Author Topic: Thoughts on slip lead?  (Read 3415 times)

Offline russ-g

Thoughts on slip lead?
« on: October 12, 2022, 04:14:01 PM »
Hi,

I know this may be a contentious subject, but I'm interested to hear about any experience you may have had with a slip lead for your cocker?

I see lots of videos online (albeit many are American) where they seem to work very well, and for cockers they seem to be used a lot for working dogs. If this is the case I may like to try one. Also, is there a minimum age? Mine is only 16 weeks.

Thanks
Russ

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Thoughts on slip lead?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2022, 09:54:10 PM »
I think the most important thing to remember when using a slip lead is to make sure you put it on correctly or you may end up choking him when he pulls.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2022, 09:56:14 PM »
Our Gemma, wcs, now 11 years old has only ever been on a slip lead, both when working and on daily walks Except when she went through her "I am a train" stage Bless her, now when we want her back on the lead we just hold the loop at her level and she sticks her head through.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline russ-g

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 08:38:34 AM »
I think the most important thing to remember when using a slip lead is to make sure you put it on correctly or you may end up choking him when he pulls.

Do you have any details on this? I've found a few videos but none really cover it.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 09:54:14 AM »

Do you have any details on this? I've found a few videos but none really cover it.

Most slip leads as far as I can remember can be put on two ways (right and wrong) if put on wrongly when the dog pulls it will choke himself, I found the best way to practice is put it on your own wrist I have included a link from an Amazon page which hopefully explains it clearer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fida-One-Size-Fits-All-Resistant-Reflective-Stitching/dp/B08Y1SY7WT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=305HDLHWDJI12&keywords=rope%2Bdog%2Blead&qid=1665650757&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjQ0IiwicXNhIjoiNi4

Hopefully Min, who actually uses one can explain it better than me  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline russ-g

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 10:52:49 AM »

Most slip leads as far as I can remember can be put on two ways (right and wrong) if put on wrongly when the dog pulls it will choke himself, I found the best way to practice is put it on your own wrist I have included a link from an Amazon page which hopefully explains it clearer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fida-One-Size-Fits-All-Resistant-Reflective-Stitching/dp/B08Y1SY7WT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=305HDLHWDJI12&keywords=rope%2Bdog%2Blead&qid=1665650757&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2LjQ0IiwicXNhIjoiNi4

Hopefully Min, who actually uses one can explain it better than me  :D

Great, thanks!

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2022, 12:08:17 PM »
To make matters more confusing  :005: it depends on what side you intend to walk your dog.
If you make a loop with the end that isn’t the handle so the stopper and the ring are on the left hand side of the rope you will have made a p shape.  With dog facing you slip this p over the dogs head.  This the correct way for a dog walking on the left side.  If you intend to walk your dog on the right, make a 9 shape in the loop and place around dog’s neck. You can easily see if you have put it on correctly as if you tighten the lead and let go, the lead should slacken.  If it doesn’t you need to take off and put on the correct way.  As mudmagnets has suggested, try it on your own wrist, tighten and release.
Its one of those things that is difficult to explain and much easier to understand if you can watch someone do it and then it becomes obvious.  :005:
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2022, 12:22:04 PM »
We have the o ring between my leg and the dog so the lead comes up through the ring in a straight line to your hand.  Lead then falls loose when walking.  If that makes sense
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2022, 12:37:07 PM »
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline russ-g

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2022, 03:37:32 PM »
I see, yes, that makes sense! I have ordered a slip lead :)

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 08:22:42 PM »
As an alternative......I use a Martindale sometimes called a limited slip lead ...it's like a slip lead but has a second stopper which you djyst so it doesn't act as choker...
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 11:16:38 AM »
You can also use them as figure of 8 head collar too - I use them like this for short periods if I need to (in fact my slip leads have a metal piece on them to assist with this). When I go anywhere even without my dogs I have a slip lead in my bag
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2023, 03:44:37 PM »
Other than putting the slip lead on the right way around it’s also really important to have the lead in the right place!

If you are right handed, the loop for the slip lead should be held in the right hand for security and the left hand used to guid the dog by holding the lead vertically from the dog whilst your arm/hand is in line with your left knee.  The lead should be around the dogs neck, very high up to the ears - ideally vertically to your left hand!

Using a short lead from left hand to dog, encourage heel work by giving the “heel” command only when the dog is in the correct position (head by your left knee).  Use the dogs name to get attention and correct any pulling forward with a “no” “ah, ah” or whichever command you use.  Once back in position praise and give the heel command.  Change direction often to start with, it will keep you dog on its paws and completely focussed on you.  5 minutes practice, 3 times a day for two weeks and you should have a dog that walks to heel beautifully without the need for a harness…..