Author Topic: Upset tummy  (Read 959 times)

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
Upset tummy
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:43:46 AM »
Ollie who is 19 weeks old has had an upset tummy for a couple of days now (very runny poos), but is his normal mischievous self .  This morning I have started him on chicken and rice, but he is leaving the rice, is there something else I can mix with the chicken that will also settle his tummy.  Your advice much appreciated.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
Re: Upset tummy
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »
Just chicken and rice should do the trick
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:01:42 PM »
you may find white fish a little kinder on his tummy than chicken  :-\   I also swear by a little tree barks (slippery elm)  powder for settling runny poos and soothing sore tummies

http://www.dorwest.com/Catalogue/Dietary-Supplements/Tree-Barks-powder

(you can get it from your local herbalist too)

hope he's better soon  :luv:

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:12:45 PM »
Oh I feel for you as my boy has been poorly a couple of times with his tummy lately. I think there are a few bugs going round. Make sure he's hydrated, but if he's still his perky self then I wouldn't worry to much just now. My poor boy has been really down and not eating at all. He's back to himself now and we hope we've got it for good now, bless him. I've also been reccommended the slippery elm, but couldn't find any, so thanks for the link Jann. I will buy some for future use. You could try a little scrambled egg. Something else I've been giving Dru on a recommendation is Total plain Greek yogurt and he loves it. Good for settling the tums. Not to much though.  ;) Hope your little man is better soon, but it is a good sign he's still himself and still eating.  ;)
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 04:35:58 PM »
Pro Kolin is another thing you could try - a liquid you put on his food - I bought some online. Also, try pasta or cooked potato instead of rice? Hope he is better soon.  :D
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 04:45:02 PM »
Thanks Sheepscheeks, as I've quite and bit of chicken left I'll try him with pasta in place of the chicken and see if he likes that any better.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 06:14:31 PM »
I always use slippery elm too, can get it from any good health store.
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Eve

• Donator
    • www.yvonnehughes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »
I've always found live natural yoghurt on their food helps settle upsets tummies.

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
I always use fish and rice plus Pro Kolin  :blink: and if really poorly over a few days.... Canikur
hope Ollie is feeling better soon

Offline mooching

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 12:10:27 AM »
If you chop the chicken up really small, it will mix in better with the rice (the rice needs to be really well cooked and soft - I've found basmati works better than long grain, as it's more inclined to go soft and a bit sticky).

It's ok to use a little pasta, or even some plain toast, but the thing is that both contain wheat, which is a common allergen, and thus not necessarily as easy on the tummy as rice.

Having said that, my Alfie wouldn't eat rice either at that age when his tum was upset, and found a way of leaving most or all of it. So I did his chicken with some little bits of dry wholemeal toast, and he was fine with it. A couple of times I gave him a little scrambled egg with toast, instead of the chicken with rice/toast, and that went down a treat as well.

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 09:06:26 PM »
Thank you all so much for your suggestions.  The chicken and pasta is going down very well!  I think Ollie thinks it's his birthday!  Don't know how I'll get him back on the dried kibble once his tummy is back to normal.  He never was very keen on his dried food, think he will be rather disappointed with the chicken and pasta come to an end!

Offline mooching

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 11:14:50 PM »
Thank you all so much for your suggestions.  The chicken and pasta is going down very well!  I think Ollie thinks it's his birthday!  Don't know how I'll get him back on the dried kibble once his tummy is back to normal.  He never was very keen on his dried food, think he will be rather disappointed with the chicken and pasta come to an end!

When Alf had an upset tum, I carried on the chicken and toast for a few days, gradually mixing some kibble in with it, to get him used to it again.

Is Ollie still on the Royal Canin? When he's back on 100% kibble, you could always try moistening it with a little hot/warm water before you give it to him, not to soak it and make it soggy, but just to moisten it, to release the aroma for him.

Offline Terri in Devon

• Ollie
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
Yes, he is on Royal Canin but not that keen even with a little warm water added.  I might try adding a little grated cheese to see if he is more inclined to eat it.

Offline mooching

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »
Yes, he is on Royal Canin but not that keen even with a little warm water added.  I might try adding a little grated cheese to see if he is more inclined to eat it.

He probably will be, but be careful because by adding something you could be encouraging him to be fussy (unless it doesn't matter to you that you may then always be having to add something or other to get him to eat it).

My Alfie was on Royal Canin a while back, but when the half price offer at our local pet shop ran out, I switched him to Arden Grange, and the look on his face was priceless as he noticed he was having something different which he clearly found yummy. (I switched him over over 4 days, but even when there was only a quarter Arden Grange and three quarters Royal Canin it made a difference for him). He woolfed it down like never before, so I have kept him on it. I also like that Arden Grange Adult food has 3 different varieties (Lamb, Chicken and Salmon) so that means he can stay on the same brand but still have some variety.

Arden Grange are also very good at sending out sizeable samples, if you fancied trying him on it.