Author Topic: Help I'm new!!  (Read 951 times)

Offline Sassieb22

Help I'm new!!
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:33:05 AM »
So, first time on here and learning the ropes.

Our Myles is 6 1/2 weeks right now (I will try and put some piccies up once I've learnt how!) and is coming home at the end of the month - so excited but a little nervous!! Done loads of background research but will welcome any advise from more experienced owners. We've never had a dog from a pup before and I'm desperate to get the training right first time!!

I have loads of questions;

- We want to crate train but with the divider; anyone know where I can get one of these from? It would appear we need to buy a crate and divider seperate??
- I really would like to get a good 'all-rounder' puppy book, can anyone recommend one?
- I understand no food in the crate, but water is ok right?
- What does anyone else use to clean the little accidents?
- What lead is the best to start with?
- How soon can we put a collar on?

Any help with the questions above or other general advise is greatly received!!

Thanks,

Offline Manster62

• Dylan and Daisy
Re: Help I'm new!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:22:13 AM »
Hi!

Welcome to COL! It's a great site and I'm sure you'll soon get addicted to coming here every day!  :lol2:

Having not done crate training before, I'm afraid I can't answer your main questions, but I'm sure someone else will be along shortly who can answer your questions.

Good luck with the Myles - although we already have an 15 month old cocker, we too are awaiting the arrival of a puppy (Daisy) who is 6 and a half weeks old at the moment! So we'll be mirroring your progress! Just enjoy the next couple of weeks' sleep before he arrives - but more importantly, enjoy it when you get your little fluff ball home with you.  :005:

Mandy x
Dylan - b: January 2010  and  Daisy - b: March 2011
RIP Meggie - b: February 1997  - d: December 2009

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »
Hi and welcome :)  Yes enjoy the sleep while you can but also enjoy the planning and bringing home your new puppy  :D

Ive found the cheapest place to get crates (of a decent quality) is ebay, having never used a divider I couldnt comment on whether you can also buy crates pre-installed with dividers, but I assume a seperate one can also be purchased.  

There are lots of puppy books out there, one often talked about on here is Ian Dunbar Before and after getting your puppy I believe its called, but you can more often find the information you need either on here or the web anyway.

You can if you wish feed the puppy in his crate, in a way it will make him think its a nice place as there is food in there, I wouldnt however leave food down in it, only at food times.  Ive never put food in the crate or water, I use a seperate area as the crate is for sleep only and I dont want any wee or pee in the crate, but its personal preference on how you wish to crate train.

I use zoflora (mixed with water) for wee accidents as its nice and smelly and covers the urine smell well, alot of people use biological washing powder too, dont use bleach as it smells of ammonia which can encourage the pup to urinate.

Lead is again personal preference, Ive just changed over to a slip lead for our pup (12 weeks) as he was pulling on a normal lead/collar and its also easier to get on and off in a hurry.

You can use the collar as soon as you get him home to get him used to it and leave it on if you wish (remove at sleep times if crating) but I found Toby didnt like his and only used it for walks and now Ive taken it away completely.

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 12:34:36 PM »
Hi there and welcome!  How exciting - a new pup soon :luv:

I got my cage and divider from the Pet Planet website, you just choose the correct divider for the correct cage size.  It was invaluable for overnight in the crate for me.  Odie slept upstairs next to my bed and as he had lots of problems with toilet messing in his crate, reducing the size of the space he slept in helped this loads overnight.

If you are going to keep the pup downstairs however, I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from someone who has done it that way!

Odie was my first pup and even though I read as much as possible and thought I'd be prepared, I was shocked with just how much patience, time and effort pups are!  I have Gwen Bailey's The Perfect Puppy which is available via Amazon and has excellent reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Puppy-Britains-Number-Care/dp/060061722X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305372764&sr=8-1

Hope this helps and good luck!  Lesley
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 02:39:55 PM »
Lead is again personal preference, Ive just changed over to a slip lead for our pup (12 weeks) as he was pulling on a normal lead/collar and its also easier to get on and off in a hurry.

