Author Topic: 1 Testical  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Rnash2002

1 Testical
« on: December 08, 2008, 01:15:26 PM »
Hi there i couldnt help my self and got another cocker to keep maddie company,ive just been for his first injection and the vet could only feel one testical,hes 15 weeks.
What could happen if the other doesnt appear.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: 1 Testical
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »
Have you been back in touch with his breeder?  S/He will be able to reassure you and help you with any concerns you may have  ;) It's not unusual, though.

It surprises me that a 15 week old pup from a reputable breeder has not had his first vaccination, though  :huh:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »
The other may be slow to descend and there is still time it could come down. If it doesn't come down it will most probably be in the inguinal tract or still up in the abdomen (like where ovaries would be).

For an undescended testicle their is a slight increased risk of testicular cancer and it's more of a problem when the testicle is up in the abdomen because you can't see or feel what is going.

I would leave it for now and allow your boy to mature up and if it's still not dropped by the time he's about 18mths I'd consider one of two things either total castration or removal of the undescended teste only.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Rnash2002

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 01:44:27 PM »
The other may be slow to descend and there is still time it could come down. If it doesn't come down it will most probably be in the inguinal tract or still up in the abdomen (like where ovaries would be).

For an undescended testicle their is a slight increased risk of testicular cancer and it's more of a problem when the testicle is up in the abdomen because you can't see or feel what is going.

I would leave it for now and allow your boy to mature up and if it's still not dropped by the time he's about 18mths I'd consider one of two things either total castration or removal of the undescended teste only.
Thats good to know i have time,so the vets tryed to panic me lol.
Ive just spoke to the breeder and hes said the same so no worrys.
Also just to point out the breeder took the money off the price of the pup for the injections because hes been let down so many times with buyers and also had a bad experiance with 2 pups out of a earlyer litter collapsing after the first injection.
so doesnt inject unless the buyer wants it done.
Will try and get pictures up later.  :D

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 01:56:31 PM »
Sorry, dont get the breeder here, not injecting? Surely the breeder wants the best for the little ones!!
I know they can be covered up to 8weeks from the mum, but i thought injections come as standard? Sorry if i sounding rude, i too done know much about this, but the one thing i knew to do and was recomended by breeder was to sort out the injections. Although i do know that some breeders can have the first set of injections done for you, with mine this was not the case, we picked up at 8weeks then went to vets ourselves.
Anyway, yes your right.....photos are wanted!!!  ;)
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:34:12 PM »

Thats good to know i have time,so the vets tryed to panic me lol.
Ive just spoke to the breeder and hes said the same so no worrys.
Also just to point out the breeder took the money off the price of the pup for the injections because hes been let down so many times with buyers and also had a bad experiance with 2 pups out of a earlyer litter collapsing after the first injection.
so doesnt inject unless the buyer wants it done.
Will try and get pictures up later.  :D

sorry - sounds dodgy to me. 

there's a possibility the breeder vaccinated a litter of pups that weren't healthy (which they shouldn't do) if they collapsed.

Also, even if you're let down and left with the pups surely you'd want them vaccinated as a matter of course?

After the issues with Maddie I'm a bit surprised you've bought another so soon and found a health tested litter so quickly  :D
helen & jarvis x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 07:07:11 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention and I don't know your plans but as it can be hereditary you should not breed from your male.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 11:03:35 PM »
William had only one testicle descended. We waited until he was 15 months old and then had him castrated, although I sometimes wish he'd just had the undescended one removed and the normal one left, as the castration spoiled his coat. His missing one was right up in the abdomen, so I'm sure that having it removed was the best option to ensure it couldn't become a problem later on.

As bluegirl says, it can be hereditary, so your boy shouldn't be used for breeding. I now know that it's a fault that is in William's fathers bloodlines.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 07:00:14 PM »
I would not worry about his testicle at this early age.  One of my male pups that a friend had from me was just coming upto 12 months of age before his 2nd testicle came down.  Occasionally this does happen and time will tell but hopefully it will come down.

Regarding the breeder and i am probably going to sound a bit blunt here, but there is no excuse for not vaccinating your pup whilst he was with her at the age of 10+ weeks.  The norm is generally 1st vaccine at 9 - 10 wks and 2nd at 12 weeks.  If a puppy was still in our home at 10 weeks then he/she would without a doubt have their 1st vaccination given.  The pups immunity is covered by their mum upto 10 weeks but at this time they should have their 1st injection.

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie