Author Topic: Putting collar and harness on puppy  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Looe

Putting collar and harness on puppy
« on: February 06, 2021, 09:34:23 AM »
Good morning all please can you help. We have a 4 month old working cocker boy called Digby, we lost our two 14 year olds last year sadly and it's been a wee while since we were in puppy ville! How on earth do we get past the collar and harness craziness before walks!? He goes absolutely nuts and makes it nearly impossible to put both on any advice would be well received thanks 😁 Ps how do I post a pic of him 🤔
Outside of a dog a book is a mans best friend, inside of a dog its too dark to read ....

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Putting collar and harness on puppy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 05:16:20 PM »
Good morning all please can you help. We have a 4 month old working cocker boy called Digby, we lost our two 14 year olds last year sadly and it's been a wee while since we were in puppy ville! How on earth do we get past the collar and harness craziness before walks!? He goes absolutely nuts and makes it nearly impossible to put both on any advice would be well received thanks 😁 Ps how do I post a pic of him 🤔

Probably best to practice with no end reward of the walk!  Get him to sit, put the collar on, reward with affection or treat whichever you use.  Take the collar off.  Repeat until it’s all a bit boring because he doesn’t go for a walk.  We only use a slip lead so can’t really comment about harnesses.

Whe you find out how to post a picture please share as I’ve not worked it out in the last 12 months!   It used to be straightforward through Tapatalk or adding an attachment below   :shades:

Offline Shaun W

Re: Putting collar and harness on puppy
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 08:30:00 PM »
When Alfie wore his harness we went  through putting it on, without a walk and treat, teaching him to put his head through the hole.
I’ve moved on from the harness just to his collar as he was pulling too much in the harness.  He wear his collar all the time.
Now the fun and games are getting his coat on, but Alfie will put his head through and let me attach the Velcro, the issue for me is getting the head through the hole whilst he still has my slipper in his mouth 🙄
Once I pick his lead up he sits to be clipped on.
I use a slip lead when going out to the car  and the long term aim is to get him used to that, but at the moment he’s getting a lot of pavement sniff walks so is on a retractable lead.