Author Topic: What exactly is hand stripping?!  (Read 473 times)

Offline sarahm2008

What exactly is hand stripping?!
« on: May 28, 2012, 03:35:28 PM »
We are picking our gorgeous new pup in July (excited!) and I have been reading lots of different stories about professional grooming and if you dont get your dog hand stripped initially then you cant go back?
Im hoping at some point when he is old enough, to do agility and possibly even show him -although I know very little about this at the moment however I gather you can only show them if they have been stripped? (this is probably wrong?)
Obviously I dont know anything about this but im hoping someone can shed some light on hand stripping-what exactly it is, and how you can tell if they have been hand stripped or not? also does it hurt?
Thankyou in advance :-)

Offline jaybee

• Donator
Re: What exactly is hand stripping?!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
Have a look at this sticky here:

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=71.0

When done correctly, and when the coat is ready, it should not hurt your dog :)

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
thankyou I have had a glance through, will have a good read later - am I right in thinking then you dont do anything until the fur is ready to be stripped for the first time (could even be 8 months) and then get them stripped? is this something a novice could do with the right tools or should i get it done professionally / go on a course with him for the day to learn?
I tried to reply to the long hand stripping post but couldnt as it was so long!

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »
If you go onto the grooming board and have a search, there are lots and lots of posts about handstripping.

You can learn how to do it. There is a DVD on the subject I believe (again, see the grooming board), or some people learn from their breeders who also show. I use a rubber band threaded through a metal comb, and it works a treat. It does the same as handstripping, removes the dead undercoat. Bingley is just seven months and I have my first go this weekend. He is usually a nightmare when being groomed, but he actually seemed to enjoy it. It's amazing how much I got off in just a short 5 minute session.

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »
Does the breeder show?  If so she will be able to give you some pointers/ advice. That's how I learned.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 04:55:36 PM »
thankyou, I think I will give it a shot-I will do lots of research. Unfortunately the breeder doesnt show

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 04:57:47 PM »
Don't be put of or scared of it, i was a little at first as i'd never heard of it before I got a cocker and came one here  :005:
If you can't find someone to show you, or are wary of trying it, the rubber band and comb method is a really good starting point. My grandparents have terriers and they have always clipped them. I showed them the rubber band trick and they were amazed.

Offline Jonnydog

• Donator
  • Penny Black - b. 7/5/2011
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 05:54:49 PM »
The rubber band trick worked really well for Penny when her puppy coat started to come out at around seven months. We used a Coat King to get out the rest and at the moment her coat is flat and silky without much undercoat. She visits the groomer fro a tidy up every seven or so weeks and gets a good brush and comb through most days. So far so good  :luv:

Jess - my little companion 2003-2011