Author Topic: Snatching  (Read 1282 times)

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
Snatching
« on: May 31, 2007, 10:17:10 AM »
Hi everyone

Please can i have your advice on how to teach Honey not to snatch her treats off me........

My hands and fingers are covered in cuts and scratches where she has jumped up for a treat and snatched it out of my hand!!

She is really good at sitting on command but when i go to give her, her treat she jumps up and snatches!! ph34r

How can i stop this??

Thanks in advance,

Lucy x

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
Re: Snatching
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 10:19:57 AM »
All our dogs (four of them...  :shades:) takes treast extremely gently and I have taught them all the same way. I hold a treat in my hand at the tip of my fingers. I offer it to the dog, but don't give it until the tongue comes out to lick it. Then I give it to them. Continue with this (you may want to feed part or all of her dinner) with each kibble/treat until she always uses her tongue to take the treat. I don't say "no" or "ouch" or anything, just hold the treat calmly and quietly until that tongue comes out.

Good luck.

Vera
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Beanie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 10:29:18 AM »
I do similar to Lurcher Girl but say gently, which has also worked when she is taking toys from me - treats are not too bad but if you have her favorite blue ball you used to think she was going to bite your arm off :005:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 10:41:53 AM »
Thats really strange because this is something Kali has just started doing :-\  It seems for everything she masters well, she develops another 2 or 3 bad habits!  I asked Billie (Kali's trainer) on Wednesday and what she suggested is to have the treat in my hand with fingers closed around it.  As soon as Kali stops trying to pry it out of my hand, click and give it to her on a flat hand with the tips of your fingers under her chin.  Works for Kali but then she is an enigma ph34r

Oh, she also said to use lower value treats in the house to what is used at training classes.  I use chopped liver or chopped pork at class and Cheerios at home.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 10:51:10 AM »
Great thanks for your advice!!

Its just those darn puppy teeth!!! I honestly cant believe how sharp they are :005:

My Girls - Molly & Honey

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 10:54:49 AM »
Betty is pretty good now at taking thing nicely, but if shes a little over excited, or theres another dog around, she can start to snatch >:(

So I hold the treat between the tips of my fingers, but with the back of my hand facing her, and while giving the sit comand, I slowly turn my hand around, so she only gets to see the treat slowly, not right out infront of her.
Seems to work :D

Offline Krisdt

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 03:06:06 PM »
I do similar to Lurcher Girl but say gently, which has also worked when she is taking toys from me :005:

We do this but say nicely  instead of gently. But the word isnt that important. He still tries and snatches things from us occaionally (except my Nana who can give him anything and he is very gentle with her) but he is normally very good at responding to this.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 08:52:08 AM »
I use/d the same method as Sheryl with my greedy spaniel! Click - treat on flat hand! With the clicker you will be able to reduce the use of food as reward, thus saving your fingers :005: You could also try slowly waving the treat in front of her face, she will (hopefully) follow your wafting treat, but not be able to focus on it! two or three wafts - pop it in her mouth :005:

Offline *Lucy*

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »
We were practising last night and Honey has improved loads!!!!

I tried all your sugestions but the one she seems to do best is lick the treat and then i slowly give her it!

No cut fingers - so must be getting somewhere :005:

My Girls - Molly & Honey