. Otherwise, as others have said, it could be dementia.  :'(  He obviously feels comforted when you are close.

With Coco I just brought her up to sleep with me and she was fine overnight.  :luv:

Re the arthritis, have a look at golden paste - it contains turmeric which is a natural anti inflammatory and works brilliantly for some dogs (and humans!) Lots of information on here:  https://goldenpastecompany.co.uk/
Julie and Watson

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2020, 12:06:13 PM »
It also sounds like a touch of dementia too - older dogs do act strangely as they age (one of mine used to go and stand in corners facing the wall).

If they haven't done it yet its worth a full blood panel too
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 12:03:06 PM »
It does sound like dementia to me too.
I have 13 year old litter sisters.  About 6 months ago, Stevie began to act strangely.  She would often just stand and stare into space.  Then she started circling before sitting down ( I know most dogs do this, but Stevie’s  circling was extreme).  She tries to get into parts of the house (in between furniture/walls )that she couldn’t possibly fit in.  Then she started to disappear on walks.  She would be with us one minute and then we would look and she was running in a direction we never go in.  She didn’t seem to hear us when we called her either. It was scary and we have decided for her own safety she has to be kept on an extended lead.  Both dogs at 13 have arthritis and Stevie also finds it difficult to get up from long sleeps.  They used to sleep in my room upstairs but Stevie then found it difficult to get up and equally difficult to come down. It really upsets me to leave them downstairs but they have got used to it. .Both girls are on Yumove and it has helped mobility slightly.  After their morning walk, Stevie will quite happily sleep until evening but all that inactivity does mean that it is then difficult for her to get up again.  I try to get her up mid afternoon just to stretch her legs.  When we return to the house,  Stevie seldom bothers to greet us now.  Her unusual behaviour has had an effect on her sister too.  Marley gets really stressed by Stevie’s circling and doesn’t understand that Stevie is now unable to read her warning signals.  Only this morning she fell down a ditch and became very distressed and started crying out in her confusion.  I had to climb down and rescue her but she became quite agressive to me as she didn’t realize I was rescuing her.
We have learnt to recognise that when she starts circling she either wants to go out (poo or wee), she wants a drink, or she wants food.    She has always been a good eater but now we have to start her off by showing her the food, hand feeding a small amount and then showing her the bowl.  It is as though she doesn’t know what she is meant to do.  Once she starts eating she is in her eating mode and would go on forever.
It makes us really really sad to see both girls ageing but I do count myself lucky in that I still have both girls and every day is a blessing.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 05:43:01 PM »
That is hard for you to deal with Vixen.  Sad to see them decline.  They are lucky to be well loved and cared for.  :bigarmhug:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 09:14:11 AM »
That is hard for you to deal with Vixen.  Sad to see them decline.  They are lucky to be well loved and cared for.  :bigarmhug:

Thank you ejp  :bigarmhug:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2020, 02:10:55 PM »
For stiffness I would definately recommend Golden paste , which is a mixture of Turmeric oils and black pepper, it is very useful also for other health issues , but excellent for stiffness and inflammation, you will need to be sure it is okay with any meds, if you go on the dog Turmeric site they will tell you which meds you can use etc etc. My girl is on1/4 tsp twice a day and is doing fine,it also wont have the organ poisoning affect that many other meds have