Author Topic: fetch!!!  (Read 340 times)

Offline sarahm2008

fetch!!!
« on: November 07, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »
Sandon finally enjoys chasing a ball when thrown however he TOTALLY doesnt understand the concept of bringing it back! Im sure this is the same for all puppies however how do you teach them?! I have tried rewarding him with a treat but as soon as he realises I have treats he stops playing and just sits by my pocket waiting for them!!!

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Re: fetch!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »
When Riley came to me with the ball I would take it from his mouth and say give, then give him a treat with the other hand.
He soon got the hang of it and started dropping the ball into my hand.
He WONT play however if there is no treat involved, greedy spaniels  >:D

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:40:35 AM »
Forget the ball for a while and try a rolled up sock that you have worn, and only do a couple of retrieves a day.
Let the pup run around with the sock in his mouth the idea is to get him to be used to carrying the retrieve item, lay on the floor he will eventually bring it to you or do this in a hallway so he has to bring it to you. but crouch down low don't be in any rush to take the retrieve from the pups mouth.
The sit before the throw and straight back to you with perfect delivery can all come later, at this age it just has to be fun fun fun .
Once he picks up the sock no problem cut the toe off the sock and use it to cover the ball, then cut a bit more sock off then a bit more until there is just a thin band of sock around the ball eventually you will be back to just the ball.
 Forget the treats for now you want the retrieve to be the treat.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline cart1984

• Marley
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »
This is a good one, as Marley is a fetchaholic now and will retrieve balls etc all day even if no treats are involved.....

However how we trained him to be like he is i honestly dont know :S

Im sure we must have threw the ball and stuck with one command of "Fetch Marley" and whenever he brought it back and left it we would give him a treat..... but i cant think of a time he didnt fetch like he does now so he must have picked it up quick.

Id say try sticking with rewarding him when he brings it back and it will click im sure!
[/url]