Author Topic: A bit of advise please  (Read 423 times)

Offline Joskelly

A bit of advise please
« on: November 09, 2012, 10:45:21 AM »
This may all be completely normal, but just wanted to check.

Last night I gave Dexter some cheese as treats for sit/down.

Well after that he was literally bouncing off the walls for 2 hours!  He was snapping, pulling the blankets off his crate, trying to take the coals off the fire and generally just into everything at about 100 miles an hour!  I took him outside in the garden for 20 minutes playing ball with him but he was still at it when he came in until he wore himself out.

Could this be the cheese?  Or I have put a little bit of paste on his kibble for the past few days as he didn't seem too interested in it, I have also given him a little peanut butter in his kong.  Am I doing something wrong or is this just completely normal behaviour???

I can't wait until we can start getting out of the house on short walks and runs in the park, I am sure he is bored of being stuck at home.

Joanne

Offline Millie12

Re: A bit of advise please
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »
Im not really much help as i am new to this cocker/ puppy buisness myself  :005: i must admit tho Millie will have a mad outburst some nights, i call it her mad half hour where she will spring into action having a fight and growl with her teddy rolling around trying to pull the curtain down which she know she gets a telling off for  :005: having a good old bark and chinwag at us whilst she runs around, must admit she is pretty funny and will normal flake out all night then afterwards. id say that is millies normal routine when she gets abit 'on one' millie can go out for walks and i must say she does love it but some niights she will have a good old mad play. i have read in another post maybe the pup can be over tired when barking and being in a type of frenzy. like i said im not experienced to offer advice just what my pup is like, from one mad cocker to another  :005: im sure someone will be along to help soon x

Offline Joskelly

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 11:25:38 AM »
Thanks for that.  Millie sounds very much like Dexter normally does  :005:  It is just that last night it seemed to gon on for so much longer  :-\  Hubby says no more cheese for Dex as he seems to think it was that  :dunno:

Still love him to bits though :luv:

I have only heard him bark twice in 3 weeks!  He is not a very vocal pup at all  :lol2:

Offline Millie12

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 11:36:28 AM »
they are funny arnt they :005: we hadnt really heard millie but i took her to my parents (they spoil her  :P) and she began having a good old woof at their cat as if it was her house ha she was funny, more inquisitve but too scared to go any closer than a metre near the cat, Sammie the cat just looked at her as they do lol, ever since we have heard her more vocal but like i said more when she is 'on one' or is telling us she wants to get on the couch  >:( not when she wants to go out though still thinks we are telepathic  >:D shes a sweetie tho just them eyes and ears, butter wouldnt melt eh  :luv:

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »
Yes, most have a mad half hour or so - then just flake out on the floor.

Dexter will be much better when he can be out and about.  Just a thought, was it processed cheese?  Sometimes there are some strange additives lurking in our food to be aware of.

Pat

Offline Joskelly

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »
It was mild cheddar, and I have heard that it is good as a treat  :-\  Maybe he just got overexcited as he enjoyed it so much  :005:

Offline beanbag

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 02:47:27 PM »
I dont know whether its the same or not, but my folks dog does this. She gets crazy over excited runs around and then after about half an hour gets a bit snappy and chews on her towels and is just generally naughty. They eventually discovered this was because she was over tired and she still gets like it now. If she is over tired she gets very mouthy.