Author Topic: New to cockers  (Read 1485 times)

Offline jla

New to cockers
« on: June 17, 2009, 12:41:13 PM »
I hope to be bringing home my new working cocker baby in a few months time and while I am an experienced dog owner (GSDs) I have never had this breed before.  We've spent a lot of time researching the breed etc and found a good breeder but I was wondering if anyone has any advice / things to look out for with a working cocker pup that I might not be used to having had Shepherds before.
I'm slowly kitting us out with smaller versions of everything (crate, dog bowls, suitable toys, collar, lead etc) as the normal 'hand me downs' will be far too big! 
Are there any breed specific traits / behaviours I should be on the look out for? 
I've heard some people say that WCS are terrible diggers - is this true?

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: New to cockers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:06:41 PM »
If you've been looking into the breed you'll know that working Cockers are bred to be working gundogs, certainly good breeders will have pups coming from good working stock with the aim of breeding better gundogs. To that end they are busy, active little dogs, most of which have very strong hunting instincts, drive and stamina and who are really at their happiest when doing their 'job' of hunting and flushing.

My last dog before I had the working Cockers was a GSD too and they are very different (we always had working Springers as well though so I was used to spaniels). Sasha my GSD was very much a 'tell her once and she'll do it' kind of dog whereas workers are a bit more, well, work. They like to think about what's in it for them before they do anything and if you can make them think that it was their idea then so much the better. They are stubborn and can be devilish which Sasha was not, she was a much more straightforward dog and much easier to train - not that workers are less intelligent, far from it, but as I said, they are a lot more stubborn but also more sensitive in a lot of ways and are more of a challenge. Sasha was active but not in the way the workers are when they're in working mode when they go like rockets and are extremely driven. The breeds have been developed for very different things, a working gundog is just a different proposition to a pastoral breed.

As for digging, some of them dig and some don't, I've had 3 workers and only one of them was a digger and burier but the way he went at it I think he must have been an undertaker in a previous life :lol2:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline jla

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 03:35:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I've got 2 working shepherds at the moment, very high drive and can be 'tough' to train.  The youngest especially will work and work but if he thinks he is getting it wrong (or if there is something to distract him) he will shut down!  You can also sometimes see the 'what's in it for me' look in their eyes!

So, I shall gear myself up for persistance  ;)

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »
My worker goes against common traits, not interested in digging and not impressed by water at all! However, Nic describes other traits to a tee. She will look for any hedge or bush wherever we go, she could have 100 acres of open space and she would search for a bush and spend half and hour in it, ad they run and run and run  :luv: They hate getting a row and their face when they are norty is hard to resist Example: I went out today for an hour and stupidly gave her the run of the house....although I put stair gate across - I come home to her on wrong side of the gate and 3 bedroom bins ransacked and contents shredded  >:D All I had to say was 'Molly' in a gruff tone and she came slinking along cowering, ears back, tail between legs ready to be thumped. Funny thing is I've never lifted a finger to her in my life  :-\ she wrapped her paws around my neck as i sat on the floor clearing up the mess as if to say 'Forgive me mummy'. Of course I start laughing. She is so sorry she won't do it again....until the first opportunity left alone with a bin :005: :005:
Anyway, they are tonnes of fun and so affectionate you forgive them all  :luv: :luv:
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 05:44:36 PM »
Hmmmm...not sure what to say really, but BEWARE! I have Chloe, a 13 month old working type with a very strong working drive and I must admit she's not easy to handle. As Nicola says, these dogs are bred to work and if you don't work them, you have to provide other things to occupy them. If I had my time over again, I wouldn't say I WOULDN'T get a working cocker, but I would have made damn sure I had help with training her and turning her strong drive into what she should be doing iyswim. Chloe is an amazingly chilled dog in the house, but once she's outside, off-lead, and gets anywhere near birds or sheep, I may as well not exist. I don't want to put you off, I still think working cockers are the best little dogs in the world, but they are seriously hard work. Chloe is my first dog, so I don't really have any other dogs to compare her with, but I don't need to be an expert to know what these little dogs need....I would have done things very differently if I'd have known about COL before I got her  ;)
Anyway, as I said, I don't want to put you off, and I hope you have wonderful times with your dog...for all that Chloe is hard work, I wouldn't swap her for the world  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline jla

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 06:37:43 PM »
I teach and compete in obedience and agility so my new little one already has a 'job' lined up for when they are ready but thanks for all the feedback.  Keep it coming!

