Author Topic: Top tips for loosen lead walking  (Read 989 times)

Offline kslrow

Top tips for loosen lead walking
« on: February 15, 2021, 04:18:59 PM »
Does anyone have advice on how to train your dog to walk nicely on a lead? We have a 6 month old working cocker and she is ok on the lead but if she’s excited/ sees something she wants she will pull very intensely  :doh:

We have tried multiple methods but nothing seems to stick! I know loose lead walking is all about being consistent and patient with but I’m starting to worry she won’t ever ge the hang of it!

Thanks everyone

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Top tips for loosen lead walking
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 06:48:53 PM »
Hi! If you go through some of the older threads on here I think you‘ll find that loose lead walking is probably one of the  most discussed problem and I think the vast majority of us have battled with it at some point, - that‘s not intended to discourage you but more to reassure you that you‘re really not on your own! ;)
There are lots of methods from keep changing direction, to keep stopping as soon as the lead goes tight and then waiting until the dog turns back to you and continuing when the lead is loose again, which is the method which I favored but you‘ll probably find loads of others online.
The breakthrough point for me was learning to relax and accepting that Humphrey (who is now 5) was probably never going to walk perfectly on the lead in all situations, cockers are ruled by their noses and any distraction is very difficult  for them to overcome. Unfortunately it took a long time for the penny to drop for me but once I took the pressure off myself and my dog things started to improve. My advice is therefore to pick a method which suits you best and stick to it, keep training sessions short (its very hard work for your dog) and be generous with praise and encouragement,  be consistent but patient and be prepared to continue the training permanently. Above all, don‘t get frustrated because other dogs walk better than yours , they‘re probably not cockers!  :shades:
Best of luck, you’ll get there, - eventually!  ;)

Offline ips

Re: Top tips for loosen lead walking
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 08:01:35 PM »
It's not an easy one that's for sure and I can tell you that I very rarely see a working spaniel good on a lead even or rather especially on a shoot. Strangely my one is better off lead than on. Strangely no2 my one when younger was better on a harness than a lead even though most folk reckon a harness encourages pulling. As Jayne says there seems to be many methods to try which "may" actually not be a good thing as it's easy to swap and change as frustration kicks in. As Jayne says, pick one and stick to it. Good luck
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.