Author Topic: gypsy is freeeeeeee!!!!!  (Read 936 times)

Offline ebony girl

gypsy is freeeeeeee!!!!!
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:58:07 PM »
little gypsy is now 13 weeks and has been able to go for walks for the past 4 days.........i always start as i mean to go on (some may agree and some wont)....took her to the park with ebony (2) and let her off lead straight away, had a pocket full of yummy,smelly treats and she has happily pottered round all week and has come back to me on first recall....

both my dogs have been amazing at recall....either im really lucky or they're just a couple of mummy's girls  ;)

Offline mrsandmrs

• Indi
Re: gypsy is freeeeeeee!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:11 PM »
Congrats on your Freedom Gypsy  :luv:

And well done you for clearly having great recall skills! I am reasurred to read this as thats exactly how we are hoping to start (and go on) with Indi when the time comes! I'm a tad over protective and worry about other dogs coming after him or something, i know this is my issue and that I need to be calm and assertive with him so he doesn't feel the need to be pack leader etc so its refreshing to see that it can be done  :clapping: :clapping: so well done you  :D I hope we have the same success!!xx

Offline grracee

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
Aww, I bet she loved it!  ;) Sounds like she had a fab time :luv: Toby is off out for his first ever walk tomorrow as he had his second jabs last weekend - can't wait!  :D

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »
have been teaching her recall in the house and garden for the past four weeks and she's very much a mummy's girl and follows me everywhere...i think the key is having a good bond before you let them off lead......also she has ebony as a leader which always helps  ;) ;)

our park is very safe, and we live in a close knit village so if i see a dog i dont recognise instantly i call gypsy to me (as i do ebony) before the dog gets close....

i am loving walking 2 dogs.....cant wait for number 3  ;)

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:32:24 PM »
We've let our pups off straight away as well. I think at that age it's natural for them to keep close to their 'family' and lots of training and good associations set the foundations for when the teenage months come and they start running off  ph34r :005:. Wish I had Millie from a pup cause I'm sure I wouldn't have the problems I have now if she'd been trained properly  >:(.

Millie

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »
Yes, I let Odie off straight away too, he had perfect recall.... until 6 months old and he went 'deaf' >:( :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline maddy74

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 11:40:45 PM »
lol geordietyke, i have a 6 month old dog that doesnt listen, wen does their hearing return....???:005: :005:

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 07:39:53 AM »
Yep its the general consensus her on COL that you should find a safe place for their first walk and let them offlead, I think most have and havent looked back ;) I was petrified at first about letting Belle off my OH was mortified at the thouight, this was down to our cavie (now at the bridge) having no recall at all, she would just run off in the opposite direction as fast as she could spent numerous nights in the pound etc until she was found :-\ but I never let her off as a pup I was too protective of her :embarassed:. Anyway both Belle and Monty have excellent recall Belle can be dodgy around birds though so I am always on the look out but Monty bless him he is 100%. What I really love is that if the front door is left open and the dogs get out the front garden to join me withe the gardening or to greet me they will never leave the boundries of the house, my extended family and neighbours panic if they see them bounding down the drive and I will say don't worry they won't go anywhere and they don't  ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »
Its great when you can let them free isn't it. I've always let all of mine off lead as soon as they've been allowed out. Woody was ace to start of with until he ran away from me last weekend at a COL meet as well (was just a tad mortified) He's had a poorly knee though so I let him off this once. Him and especially Chip have selective hearing and go off together in their own little world sometimes. They're never too far away though when mummy has lots of treats!  :005: Enjoy your walks with Gypsy  :luv:

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »
Oh lucky wee Gypsy, and what a good girl! It's really important to establish the recall at this age because 'deafness' is very common in adolescent doggies in my experience. They suddenly get an extra dose of boldness. Recall's especially important in my area because we don't have enclosed parks or anything, just lots of forestry paths, many with dark pinewoods at either side. So you may be sure I'll be working extra hard on Penny's recall. I hope she's as good as Gypsy!

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
Lucky little Gypsy getting her freedom, it is a moment of great joy (tinged with panic) when they go free for the first time.

Still as you say she has Ebony as a role model so I am sure she will be fine with big sis and her mum to keep her safe.  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline sallyb

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 08:06:14 AM »
Yes, I let Odie off straight away too, he had perfect recall.... until 6 months old and he went 'deaf' >:( :lol2:

My 4 year old girlie was the Teacher's pet of her puppy class - practically perfect in every way.
Then adolescence hit and  >:D

It lasted 12 months or so then she settled and her recall (to a whistle) is very good.
I am on a loser if there are deer or hedgehogs involved but otherwise she's a star.

The puppy still stays close but he is hitting his teenage stage at the moment and is quite obnoxious so I'm expecting to be walking on my own again soon carrying two leads, yummy treats and whistling madly  :005:

Offline Rufus MacD

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 10:54:49 AM »
Congrats on your Freedom Gypsy  :luv:

And well done you for clearly having great recall skills! I am reasurred to read this as thats exactly how we are hoping to start (and go on) with Indi when the time comes! I'm a tad over protective and worry about other dogs coming after him or something, i know this is my issue and that I need to be calm and assertive with him so he doesn't feel the need to be pack leader etc so its refreshing to see that it can be done  :clapping: :clapping: so well done you  :D I hope we have the same success!!xx

Even more likely to come to you if you have food!! :005: :005: