Author Topic: Pulling  (Read 720 times)

Offline fasalldes

Pulling
« on: July 22, 2009, 02:29:21 PM »
Duke is 4 months old and we have the pulling problem eating everything that moves in front of him if he see,s an aproching tree he pulls even harder, we,ve tried stopping and sitting. He is walked in a harness and a collar, we use this as it helps control him when he gets so excited he does a back flip. I have tried walking him without the harness and my arm ached so much when i got home it felt like it had been pulled out of socket. I don,t want to buy a halti i don,t think this will help, my opinion is that cocker spaniels are mad and i,ve got myself one thats total barmy.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Pulling
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:57:52 PM »
I'm not sure whether you are asking for advice or not but have moved your post from the old Behaviour thread you had added to and started a new one here :blink:
Jane

Offline I love cockers

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:14:08 PM »
Hi I have a 4 month puppy and she can be quite pully - I wouldnt call her mad ....just eager to get out and about and explore the great outdoors! - i have used the technique of changing direction whenever she pulled ever since we have started going out on the lead and she has moments of walking really nicely now - which i praise - and then a minute later she sees a leaf and pulls to try to get it  ::). So whenever she pulls i turn round and take 3 steps back (making sure she turns round and does the same) and then turn round again and continue in the direction i want to go in. I'm usually trying to head to the field to let her off but there have been times when its taken us so long changing direction that we havent reached the field.

I just have a flat collar and lead for her

Offline fasalldes

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 08:44:55 PM »
that sounds like a good idea, i,ll try that sorry if i did,nt seem to ask for advice its just the way i explain myself. Duke is quite well behaved at sitting and giving his paw its just the walkies we are struggling with at the moment.

Offline fasalldes

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 08:49:47 PM »
thank you Jane how do i find the new behaviour posts just incase i want to start another post i cant find it on the home page

Offline black taz

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
I used a halti on Taz for a couple of weeks, which gave the chance to reward him when he walked well - i was amazed how quick he learned.  The other trick i sometime use if he has a relapse is to walk as close as posible to a wall, fence, hedge etc, with taz on the inside (ie: between the object and me) so his head is just at the side of my knee but not enough room for his body - that way he cannot get in front of me and pull.