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 06:39:46 PM »
Well you're off to a very good start then....wish you lived near me...you could help me train Chloe  :lol2:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline mcphee

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 07:02:59 PM »
The previous descriptions of workers seem very fair to me. However, I have Rufus. Father working dog with gamekeeper on Goodwood estate, mother worker kept more domestically as pet (but kennelled), and worked at weekends. The second training class I used was run by GSD breeders who bred for the police and competition obedience, and show. Before going to them, I used KC foundation classes. Rufus failed twice and was known as Rufus the Reprobate. The GSD trainer described Rufus as off the wall at 15 months, but did help me work wonders on down sit, come, and stay.This, however was inside a scout hut! I started agility to help Rufus begin to focus on me. He was much more wayward than the other dogs, and was the only dog in 10 years to find a gap in the fence when he saw a rabbit go by. He is now quite good, but I have to slow him down for accuracy on contact points and weaves. I do think Rufus's instinct may be a bit of throwback genetically. He caught his first rabbit at 5 months, and so far this week has caught a pigeon and another bird. He is 4 and a half. Despite his extremely strong hunting instinct, and lack of biddability, he is calm and affectionate at home (until he sees a creature out of the window). I am sure with your experience you will find it much easier and quicker than I did.

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »
I've got a 8 month working cocker. He's been an absolute joy to train and picks up things so quickly. VERY active, but that's what I wanted. A thousand times better and happier off the lead than on.

How chilled he is in the house depends on how much exercise he's had that day. If I don't invest the time with him he doesn't settle well and is constantly bringing you things to play with.

I'm biased, but I think they're a fantastic breed of dog. They give as much back as you put in.
 :D

Offline jla

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 08:50:24 PM »
I intend on clicker training pup from day 1 and try to focus on a specific toy that is only used at training which *may* help but I must admit I am a bit 'scared'.  :o  I know my Sheps but this will be new territory.

westwcae - your boy sounds like my youngest!

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
Then he must be a little sweetheart  :luv: :luv:

Don't panic. You'll be fine. You seem like you've already done loads of research. Harvey grasped the idea of the clicker straight away. The breeder I got him from had already taught him his name so that was a massive help. :lol2:

When do you pick him up?

Offline Henshallboys

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 10:51:08 PM »

Hi, we have two worker boys Bramble & Beri who are now 19 months and litter brothers, they have been a joy and we have had no problems at all . Nicola describes the worker very well they have a definite instinct to work and you have to deal with the energy and constant searching and carrying things around. They need quite a lot of exercise each day and then when you come home they could still carry on  :blink:

We adore them however and they are such little characters I can watch them all day and the games they play together....latest one is biting each others bums !! its hilarious, they nip each others bottoms then run away.   They are not big diggers....they pulled out a few bedding plants last week but in general they don't dig.  They adore water however, including our small pond.  They carry everything and anything Bramble in particular can carry up to 5 items in his mouth at once.....they don't destroy just gently carry around and wag their tails like crazy as if to say arnt I clever mum.   

They are both very sweet natured and we have seen no aggression at all from them, they love everyone and everything......maybe not next doors chickens though  :005:
Carole & Alan....Bramble, Beri & Holly

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 10:57:41 PM »
Hi there, and welcome to COL.  Murphy was my first ever dog, and boy did he dig, I was afraid he's start barking with a Aussie accent one day the depth that boy went to!  it was never in my garden though, always when we visited his 'cocker mum' at the breeder or in my MILs veg patch  :005:

He was a joy to train, and as long as I drain his energy, mental and physical, he is a great pet. He is 6 now and still has an eagerness to learn and please that has never left him, and I doubt ever will. 

Good luck with your puppy  :D
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline jla

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:48:43 AM »
He will be a she  :005:  We've got 2 boys and a girl already and another girlie will fit in better I think.  She's not born yet! but we will be picking her up end Aug/early Sept assuming all goes well.

The breeder I have found likes her pups to leave knowing their name, recognising the whistle and knowing a few commands (sit) so basics will be installed which will be great news.

What I hear is that I need to treat new baby the same as I do my working boys as they need the mental and physical stimulation.  And make sure I have lots of toys around to be carried!

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 09:51:04 AM »
He will be a she  :005:  We've got 2 boys and a girl already and another girlie will fit in better I think.  She's not born yet! but we will be picking her up end Aug/early Sept assuming all goes well.

The breeder I have found likes her pups to leave knowing their name, recognising the whistle and knowing a few commands (sit) so basics will be installed which will be great news.

What I hear is that I need to treat new baby the same as I do my working boys as they need the mental and physical stimulation.  And make sure I have lots of toys around to be carried!

You got it!  :D
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.