Author Topic: Crate help for new puppy  (Read 455 times)

Offline mkidd

Crate help for new puppy
« on: July 11, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »
Hi all

I have been reading through past posts on the site and found everything very useful, but I just need a bit more clarification on crate training before we pick our new pup up at the end of the month.

- The crate we have bought is the right size for a cocker when fully grown, so should we allow her access to the entire crate space from day 1 or block part of it off? Dont want her to have enough space to think of an area as a toilet!
- Should we cover the entire bottom of the crate with a blanket/bed? Again concerned that if there is an accident we will be washing blankets/beds quite a lot.
- Could anyone that does not have their pup with them in their bedroom at night comment on night time toilet training? Should we leave the crate open in the kitchen with paper/puppy pads down? I know this may cause a bit of confusion but would think it wouldn't put them back in their training too much would it?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure that we have everything planned out before the big day.....whether any of the plans will come to fruition is another matter!

Thanks in advance

Offline Sara_Clara

Re: Crate help for new puppy
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 01:38:54 PM »
Hi there,

We have had our pup for just over 2 weeks now and is 11 weeks now.  We can't have the crate in our bedroom as husband has asthma so it is downstairs.  It is big enough for her when she is an adult. We put vet bed at the far end and a puppy pad in front and close the crate door at night.  she cried quite a lot the first night but we didn't go down to her (hard hearted I know) but now she settles easily at night about 10pm and just starts to cry at about 6.30am in the morning to be let out.  She has always used her puppy pad in the night but I am sure that is normal for such a young pup who isn't house trained yet.  I have had to wash the vet bed a couple of times as it has caught the edge but not often.

Hope this helps and the only other advice I can give is enjoy your rest/peace and quiet now before pup arrives.  We can't believe how tired we are now.  Just like when our children were babies.  Still they're worth it.
Puppy Colour: Chocolate Sable Roan
Puppy DOB: 25.02.24
Puppy Name: Murphy
Mummy Name:  Sara

Offline mkidd

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

May have to go and get another bed as the one we have is designed to cover the entire base of the crate which isnt ideal if a pup is going to potentially poop on a pad that is also in there.

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »
From what i remember having Bella, we didn't buy a bed we used a cardboard box with vet bed in it. I've got pictures of her this tiny bundle in this huge crate.
We're getting our puppy later this week and i've bought a piece of vet bed off e-bay which i've cut into three. Just in case - one for her bed, one in the washing machine and one drying.