I use a slip lead but would only ever use a slip lead on a dog that has learnt how to walk on a flat collar and lead first -  I really wouldn't use a slip lead on a small pup  :-\  Also, unless the dog is working it's a legal requirement for him to wear a collar and tag in public areas so I would persevere with him getting used to wearing one.  On some walks where there is thick cover that I know Jarv will go through and could get caught he goes collarless but I always have one to slip on if we need to.

back to OP - hello and welcome  :D

As for books, I took a lot from Gwen Bailey's 'perfect puppy' (don't agree with it all though!) and think that Pamela Dennisons book is great http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Positive-Training-Lifestyle-Paperback/dp/1615640665/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305379917&sr=8-1

and Carolyn Monteiths book is meant to be good too http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dog-Manual-Definitive-Training-Together/dp/1844253511/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305380077&sr=1-1

helen & jarvis x

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »
We put a collar on Bix from day 1
Both Bix and Pops wear one all day.
Apart from a little difficulty getting Bix's collar on in the morning, he doesn't mind it at all now.
(I take them off at night and when we're going out and leaving them in the house)

Offline choccietoby

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 02:57:15 PM »

I use a slip lead but would only ever use a slip lead on a dog that has learnt how to walk on a flat collar and lead first -  I really wouldn't use a slip lead on a small pup  :-\  Also, unless the dog is working it's a legal requirement for im to wear a collar and tag in public areas so I would persevere with him getting used to wearing one.  On some walks where there is thick cover that I know Jarv will go through and could get caught he goes collarless but I always have one to slip on if we need to.

Why if you dont mind me asking wouldnt you use one on a pup? He can and does wear the collar if needs be, however, we only use the collar/lead to walk about 100 yards from our house to the woods behind where upon he is let off the lead anyway.  The 'normal' collar/lead he was choaking on as he pulled too much and cried, with the slip lead he doesnt.  Unaware of the legal requirement of collar/tag (doesnt have a tag) but is microchipped.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »

I use a slip lead but would only ever use a slip lead on a dog that has learnt how to walk on a flat collar and lead first -  I really wouldn't use a slip lead on a small pup  :-\  Also, unless the dog is working it's a legal requirement for im to wear a collar and tag in public areas so I would persevere with him getting used to wearing one.  On some walks where there is thick cover that I know Jarv will go through and could get caught he goes collarless but I always have one to slip on if we need to.

Why if you dont mind me asking wouldnt you use one on a pup? He can and does wear the collar if needs be, however, we only use the collar/lead to walk about 100 yards from our house to the woods behind where upon he is let off the lead anyway.  The 'normal' collar/lead he was choaking on as he pulled too much and cried, with the slip lead he doesnt.  Unaware of the legal requirement of collar/tag (doesnt have a tag) but is microchipped.

if he's choking because he's pulling it's up to you to teach him not to pull really.  I'm sure that this won't be the only walk he'll be doing in his life and it's best to start teaching him to walk nicely at an early age.  I wouldn't use a slip lead on a pup as they do have a tightening effect.  Ideally you want your puppy to learn not to pull through reward methods, not through the lead tightening around their neck.   As they get older and stronger they will naturally pull so putting in the training hours now will help.   And yes,  slipleads can easily damage a delicate pup's neck and spine.

Here are the details of the legal requirements for you from the Control of Dogs Order 1992

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/379 

helen & jarvis x

Offline PennyB

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 06:28:48 PM »

as well as being a legal requirement its also a lot quicker to have dogs returned if they have a collar and tag on them
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Sassieb22

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 07:05:32 PM »
Thank you all for your welcomes and advise, I'm sure I will be back on here before too long will a whole new list of questions!!

Was out today and picked up a doggie book so off for a read :-)

Thank you once again.